+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: File types??

Devoted Otaku Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML's Avatar
    Thanks

File types??

I was wondering, when you make an avatar or signature or something else, what kind of file type - jpg, png, gif or another one - would be the best for detailed and colorful, or well normal pics?

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Re: File types??

PNG - Allows for transparency but won't enable you to create animations. Its mostly used for Rendered images.

GIF - is not a lossless format which really means that every pixel is preserved when it is saved. It also allows you to create animations. Mostly used for animated Avatars

JPG - is a lossy image and is mostly used for Photographic images as although it compresses the image, it allows you to alter the compression. Widely used to create wallpapers, signatures and banners.
    Last edited by Sazzy; Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the uses of GIF and JPG *been corrected*
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Devoted Otaku Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML may be famous one day Alucard_ML's Avatar
    Thanks

So for avatars and signatures, would PNG would be the best then?

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Well I personally use JPG for the signature itself and use PNG for the avatar as the file size is a lot smaller and doesn't distort the image too much.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Thanks

This may be a hard question to answer, but do you think my ava could have been better if it had been saved as a PNG file instead of JPG, because sometimes when i view my avas and sigs on my computer, they look pretty good i think, but when i use them here on AO they become umm unclear and the pixels are easyer to see like on my sig, but if i look at in on my computer i cant see the pixels, well atleast not as clearly

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    GIF - is a lossless format which really means that every pixel is preserved when it is saved. It also allows you to create animations. Mostly used for animated Avatars
    Sorry, but Gif is not a Lossless format. GIF, or Graphic Interchange Format, is only capable of displaying a max resolution of 8 bits per pixel, and 256 colors.

Lossless means that no data is lost from compression.

PNG, or Portable Network Graphic, is a bitmapped image format that employs lossless data compression that was created to replace GIF, which is over 22 years old, and Animation for the format is being developed my Mozilla and is supported by Firefox 3.

Otaku anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000 may be famous one day anime_8000's Avatar
    Thanks

PNG, PNG, PNG, PNG (snickers a little) seriously though I would rather prefer Portable Network Graphics over JPG or JEPG. They sometimes seem blurry to me.

Oh and if you ever save your avatar from your signature as a png make sure you don't interlace it.

.:Seize The World With Knowlegde:.

Currently watching: Kanokon:Bleach:The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:School Days:Welcome To The NHK
    .:My deviantART|My Twitter|My Forum- AW Designs -Please Join|My Facebook|My Youtube:.

Thanks

Well i allways make the avatar first and then try to make a signature that sorta fits ^^ it's been a while since i did it the other way around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast