+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gimp to Go....Bring it with you

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

Gimp to Go....Bring it with you

I just installed Gimp on my USB thumb drive. In fact, I have the whole suite of portable apps which include Firefox. They have an entire full-fledged open office suite, an audio recording program, email client, FTP--everything. They all take a bit to start up, but once they are open, they work pretty smooth. I have a laptop with Photoshop CS, but if I don't have my laptop handy, I can always fall back on Gimp on my USB drive (on my keychain).

The beauty of this is using it while on the road on other people's computers who do not have any graphic software. Be warned that it is not recommended for USB 1.0 thumb drives--a bit too slow.

Oh, and using FF on a usb drive means that you can take your browsing preferences, favorites, passcodes, etc with you, and not leave a trace of surfing on someone else's computer.

Portable Gimp

2. The Following User Says Thank You to know1 For This Useful Post:

!jveli3 (Jan 04, 2008)

Otaku kimchi24 may be famous one day kimchi24 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Gimp to Go....Bring it with you

so is this like a internet or like some sort of surfer??
    or is this liek a digital program?

I praise the one who is able to win it all and still live for it...[/CENTER

Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimchi24 View Post
    so is this like a internet or like some sort of surfer??
    or is this liek a digital program?
    He's basically saying that you can put the prgram GIMP(a gfx software) onto a thumbdrive(USB harddrive) and use it on any computer when you plug it in.

a very ingeinious discovery!

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

>O< AWESOME!!! Thanx a billion for informing us of such wonder!! Now I dont have to wait til I'm home to work on images!!
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Otaku know1 may be famous one day know1 may be famous one day know1's Avatar
    Thanks

One other thing to note....these programs take a long time to install. Up to 15 minutes if you install the entire suite. Just let it chug away or you might corrupt the file system. I suggest using a blank USB thumb, or backup the data already on it first.

When you install the entire suite, you get this cool 'start menu' like menu that pops up when you press the tray icon. It is like having your own os on your thumb drive. It has a file system and eveything.

Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll expand on this.

It's a website called PortableApps.com - Portable software for USB drives | Your Digital Life, Anywhereâ„¢ . It's the opensource version of the U3 drives, and frankly I think it's a lot better. You can go to portableapps.com and download 3 diffrent versions.

1. There's the full suite that includes Openoffice, Firefox, and some other really cool programs. You'll need it least a 512MB flash drive to use this one.

2. There's the light suite that replaces Openoffice with Abiword and fits on a 256BM flash disk.

3. There is the 'menu' system that is only 1.5 MB. This is the one to chose if you only want a few of the programs that the full suite offers.

You can download more programs at portableapps.com, including VLC, Audacity, and the afformentioned GIMP.

Well worth looking into if your on many diffrent computers but want to keep your most used applications nearby. Just being able to have a portable version of Firefox so you can always take your bookmarks with you is worth it to most people.

The best part is it works on any Flashdirve or even an USB external drive (which is what I have mine on). So, if you have an old flashdrive your not using right now, it's a great way to breath some life back into it.

+ Reply to Thread