+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Translated prologue (for Lasura!)

Newbie Dandoria may be famous one day Dandoria may be famous one day Dandoria's Avatar
    Thanks

Translated prologue (for Lasura!)

Hello guys,

Below here you'll find the translation of one of my originally Dutch texts. I translated it myself and so it's possible that it still contains some grammar or style mistakes. I did my best, though, and made a version of this prologue from my third book that can be read by those who don't have a command of Dutch. I hope the piece of work didn't suffer from the conversion. May you enjoy it, and please react if you find the time.

The Legend of Dandor – The doom from the past
    Prologue
    Damnation through pain

1 before Creotarian Count, 20th Alèn

Dalvan hurried up the stairs through the hall, cursing over and over again what had come to his attention. Why was he late? It was even embarrassing. Because he stood at the command of two Divine Orders, he could be expected to possess more than one pair of eyes, and a number of loyal followers who would inform him of important events in the world in good time. Anáme, the God of the Wind, did on that field a lot better, with his birds travelling everywhere and at their swift return telling him all they had heard and seen. On the other hand, Dalvan’s soul had been fragile and confused ever since that horrifying Night of Destruction, now nearly five months ago. Still, whose soul would have restored?
    “A good evening, my lord”, a priest he passed said bowing. The typifying violet-pink colour of Psyca’s emblem immediately struck next to the further white of his gown. The man’s beard was curly and reddish – for a short moment, Dalvan wrongly thought he was facing the flame god – and his nose was surprisingly big and round.
    “The same to you”, said Dalvan rather uninterested. “Where can I find Psyca?”
    “I am here”, a voice on the right replied. A woman appeared from a nearby room. With her fiery hairs, freckles and bright green eyes, she sharply stood out in contrast to the priest, but she was after all a goddess. Her nervous look gave away that she knew why Dalvan had called on her, and that became even more obvious when he spoke again.
    “I want to talk with you. No delays, no evasions. Now!”
    “Follow me”, reacted Psyca and she led him to a chamber at their left, with a balcony presenting a panorama at the city south of the temple where they were.
    “Alone, please”, said Dalvan emphatically as soon as he perceived the man was walking along with them.
    Psyca shut the door, keeping the priest outside, and silently passed her guest a glass of wine that stood ready at the crystal table as if their conversation had been predestined to take place here. Meanwhile she stared outside past the purple curtain. Dalvan realised at once that she didn’t even see the sunset. He emptied his glass in one draught, waited breathing heavily until he was sure no one else could be around anymore, and then burst.
    “Crea is dead, by D*mish!” he shouted furiously, and because he startled Psyca heavily, he briefly felt a fit of triumph. “The Goddess of Creation has expired, and you – you begin a war?”
    “That’s whole point, Dalvan!” said Psyca frightened. “Crea was murdered. Lythun – Lythun murdered her!”
    For a second the other was disconcerted, but he soon recovered. “Lythun?” he said in desperate derision. “Ridiculous! That man knows as little evil as you do! In your grief over Crea’s loss, you can’t express unfounded accusations, my girl. You have started a conflict that might destroy everything, without a chance to rebuild it –”
    “My – my accusation is not unfounded!” Psyca screamed beside herself. “Don’t put me down like that! You don’t understand!”
    “What point is there in it?” said Dalvan. “You let thousands of mortals slaughter each other in order to reach Lythun’s sanctuary – and next?”
    “I shall finish him next”, she whispered. “With this.”
    She brought out a black-scorched knife without a hilt. It looked like a part of a broken sword, with blood-red symbols carved into the edge. Dalvan noticed straightaway the dark aura it emanated, and suspicion grew in him.
    “Who gave you this?” he asked concerned. “That is a very dangerous object. One stab through the heart will wreck a god. Hand it over to me, then I’ll promise to examine it.”
    “No”, answered the woman determined. “I have a task to fulfil.”
    “Goddess of Wisdom, you will give me that weapon now!” Dalvan said tensely.
    “Get out of here!” Psyca snarled hysterically and raised the knife. Dalvan shrunk back, groped his way to the door behind his back and did not break the eye contact until the moment the wall came between them. He hastily legged it down the staircase, feeling ashamed for his cowardice. This poor woman had been possessed by an evil force, one that was new for this dimension. But what one? She would only be purified from it if somebody could show her how terrible a life-and-death struggle is, and before that time arrived, many would have to fall.
    “This will always remain a scar in her memories”, muttered Dalvan. “A blot upon her past…”

- Darehan ci darevur -

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Translated prologue (for Lasura!)

Wow!!! ^^ This was great... best fantasy of this kind I've ever read, better than mine deffinetely... quite interesting, a prologe that makes you want to read more; you've managed to make the fact that gods walk the earth even self-evident, good work with that...

Though some places were a lill bit weird, it was all ok, you're not a crappy translator... You just need more practise maybe. ^^

Nice work, I'm really intigued and really would want to see more, so if you have the time and th willing, you could translate the rest ^^ if not... Dutch! Here I come!!! ^^

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Newbie Dandoria may be famous one day Dandoria may be famous one day Dandoria's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Translated prologue (for Lasura!)

Thank you very much for this reply. It makes me smile broadly
    There's this "by Crea"-feeling coming up - how am I going to finish the remake on the first book and translate that entire book on top of it? I'd love you to read more, but it's going to be difficult to convert everything. I doubt I'll find the time, to be honest - translating this chapter took me over two hours, and I've got that remake ánd the writing of book three. To be continued in our PMs and chat conversations, Lasura. Thank you for reading.

- Darehan ci darevur -

+ Reply to Thread