+ Reply to Thread

Thread: amateur in computer picture editing in need of aid

Newbie Charmed1P5 may be famous one day Charmed1P5 may be famous one day
    Thanks

amateur in computer picture editing in need of aid

I've been trying and failing to figure out things by myself. So I decided might as well ask. First issue is taking something out of it's existing backround without getting the horrendously pixel-ated edge on the object.

To be specific, I'm trying to take an anime person out of the backround that is different shading of one color. I have access to paint editing and gimp. I'm not sure what other specifications i can add.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: amature in compter pic editing in need of aid

This is really something that needs to be best figured out on your own then someone else telling you.

My suggestion is to use very large resolution scans. The reason for this is because you will have to shrink down the finished product to make it fit your wallpaper, hiding any imperfections you might have made in the extraction process.

Me personally, I use Photoshop's Quick Mask mode and paint on a selection using the default round brush, then using that selection, I cut the image I want out. Time consuming but it works, and I find it gets very good results.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Charmed1P5 (Aug 06, 2008)

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed1P5 View Post
    I've been trying and failing to figure out things by myself. So I decided might as well ask. First issue is taking something out of it's existing backround without getting the horrendously pixel-ated edge on the object.

To be specific, I'm trying to take an anime person out of the backround that is different shading of one color. I have access to paint editing and gimp. I'm not sure what other specifications i can add.
    well all you need to do is basically white out the area around the person and if you are trying to put him/her in another image.... the best way is on paint
    u can tottally white out the background and makes the whole thing larger.
    you copy the image that he/she is to be moved to and you hit the button that makes what ever is white seethrough this is located beneath the tool pannel . use this button after you have selected him and you are able to move him/her. this will aloow you to move him/her into the other image with out the back ground

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    well all you need to do is basically white out the area around the person and if you are trying to put him/her in another image.... the best way is on paint
    6 years of making wallpapers screams at me to tell the topic starter not to do this. MSpaint is not to be used for anything. It doesn't even save JPG files correctly (Even in the latest version of Vista they still haven't fixed it). Your best bet is to either spend some cash, and purchase a graphics editing suite (Paint Shop Pro on the low end, Photoshop on the high end), or download GIMP.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    6 years of making wallpapers screams at me to tell the topic starter not to do this. MSpaint is not to be used for anything. It doesn't even save JPG files correctly (Even in the latest version of Vista they still haven't fixed it). Your best bet is to either spend some cash, and purchase a graphics editing suite (Paint Shop Pro on the low end, Photoshop on the high end), or download GIMP.
    I do have GIMP, as I stated. Any tip on the next step?

Quote Originally Posted by starfire1036 View Post
    u can tottally white out the background and makes the whole thing larger.
    you copy the image that he/she is to be moved to and you hit the button that makes what ever is white seethrough this is located beneath the tool pannel . use this button after you have selected him and you are able to move him/her. this will aloow you to move him/her into the other image with out the back ground
    This is the method I was trying to use. However after the the backround is removed the edge of the object appears quite pixelated. One single pixel change and even when you zoom out it's still obvious that too much was cut out Which is what i'm trying to avoid. You've never had this problem?

Sorry I'm not trying to reject any feedback. I'm just trying to figure things out and I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Sazzy; Aug 06, 2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Triple posting, use the edit button in future

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed1P5 View Post
    This is the method I was trying to use. However after the the backround is removed the edge of the object appears quite pixelated. One single pixel change and even when you zoom out it's still obvious that too much was cut out Which is what i'm trying to avoid. You've never had this problem?
    when you save the picture it blends the edges... I know whats his face says not to use it but i have been using paint for a while EVEN ON VISTA and it works out pretty good.. gimp now i have no clue how to use that i have photoshop 5 and i do know ow to use that
    but i only use it for editing colors and such
    if you move the person into another back ground and save the image then it should blend the colors

as long as there is no white in the final cut you should be fine. if there is all you have to do is place a black pixle over the white/off white/ grey pixle and save and it will blen the rest in if black on white or any light color, it will be a pixleated edge
    and if so just get that color and darken it, coloring in the edge. this causes that to blend with the light color and the black to blend with the light color...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to starfire1036 For This Useful Post:

Otaku anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have GIMP as you stated then why not just render the character with GIMP's path system it saves time. Here's a tutorial for you : GimpTalk |View topic - Cutting Out Renders Using the Paths Tool

.:Seize The World With Knowlegde:.

Currently watching: Kanokon:Bleach:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:School Days:Welcome To The NHK
    .:My deviantART|My Twitter|My Forum- AW Designs -Please Join|My Facebook|My Youtube:.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to anime_8000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anime_8000 View Post
    If you have GIMP as you stated then why not just render the character with GIMP's path system it saves time. Here's a tutorial for you : GimpTalk |View topic - Cutting Out Renders Using the Paths Tool
    hey, it worked not too bad....Atleast I know how to use more of the features in gimp. Oh well on to the next step.

+ Reply to Thread