+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Artists, a Challenge for you... (Warning, pic heavy)

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Artists, a Challenge for you... (Warning, pic heavy)

I have a bit of a challenge for those on this forum who consider themselves artists. I have constructed a model, which I would love to see in Anime form. So, I'm putting out the challenge to see who can draw up a good pic of him in Anime style.

I personally either don't have any drawing skill, or at least don't know how to draw it out, cause I've seen kids draw better than me. However when it comes to model building, I've found I am much better. I enjoy building these things, it gives my brain something to do. However with my love on Anime, I guess it wasn't long till I wondered what he would look like as an Anime character. I've kept the idea to myself for a good while, but I'm finally saying stuff it & putting the challenge out there. I am willing to post a small reward to the best pics, though it will basically be AO credits, sorry.

I am curious to see what people can do with him. He is strong, but agile as well. His gun is in his left hand, the rounds coming out the top barrel, with the lower barrel & round container thing for another weapon system built into it. While he is skilled with his gun, it's hand to hand & especially swordplay he's best at & enjoys most. He stands 9 feet tall, but he is humble, just like those of his brotherhood.

I'm planning to give him a dark brown cape later on, since his back looks empty to me. If you wish to put the cape into the pic, feel free. The pins ins his back are for something I've left off, so just ignore them.

I've put his pics in the spoilers below, since they are a bit big. If you've played Dawn of War or the tabletop version DoW came from, Warhammer 40,000, then you should recognize him as a Space Marine.
     click to show spoiler

click to show spoiler

click to show spoiler

click to show spoiler

click to show spoiler

And just so you know just how tall one of his kind is compared to a normal person...

I'm not sure if there's anything I've left out, but if I have or you have any questions, feel free to ask away & I'll answer them as fast as I can.

Thankyou for reading this, & I hope to see what people can come up with soon...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Artists, a Challenge for you... (Warning, pic heavy)

Reminds me of Sazabi, Captain Power, Robocop, and Mr. T...Please don't take this as a negative remark.

The way you did this interests me, did you sculpt and chisel this one out of a block of something? Or is it just a repainted and "sultured" customization of something else? You mentioned Space Marine, did you customize a Warhammer figure or did you just use it as reference?...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hantei16 For This Useful Post:

LordCastigator (Aug 01, 2008)

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    Thanks

"I pitty the fool who thinks he can take me on..."

Games Workshop, the company who makes Warhammer 40,000 (a sci-fi table top war game, 40K to those who play), also released a spin off game called Inquisitor, which instead of the 25mm models of 40K, uses 54mm models, all highly detailed. I managed to get my hands on one of the Marines they made for it & after many hours of chopping, changing, reshaping & posing, I finally finished building him. It took ages, but I think it was worth it. Not the best paint job, but with my skills improving, I may touch it up some time in the future.

The sword is actually removable, rigged so i can take it out of the scabbard, remove the middle of the grip & insert it into his right hand so he actually holds it. His helmet is also removable, as shown above, though I must admit, that's because I used a Gundam's head. It was the most basic kit with the right head I could find, & it was hard work carefully removing the inside of it without damaging it. But, I finally did & am rather pleased with it.

I noticed a lot of people are looking at this, but no replies saying they'll give it a shot. If you need more pics of him or stuff they do, just ask & I can provide. I would love to see him in Anime form, & I know there are many skilled artists here. Any help will be appreciated...

Thanks

Okay so for the task at hand, i'll give it a shot for free. I'm not gonna take this as a way to outshine the others through a competition, not for the challenge of it, and definitely not for any form of reward unless it's a 3-month luxury vacation at the Playboy Mansion. I'd like to compliment and give justice to your efforts by doing my own take and realization of your character. And i guess i won't be needing any more reference pics for this one, all those previously posted images would do since i'd like to leave the rest to my dim-witted imagination.

Just for a heads up (and a warning as well), the last time that i drew something from the anime alley was 6 or 7 years ago. I'm never really an anime guy when it comes the creation of my artworks, and i rarely do artworks considering the fact that i am attending an art school. Just give me a couple of days for this one, i normally finish artworks under a few hours but with all the other stuff that i'm currently doing and the occasional laziness it may take a few days. So now let's just see what happens along the way...

If you still have add-ons like "my character is fond of donuts, he loves nude beaches, he loves to kill bugs with magnifying glasses" just mention them and i'll try to include it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hantei16 For This Useful Post:

LordCastigator (Aug 04, 2008)

Thanks

Thanks. Not sure what I could add. He has been know to kill a few bugs, but these kinda bugs are big enough to bite your head off .

I guess the only thing I can think of is he usually fights Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines who have fallen & decided to worship dark, evil gods. I whacked together a pic showing the bigger threats if it helps, but how you do it is your choice.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...haosForces.jpg

Hope that helps. Feel free to take your time. I've had this in my head for ages, I think a bit longer won't hurt...

Better be careful, the Mods might start thinking I'm abusing the thanks button...

EDIT:If it helps anyone, this is the kinda stuff Marines tend to get up to. It's apparently the opening movie for the upcoming Dawn Of War 2 game...
    Dawn of War 2 Trailer
    Last edited by LordCastigator; Aug 04, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Otaku Stickicide 2 Champion starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036 is making a name for themselves starfire1036's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LordCastigator View Post
    Thanks. Not sure what I could add. He has been know to kill a few bugs, but these kinda bugs are big enough to bite your head off .

I guess the only thing I can think of is he usually fights Chaos Space Marines, Space Marines who have fallen & decided to worship dark, evil gods. I whacked together a pic showing the bigger threats if it helps, but how you do it is your choice.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...haosForces.jpg

Hope that helps. Feel free to take your time. I've had this in my head for ages, I think a bit longer won't hurt...

Better be careful, the Mods might start thinking I'm abusing the thanks button...

EDIT:If it helps anyone, this is the kinda stuff Marines tend to get up to. It's apparently the opening movie for the upcoming Dawn Of War 2 game...
    Dawn of War 2 Trailer
    so is this challange still go? cause id like to try it out and if i like what ive drawn ill show ya but if i dont then you will never hear from me again LOL

Thanks

So here's an update for you:

I just started earlier this day and managed to finish several concept sketches. I may or may not upload it immediately but i'll try to include every single one of them on one big upload once the final artwork gets done. I'm usually a "give-me-something-to-draw-with-and-something-to-draw-on" kind of guy, all i need is a medium and i'm all good. This time it was different, i tried a different approach for this one, instead of immediately drawing a final artwork i've decided to kinda "detach" everything doing each part piece by piece and finding the best possible combinations later on. I drew several heads, torsoes, hands & arms, feet & legs (thighs included), and a couple of crotches. I also did a couple of equipments ranging from several back gears to utility knives. I drew a lot of inspiration and reference from tokusatu & anime characters, and from several mechas like Hyaku Shiki, Ideon, Baikanfu, Evangelion, and several others mostly "grunt" mobile suits.

I have stumbled upon a couple of "unwanted" things regarding some of your character's major parts:

*I felt that the sword was a bit off for him, he's kinda like a techno dude and his sword kinda looked like an artifact from the 12th century. Instead, i tried to give the sword a more techie design, same size but different look. Some of the sword concepts i've made resemble oversized Katanas, it might help in creating a more "Japanized" version of your character.

*I actually think that a scarf will suit him better than a cape, he carries big chunks of equipment on his back and a cape could make him look like a 24th century Quasimodo. Scarves are a striking and prominent clothing worn by several characters in anime and tokusatsu, scarves can Japanize him more than a cape. With his huge stature, a cape could make him look tyrannical but a scarf could make him look more of a "one-with-his-brothers" hero. And oh yeah, a scarf makes him look more agile.

*I made designs to replace the bird-looking logo on his chest to not make him look like another one of those Warhammer dudes, he is already your own character right? Don't worry, the designs still resemble a bird of some sort and they all look pretty okay with the breastplate.

Tell me what you think, and some add-ons if you want to.

EDIT: Maybe we should just do PMs for further updates and other whatnots regarding this matter.
    Last edited by Hantei16; Aug 06, 2008 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Add-on

Thanks

@ Starfire - Yeah, it's still open. I'm kinda curious about what various people can do with the same basic guy. If you want to take a whack at it, go right ahead! The more the merrier...

@ Hantei - It all sounds good to me. A scarf, hadn't really thought about that before. Sounds like it could work well. He also uses a variety of weapons, so oversized katanas would fit in too. As for the chest thing, it's actually a blood drop with a pair of wings coming off it, with a necklace hanging over it. Usually if there's a bird on their chest, it's a double headed eagle. Mind you, different chest crests could throw certain people off his trail, plus your drawing it, so go with what you feel is right.

This might be kinda dangerous , but feel free to draw it how you'd like. He's no statue, he would move around, change equipment, get messy & so on. In battle he's aggressive & agile yet intelligent, while out of battle wise & helpful.

I can never work out if I need to give out more details or not. I first came up with him about 10 years ago, then he later on got a physical representation & he's been hanging around ever since. Needless to say, he's got a bit of background inside my overactive imagination. I'm trying hard not to overwhelm everyone with info about him...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast