Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: June POTM winner

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

June POTM winner

And the winner is...

To be a Pro-lifer - Peach_follows

A very controversial subject and a deep question of ethics...presented in a powerful and incredibly well written poem. Peach captures beautifully here the sad irony of not only those who claim to hold life sacred treating others like garbage, but also of a person who does what she feels she needs to do to be loved and accepted but in the end chooses against the life of one who could love and need her completely. Subject aside though, the rhythm and rhyme flow effortlessly and the story is told plainly and honestly, more as matter of fact than an accusation against one party or another. A great entry in terms of structure, and it also does what any ethical issue should do...causes us to apply the issue to our own morals and ideals and see just how "ethical" we really are.

Congratulations Peach_follows, as winner your poem will be stickied, showcased on the homepage and you are invited to be a guest judge for July's POTM.

Honorable mention to NeoDeath90, a very close second.
    (Great entries all around though, I was really impressed by how well you guys worked with such an unusual subject.)

Reminder...July POTM entries are due 7/30.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: June POTM winner

Congratulations Peach ! , You know I always love your work. It was an amazing read, too.

**Who are the judges for POTM, btw. Not to be rude, but you guys need to brush up a bit on what you guys are doing. I don't think you should say you are going to do something when in turn, you really aren't. I.E. -

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    Reminder...June POTM entries are due by 6/29, no later.
    And Peach turned hers in June 30th, and how ironic - she won! I'm not saying "oh Peach won, it isn't fair", because that isn't the case here. I love her poems, but if you say that poems aren't due later than the 29th, don't take into consideration a poem that was entered a day later. Because shouldn't it be disqualified? I'm not trying to get on your tail Peach, I'm just pointing out a simple flaw in the system.

Also, please do not tell us that:

Quote Originally Posted by gren View Post
    June's POTM winner will be announced by Friday, 6/11.
    ... And then give us the winner on the 14th.

I know you guys are busy and have a life as well as everyone else on here, but if you know that and realize that you aren't always going to be able to log on as often.. set the dates at a more a realistic time. And not just some hoshkabosh meaning nothing.

It's annoying.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Certainly no offense taken by me, White wolf. I never really write with the intention of winning these things anyway. I somehow missed where it said poems were to be submitted by 6\29. I sould have read more carefully. I guess I just assumed we had 'till the end of the month. I don't blame you for your frustration. Besides, quite honestly I thought YOU had it in the bag this month White wolf.

With that said I'd like to first apologize for the late entry, and hope that doesn't disqualify me. And also say thank you to the judges for considering my piece. Also, the last time I won, I neglected my oppertunity to guest judge. I didn't have readily available net access at that point (really didn't expect to win). This time I will be sure to participate in the judging. (Provided I am not disqualified.)

Lastly, to any people who take a pro-life stance... Please do not take offense to my piece. It was absolutely fictional, based on a "what if" piece of my imagination. And the piece does not reflect MY feelings about abortion beyond my ability to storytell. While I am pro-choice. I am certainly not pro-abortion. I have chosen to have and keep 2 beautiful kids, despite me being too young, and unready.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Congratulations Peach ! , You know I always love your work. It was an amazing read, too.

**Who are the judges for POTM, btw. Not to be rude, but you guys need to brush up a bit on what you guys are doing. I don't think you should say you are going to do something when in turn, you really aren't. I.E. -

And Peach turned hers in June 30th, and how ironic - she won! I'm not saying "oh Peach won, it isn't fair", because that isn't the case here. I love her poems, but if you say that poems aren't due later than the 29th, don't take into consideration a poem that was entered a day later. Because shouldn't it be disqualified? I'm not trying to get on your tail Peach, I'm just pointing out a simple flaw in the system.

Also, please do not tell us that:

... And then give us the winner on the 14th.

I know you guys are busy and have a life as well as everyone else on here, but if you know that and realize that you aren't always going to be able to log on as often.. set the dates at a more a realistic time. And not just some hoshkabosh meaning nothing.

It's annoying.
    Rules for the POTM can be found here:
    Poem of the Month (POTM) - Overview

The deadlines for entries are always the second to last day of the month...so we slipped up and let 1 really great entry through a day late...big deal. Not to mention the judges take time to read all of the entries and give them more then just a quick run through, couple that with busy schedules and the times we would like to be done with voting doesn't always work out...again big deal...it is equally as annoying to be criticized over such petty things when we are taking our time to ensure voting is not a "who" wrote the poem but instead ensuring the true winner is the best work itself. As far as who are the judges:

Gren, Chiefblackhammer, Lasura, Mechazawa, Soldat of Life, and the prior POTM winner

If you would like to know how the winner is chosen then it is like this. Each judge casts a vote for their top 3 and WHY they chose them. A top place vote gets 3 points, second gets 2 and third gets 1 point. After the judges have voted the one with the most points wins. If a tie ensues then a another person is asked to vote to break the tie. The mix of mods and regular members as well as the point system is to ensure not 1 judge can pick the winner based on their own bias and all members have a truly fair chance.

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

It would be nice to see you judges around the poetry section more, posting threads, giving input and just interacting with members. Soldat does it already, and obviously gren, it would be nice to know WHO the people that are choosing winning poems are. Like, it's a shame I didn't know all of you were part of the team.

And I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

White Wolf, if you have issues with the way the contest is run, please post a separate thread instead of junking up the winner thread. I'm terribly sorry that you're annoyed, but as you yourself stated, we the judges do have lives outside of AO and POTM, and though we try our best to see that entries are judged in a timely manner and follow the rules to the letter, we are human and occasionally miss things. We take the time to do this because we want you all to have an outlet for your artistic expression, because we enjoy reading your works, and because it's supposed to be a fun thing to do for both the entrants and judges.

All of the judges do an excellent job of reading through and analyzing all of the entries. They give their time and effort and I appreciate all of the care they put into judging. Chief has explained the system we use and I for one think it is the most fair way to judge.

If you have any other problems with POTM, address them to me personally...do not ever again try to call out the judges or make even the subtlest accusations of unfairness in this contest. You are more than free NOT to enter if you don't like the way it's run.

And to get this thread back to where it ought to be, congratulations again, Peach.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Legendary Otaku Happy Pill Champion, Monkey Mayhem Champion NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90 may be famous one day NeoDeath90's Avatar
    Thanks

Congrats to peach follows! Certainly a piece worthy of the win.

And thanks for the consideration for my poem!

*bows to peach and to the mods*
    Why hello there!

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

I must admit this was a good win Peach'... I swear on everything I love I knew you was the one to beat when I first read your poem... (I over looked your poem neo' & finally read it when the judges brought it to my attention <yours was a contender also *obviously )... N'e ways Peach you already know that I love your work, but a CONGRATULATIONS is due... ^_^

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast