+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help on: coloring, lines and shadows

Newbie birgillio is off to a good start
    Thanks

Need help on: coloring, lines and shadows

OK, I have ben looking all around for information on how to do that basic stuff.

This is what I need to know, in general or with some specific program:

- how to color a drawing digitally, just like the banners in this site, so that they look properly done and with the right quality, not coloring outside borders.

- how to "filter" the lines that get drawn. For example, if I draw a circle it looks like it has been done by hand, and I want to apply some kind of effect to it so it looks like a perfect line/curve etc., you know, the borders of the animations that look smoother than the hand could do and yet they look professional.

- how to add shadow effects to different parts of an image to make it look more solid, to know how to create that effect.....

I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Need help on: coloring, lines and shadows

Hmm well, when it comes to digital art, I use adobe photoshop and Paint tool SAI.

With adobe photoshop, practice with the pen tool when you open up a drawing you have made. You can get those sharp nice lines when it comes to the pen tool, or if you want to make the lines look a certain way, as from thin to thick, I'd say try out this tutorial, I love it so much.

lineart with the pen tool by =acaraluv on deviantART

DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

Newbie birgillio is off to a good start
    Thanks

right then, so what should I do for the matter of coloring without going beyond the borders? maybe filling and then using some other tool to reach just at the end of the border?

you can see how bad coloring looks like here:

this is my original sketch. I guess that for shadows you have to add them manually with a "free selection" tool and make the area darker or lighter, but is there some other way?

I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, what I do a lot is create a shape under the outline with pen tool, if you know how to use it. Just outline the black lines with the pen tool to create a shape after you close it. Then you just fill it in with colour and it should get that cell colour, I'm guessing you want to make. You can make your shadows the same way as well. But this all just depends what kind of program you are using. I'm using photoshop, of course.

See what I did here was create a shape with the pen tool, after you close it, of course.

Filling it in with colour

and that's how it should look after you fill it in with colour, then just of course, right click and delete path.
    It all stays all within the lines depending on how experienced you are with the pen tool. I would say, practice on using it.
    Last edited by Pyro Psycho; Feb 13, 2010 at 08:48 PM.

DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

+ Reply to Thread