+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kuru

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Kuru

An insatiable hunger pulses through me.
    Coursing through my body.. expediting the hunt.
    You reek, of a hundred souls.

My arrow has found you, swiftly.
    You cry out with the stolen voices.
    A sharpened stone slashes out an appetizing prelude.

Crimson droplets arouse my thirst.
    I open my eyes to see those who welcome me to feast.
    Exposed, like the brain which held them captive.

Roasting upon flame, they dance on the smoke.
    Your flavor of death... is my spice of life.
    The sharpened stone moves again, with the rhythm.

Dancing now, on the belly of the beast.
    So swollen with the evil you possessed.
    With pride you linger on my tongue. And like that pride. I swallow.

I will taste you now, eternally.
    The banquet of a warrior.
    The release of spirit, is my disease.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Kuru

I love a poem that is well thought out, most people would have taken the theme and just wrote on their favorite particular food; your poem was refreshing for the way it approached the subject in a very different way. Normally I wouldn't speak to the elements of a poem as I don't want to sway the thoughts of those who read it, a sort of "to each their own" interpretation, however I really felt this was deep enough it merited discussion.

Whenever I read anything I pay special attention to it's title, Kuru, a disease widely speculated to be transmitted via cannibalism gives this poem an unexpected meaning. Read it without the title and I have thoughts of tribal Africans or American Indians which believe heavily in rituals by fire and spirits within beasts. The thrill of the hunt, the beauty of death and rebirth through the sustaining of another. Read it again with the title in perspective and now those same thoughts become perverse yet gives such rational feelings to what the speaker is saying, like what it must feel like to be a vampire or Hannibal Lecter.

The speaker takes such pleasure in the hunt, the victory and savoring in the consumption of the prize, yet the title also speaks volumes about the end of the speaker:

Symptoms of kuru include:

* Coordination problems, eventually becoming severe
    * Difficulty walking (cerebellar ataxia)
    * Swallowing difficulty
    * Tremors and muscle jerks (myoclonus)

Difficulty swallowing and the inability to feed oneself lead to malnutrition or starvation.
    The very thing so enjoyed will be the thing that leads to their death. Un-able to hunt, to dance to even swallow...leading to starvation...to death...unknown to the speaker, much like the "victim" of the poem, the speaker now becomes the hunted. A prize for death.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefblackhammer For This Useful Post:

!beast (Apr 08, 2010), Japxican (Apr 08, 2010), Peach_follows (Apr 07, 2010)

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks. I was not sure what kuru was. It is fascinating to think you can get a disease from cannibalism. I know you can get tuberculosis from eating meat from animals or people infected by tuberculosis. I was about to try it but after I found that out, hell no.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

For the longest time, 'Kuru' was a disease with no known cause. But within the past decade, it's been identified as a variant of 'Mad Cow' disease triggered by the consumption of infectious prions...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    For the longest time, 'Kuru' was a disease with no known cause. But within the past decade, it's been identified as a variant of 'Mad Cow' disease triggered by the consumption of infectious prions...
    So does that mean there is no connection between kuru and rumors of people supposedly participating in cannibalism?

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    So does that mean there is no connection between kuru and rumors of people supposedly participating in cannibalism?
    It's no rumor at all, and the connection is absolute... Kuru was spread by consuming infected nerve tissue, as preserved brain tissue from victims did indicate the presence if the infectious prion protein. The same as 'Mad Cow' disease, except that the source if the infected meat consumed is from a different source
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Newbie Japxican may be famous one day Japxican may be famous one day Japxican's Avatar
    Here, there, anywhere...kinda like eating green eggs and ham.
    Thanks

I didn't know what kuru was either. But what a skillfully laid-out poem. The fact that it's written around such a thing as cannibalism while using language that only someone who knows what it is can relate: this the work of a master. I can only note possible grammatical errors (which is all I can really pick out of things, even my own work).

+ Reply to Thread