Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Themes for POTM

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Themes for POTM

April 2008 POTM

Courage

In contrast to last month's theme, or perhaps a companion to it, April's POTM theme will revolve around courage. Give us a feeling of strength, bravery, anything that speaks of a spirit that can't be broken; see if you can tug at our heartstrings with your words. In order to qualify, your entry must provide an example of courage. Everything else, title, structure, etc., are your call. The betrayal theme produced some of the best entries I've seen thus far in POTM, and I'd love to see the same quality of poems this month.

March's POTM winner will be announced tomorrow, 4/7.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Apologies, I've been quite busy lately and forgot all about the theme for this month's POTM. And since I can't think of anything else at the moment...

May 2008 POTM

Freestyle

Any style, subject, anything your twisted little minds can think of. Entries are due no later than May 30th. I'll look forward to seeing another round of great works.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

June 2008 POTM

Who shall debate what follows?

Ethics

As often poetry is written through strong emotions and poignant events through time. Often love seems to appear in poems of all ages have they been in the spot light in terms of controversies? Indeed they have, often because of culture and how open minded people are. Even after time passes, cultures change and evolve. But love isn't the only thing that gets people inspired: wars, religion, personal beliefs, ambition, misinterpretations and many other things are talked about as man walks on. In order to qualify, your entry must have something to do with Ethics of some form on any subject of your choice. You can take the side defending its benefit or be against it. Being neutral means showing the good and the bad equally....title and structure are for you to decide. Have fun with it, and hopefully we'll see some great new works.

May's POTM winner will be announced shortly....I think
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Thanks

July 2008 POTM

It's a gorgeous summer day here, and sitting outside in the sunshine, staring up at the deep blue sky then down at the lush green grass and lovely vibrant flowers I thought of this month's theme...

A Search for Beauty

Beauty is everywhere around us, whether it be in people, objects, or ideas. More often than not though, you have to look beyond the surface, down to the very core, to see the true beauty of a thing. How does this search begin, where does it lead, what is the result? The answers to these questions can be sought in your entries this month...

In order to qualify, your entry must have the title of "A Search for Beauty" and deal with looking for and finding what's truly beautiful. Everything else about the poem is up to you, make it as lovely and original as you can. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some stunning works!

June's POTM winner will be announced by Friday, 6/11.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Thanks

It's the 1 year anniversary of POTM! Since we started this last August, the turnout has (usually) been good and we've seen a lot of amazing works from AO members. I think (at least I hope) I can speak for all the judges when I say we've really enjoyed so many of these poems and are constantly challenged when trying to pick just one to be the winner.

August 2008 POTM

Remembrance

As is fitting for an anniversary, this month's theme is all about looking back, either fondly or with disgust, and calling out to the ghosts of the past. No title or style requirement, but in order to qualify your entry must deal with memories of days gone by. Everything else about the poem is your call, so be as original as you can and let the creativity flow.

Here's to another great year of POTM!
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

September 2008 POTM

Change

As many of us transition into our new routines this time of year. I thought this would be a good theme. Life changes. Change of heart. Even the seasons change. Qualifications of this months theme, is that your entry must (in some way) be about change. The rest is up to you. Have fun!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks

October 2008 POTM

Freestyle

Sorry, I had a much better theme idea, but sort of ran out of time to really get it going. Maybe next month. Anyway, you know the drill...any subject, any style; show us what you can do when given the freedom to do whatever you want. And as a general reminder...entries are due by the second to last day of the month...10/30 in this case, no later. I hate to see good entries disregarded because of submission well past the deadline.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Thanks

November 2008 POTM

Song

Thank you to Lasura for this idea. Please read carefully, it's going to be somewhat specific. I'm going to provide you with the lyrics to a song, and you'll pick some lines from it to write your poem.

The Ballad of Paper Ships
    Artist: Odessa Chen
    Album: The Ballad of Paper Ships (2006)
    Odessa Chen
    MySpace.com - odessa chen - SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA - Indie / Folk Rock / Ambient - www.myspace.com/odessachen

on this night
    parting like oyster shells, the clouds

on this night
    I see us riding through the cornfields
    cradled in your arms

on this night
    I lay my burden down
    to sink or to sail
    wishing boats farewell

on this night
    memories like bits of paper
    blown around the streets at night
    ghosts casting nets until the morning light

so, so close
    so close, we rocked like boats anchored
    to go, to sail with abandon
    on this night

on this night
    I've played my last good song
    so turn the record player on

Pick a minimum of two lines, maximum of four, quote it at the beginning and base your work around those lines. Example:

I've played my last good song
    so turn the record player on

--Odessa Chen

(your poem that relates to those lines)

The links provided both have a clip of the song, unfortunately I couldn't find a full streaming version of it.
    So in order to qualify, your entry must follow the above stated rules. That's really all there is to it. And remember to have your entry submitted by 11/29.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast