+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 9 to 16 of 16

Thread: Ah... Novelist request.

  1. #9
    Otaku Just Pitching Champion, Mile High Club Champion, Penguin Dive Champion, Gold Strike Champion Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Always make sure to establish who is speaking when there is more than one person speaking. Otherwise your reader won't know who is speaking. When a paragraph ends and it ends with a person speaking, do not add ending quotes if the speaker begins the next paragraph (that's not a have to, but I was told your supposed to XD). As stated new speaker, new line, and becareful of switching from point of veiws, first person, second, etc.

    Those are the only things I can think of that we were suppose to do when writing a short story or novel. But in any case good luck with it ^^

    Come dance in the rain with me, no one is watching.

  2. #10
    Otaku Sneakyarrow is off to a good start Sneakyarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Currently deployed in Iraq
    Posts
    263
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    I heard from a writing teacher I had, that when you are writing about a character for a while (3 or more sentences) that instead of using he/she multiple times, you should insert the character's name instead in a couple of places.

    Est Sularis oth Mithas
    Going home soon.

  3. #11
    Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyarrow View Post
    I heard from a writing teacher I had, that when you are writing about a character for a while (3 or more sentences) that instead of using he/she multiple times, you should insert the character's name instead in a couple of places.
    oh... all this is good information but... i would really like to request some examples... just to look off of you know... cause im not all that good at followinf directions right now cause im having a bad week.

  4. #12
    Otaku Just Pitching Champion, Mile High Club Champion, Penguin Dive Champion, Gold Strike Champion Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Instead of he/she all the time:

    Lilla laughs at the boy, "Do you think you can change what has come? Do you think you can change what will happened?" She turns her back to the boy and begins to speak again, "You're just as foolish as... You are just so foolish." Her words trail off as she walks toward the doorway. "Moarn if you must, but you alone cannot change what will come." Lilla slames the door, leaving the boy alone to think and possibaly moarn.

    I hope you understood what I was saying. The paragraphy thing is simple. Ex:

    blah...top of paragraph... "If the boy cause anymore problems, lock him in the room.
    "How is your mother doing, Jo. I'll have too blah blah blah..."


    Hope you got the idea.

    Come dance in the rain with me, no one is watching.

  5. #13
    Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    375
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkened_Star View Post
    Instead of he/she all the time:

    Lilla laughs at the boy, "Do you think you can change what has come? Do you think you can change what will happened?" She turns her back to the boy and begins to speak again, "You're just as foolish as... You are just so foolish." Her words trail off as she walks toward the doorway. "Moarn if you must, but you alone cannot change what will come." Lilla slames the door, leaving the boy alone to think and possibaly moarn.

    I hope you understood what I was saying. The paragraphy thing is simple. Ex:

    blah...top of paragraph... "If the boy cause anymore problems, lock him in the room.
    "How is your mother doing, Jo. I'll have too blah blah blah..."


    Hope you got the idea.
    So you basically throw in the name when you think it will help the reader understand that like it is just abou what that person is doing?

  6. #14
    Newbie Zangetsu1101001 is off to a good start Zangetsu1101001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    none of your buisness
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    I have descided that I want to write another book but I just can't seem to get the layout or page format down corrrectly. I need someone to make up a little chart for me to go by when I am writing. A list of special rules apply to writing a novel and I would really like a summary of them...

    Thanks, Starfire

    Hey I am writing a book to. It is called the Story of Fred Cru Ger
    I am Kano Ichimata wielder the Boomarang Blade. Cross me and beware.

  7. #15
    Newbie Zangetsu1101001 is off to a good start Zangetsu1101001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    none of your buisness
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Quote Originally Posted by midnight mistress View Post
    1. Front page - basic name and title some where i the middle
    2. Header - Title
    3. Footer - page number (exempt from first page)
    4. Beginning of chapter, number of chapter and then title ( if necessary) e.g. Chapter one - The forest
    5. End of a new chapter means new page, if possible a little pattern to be repeated throughout

    theres are some i follow
    Um... I have tried doing the headre and footer thang it never works for me it always ends up the same for each page.
    I am Kano Ichimata wielder the Boomarang Blade. Cross me and beware.

  8. #16
    Otaku Just Pitching Champion, Mile High Club Champion, Penguin Dive Champion, Gold Strike Champion Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    368
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Ah... Novelist request.

    Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    So you basically throw in the name when you think it will help the reader understand that like it is just abou what that person is doing?
    Yes. It also makes it more interesting to where it keeps the readers attention instead boring them. ^^

    Come dance in the rain with me, no one is watching.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Request
    By JustLoseIt in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jan 09, 2006, 02:05 PM
  2. Ban request
    By Sinistra in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 14, 2005, 09:10 AM
  3. Request a pic...
    By andiishere in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jan 27, 2005, 04:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts