+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Definition Essay - Harlem Renaissance

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Definition Essay - Harlem Renaissance

Written by L. F. "Kasai" Freeman.

The New Negro Movement

The Harlem Renaissance is described by Alain Locke as the “spiritual coming of age”, the age in which the black community is able to seize upon its "first chances for group expression and self determination." Not only was it an age in which Blacks could express themselves in a creative way, it stressed the need that African Americans felt at this time; the need to carve themselves into history as people who can and will be remembered as a strong and important race.

This blossoming period of literature, art, and music is unofficially acknowledged to have lasted from 1919 up until the early to mid 1930s. The writers, singers, and artists of this illustrious period in time were the descendants from a generation whose parents or grandparents had witnessed firsthand the injustice of slavery. With racism still rampant and economic opportunities as scarce as a piece cheese for a hungering rat, creative expression was one of the few alternatives the African Americans in the early twentieth century had left to reach out to.

The movement grew diligently in all art-forms, including: music, dance, film, theatre and cabaret. African American culture and its self expression was defined as more than just a literary movement, and even more than a social revolt against racism. The Harlem Renaissance exalted the unique mind and identity of the Negro way of life. Encouraged to celebrate their heritage and to become "The New Negro,’ we African Americans rose to the height of our self dignity."

Through the writers: James Weldon Johnson, Zora Neale Hurston, Nella Lar, Langston Hughes, Jessie Fauset, Countee Cullen, Claude McKay, and Arna Bontemps are just a few of the brilliant minds who helped ignite this raging wildfire that became a key factor in the Harlem Renaissance. Their writings were an escape from the trials and tribulations of life, such as poverty and discrimination. With the dynamic and soulful way of scribing their everyday life into words, they challenged the pervading racism and stereotypes from the larger white community to promote equality and recognition.

The artists of this time: Aaron Douglas, Lois Jones, and ÑJacob Lawrence created visuals of laughter, dancing, singing, sadness, and hope of the people. The art was something that many whites considered “primitive” and viewed many black American pieces as something unworthy of their respect. Nevertheless, to many blacks it exemplified their presence as knowledgeable human beings.

As the people of this spiritually fruitful time labored in their never ceasing way of shining light upon the black community, the world took notice. The many scribes of life, the storytellers of music and emotion, and those who render the essence of the black soul through means of creative and artful talent are the beginning to something far greater than a Negro movement. They are the inspiration in black hope.
    Last edited by Kasai; Nov 28, 2006 at 06:00 PM.
    Seduced by Flesh

Otaku toonfan630 may be famous one day toonfan630 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Definition Essay - Harlem Renaissance

I'm doing that in my English class...hmmm I'm not very interested in it. I don't get into the story enough to pay attention to the teacher.
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde.

Leave me and my simple sig alone. I like it. ^o^

Domme Kasai may be famous one day Kasai may be famous one day Kasai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Definition Essay - Harlem Renaissance

Well, this essay is an informatory piece.
    Seduced by Flesh

+ Reply to Thread