+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help?

Newbie MariaX is off to a good start
    Thanks

Help?

Hi, I am a beginning mangaka, but I cant do this alone. I have a story that I really wish to share with the rest of the world. Its about a tragic story that has many plot twists and the main character is a girl. I havent decided on names or whatsoever. I only have their images in my mind and I already know what a lot of characters are going through. I am willing to do most of the work but I really want to work with someone/people. The story is filled with family/friends/love, drama, fights, loss/abandoned, funny parts, romance and a lot of characters have a deep background. It doesnt have to be based on the real world perse, it can be a fantasy world with powers/supernatural stuff. But I dont know how or what. Its kind of based on my life a little thats why I wont be having much trouble with story line, but im willing if my coorperator(s) change a thing or two. I really want to touch the hearts of my audience with my story and I want it to be original as possible because I feel like my story will be original. I really hope there is someone out there wanting to take this shot with me

Newbie RazorCraft is off to a good start RazorCraft's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help?

So you're writing a fanfic or attempting an actual, complete manga?

Thanks

Im sorry I didnt know where to post this. Im attempting a new complete manga

Thanks

Oh, no problem; it's not like I'm a moderator or anything, plus, I'm not certain where this thread would go anyway. Considering few if any mods/admins are still active, according to what I've heard, then the thread is fine where it is, lol.

I'd like to hear more about this, as it's a difficult yet interesting endeavor.

Can you give us a summary of your main story?

Thanks

NeThanks for the interest
    A global summary of her periods of growing up..

Yes, I would like to begin with the girl telling a little about her current situation and then starting the story since she was a child, because her "hell" started when she became 6 or so and I want the audience watch her grow up as she goes through every situation.. She was already very lonely and disliked/abused and didnt have a normal youth. She was expected to behave like an adult. She grows up seeing and experiencing horrible things that traumatized her every time. She isolated herself when she becomes 9 after a dear beloved leaves her behind while she was the only one the main character had.

When she becomes a teenager life started to become harder.. She began to be reckless and annoying and asking a lot of attention. She got laughed at a lot got into fights a lot, got to learn her new talents and new way of life. Being used by males she fell in love with and friends. There were also people that inspired her. But she was doomed that everyone kept leaving her again and again. She was forced by her family making every decision they wanted her to, so she quickly began to lose herself.

Then she swore that she would fight for her existance because she became and is a very sad character.

She meets someone who changed her life and saved her from where she lived bringing her into his own life where she lives a live she never even dreamed of. But her fairy tale soon ended after that when she learns the truth about life (the fantasy/supernatural part can start here or at the beginning of the story I dont know) and she got sucked into situations she couldnt get out of.

This seems like an unoriginal story when I read this but trust me the situations she got in are very unusual.

So.. She is now abandoned. She is in a city where she knows no one. She has a lot of pain. And she spends her days all alone with no social contacts, future or whatsoever. How does she get out of this, what or who will she become?

The story devolpes to have mature content also, if thats okay. I defenitely dont want it to be a little children story because it also has a lot of dark things in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MariaX View Post
    This seems like an unoriginal story when I read this
    This is the one glaring fault that I see in your summary; a lot of it has that "been there, done that" feel to it. Bad childhood? Check. Not a social butterfly? Check. Finds out she has unique abilities? Check.

It seems like the story is entirely comprised of cliche elements and is festering in limitless drama that causes it to sink.

Further, the main character seems almost unrelatable to the reader, which will be a big turn off.

--

Having said all of that, I feel there are ways to rectify these things, especially if the story and characters were given a lot of thought and a lot of reworking over time.

First and foremost, I'd find a truly unique concept or idea to base the story around. You said you might want to include something supernatural, so why don't you look into that? You need something (other than the main character, something related to the backbone of the story) that ties all of the characters and events of the manga together. The best type of groundwork for this is to take something you're legitimately interested in, and work from there. Usually the most powerful ideas relating to the supernatural have some grounds in reality. For instance, the reason I enjoyed the manga Mushishi so much is because they never say that the "Mushi" creatures are actually spirits. They call them living beings that are so in tune with the energy of creation that only a few humans can actually see them. Further, the Mushi can sometimes cause problems for humans, such as making buildings and people disappear or causing regular and irregular disease. This is a concept widely used by most popular japanese (and western) media in relation to the supernatural.

Next, I'd look into ensuring that the reader can relate to the main character a bit more. Not so much through her experiences, but through her decisions and her mannerisms. She should have FAR more personality than being hurt/sad throughout the manga. In this case, since you're focusing on drama, instead of drowning the main character in it, show us how she copes and does her best (although perhaps futile) to rise above it in each of the experiences you share with the reader.

You should also keep certain aspects of her life a mystery, which will captivate the reader. Something that helped weave the path of the story from before it began, or something that happened to her or something she did; a decision she made-- any of these aspects could be kept a mystery from the reader.

Leaving the reader some room to fill in the blanks for themselves is also a great device to use.

I don't want to sound harsh, and I apologize if I did, but I am a huge critic of run-of-the-mill stuff, and I'd rather help you with constructive criticism and help you create an awesome manga that you and your readers will enjoy.
    MariaX likes this.

Thanks

Thank you that really helps, because I really want it to be a unique story. Thats why I asked for help because other peoples ideas also help a lot and I would like to start this story together with someone. I have no confidence in my own story because I read a lot of manga and watch a lot of anime and movies etc thats why im so needy to come with something fresh. Even if it means that my whole story needs to change, I only want some things in it to remind the main character of me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MariaX For This Useful Post:

RazorCraft (Aug 10, 2012)

Thanks

That's the first step to having a good story, did you know that?

They stem from parts of the author's real life and experiences.

That is absolutely a good foundation to start out with, but don't forget to do your research. Working with others is definitely helpful, especially those who have read and watched their fair share of unique (as well as woefully run-of-the-mill) media, and I feel you may have the means to create a pretty kick-ass manga, but creating something unique and wonderful usually takes a LONG time, y'know?

You've got to be truly dedicated to getting your ideas to the outside world and ready to accept their reactions with this sort of thing.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? You don't have to answer, but if you do answer, answer truthfully, because it will help me best discern the next bit of advice I can lend you.

Also, have you written anything before that you really thought was super-awesome and enjoyed writing it?
    MariaX likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast