+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tools to design with

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Tools to design with

Well seeing as we have a lot of artists here on AO, I was thinking about what is your most used tool when working. For example; When you create a signature, which tool do you use the most. It can be from a HB pencil if you draw by hand or the eraser tool within photoshop.

I've been working in photoshop for a whiile and would like to say I've improved a great deal. But recently I've noticed that I tend to really use two tools the most which is the eraser and burn tool. The only reason I use the eraser so much is when rendering an image, as well as erasing parts of a layer that I don't want, which can be a few if anyone wants to see my PSD file of a signature I've made then I would be more than happy to show you.

With the burn tool, I find it really helpful to use on different layers to gradually build the effect I want to make. On some layers with a C4D image, I use the burn tool to show more contrast and bring out the lighter parts rather than just leave them as they are. But I tend to use the burn tool on most layers even if it is on layers that all I've done is burnt the edges etc.

So what tool do you use the most? Please don't forget to explain otherwise it won't count and will get deleted.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Re: Tools to design with

MS paint up in this bitch! *makes phony gangsta hand gestures*

#7k
    Last edited by Hassun; Aug 03, 2008 at 02:08 AM.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    MS paint up in this bitch! *makes phony gangsta hand gestures*
    Hassun.. Language!!! tsk tsk tsk :P

But which tool do you use?? you mentioned the programme... but not the main tool of you use.... So answer!!
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Ah, well that would be MS paint's selection bracket.

Otaku Hantei16 is off to a good start Hantei16's Avatar
    Thanks

I have handled all the usual art tools that i know of from brushes to graphics tablets. I try not to put myself in a box limiting myself to explore other tools and media but i do have favorites. I own a Wacom Intuos3 tablet and it's my tablet of choice in all my digital endeavors, i've tried other brands but nothing else works as good as an Intuos3 (as far as my preferences are concerned). Along with my tablet, i prefer doing stuff in Corel Painters over the Adobe Photoshops, and 3d Max...occasionally.

On the more "traditional" (as others might prefer to call it) side of things, i'm still your pointed stuff kind of guy. I love those pointed stuff like pencils and pens, don't get me wrong i do love and use brushes a lot but i love pencils and pens a bit more. For the pencils, i prefer the graphites of Derwent over any brand, even their softest-graded pencils (5b-9b) are tough enough to withstand 4 foot drops. Doing it with some brands usually leads to a broken pencil. I prefer no brand when it comes to pens, ALMOST anything would do no matter how cheap it is, bad inkworks are usually the fault of the artist and the paper. But yeah, there are bad pens out there....

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I like to use the clone tool alot. The specific program, I suppose would be whatever I get my hands on at this point.

As far as Hand drawing, studio art, and "public" art... The mediums vary.

My most unique tool I've used is my rendition of Organic paint... which is really just me getting down with grass, leaves, dandelions, and flowers... and literally just rubbing them onto whatever "canvass" (aka cardboard) I'm using.

For sketching I preffer mechanical pencils.. anywhere between 0.3 to 0.7. And, pens. Usually multiliner pens, one black pen in each of seven standard sizes: 0.03 mm, 0.05 mm, 0.1 mm, 0.3 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm, and 1.0 mm. For most sketches I will use color pencils to color (If I have 'em).

For "studio" art. I like to first do a sketch. Then color with either acrylic paint. OR paint (or permanant) marker. Sharpie has a pretty cool line of markers. Aside from their permanant markers, they have both oil and water based paint markers of various sizes.

Lastly "public" art. If Im just bombing I will use GIANT paint marker! But if its more of a tagging production... I must say... Nothing like a good ol' can of spray paint. Using both makes for some kick ass graffiti.

My studio art is usually NEVER produced in a studio. And my public art is usually never legal.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Shake the Core. Xelhes may be famous one day Xelhes may be famous one day Xelhes's Avatar
    Thanks

Art tools eh. well when i am in photoshop i dont have a specific tool that i use i really dont use any tools i just make the tags based of what i have in the pictures lately. i used to use brush tool then smudge tool but at this point i just dont use anythign as much its more of whatever i feel like using at that moment in time.
    ..:Open Your Wings Evil Angel:..

Community Dude Asteroids Champion dude101 may be famous one day dude101 may be famous one day dude101's Avatar
    Thanks

Well the main tools i used would have to be smudge, brushes, mask tools. Those are the 3 basic tools that i always use, well most of the time but i tend to use them in different ways. Always try something new with them. But i do try to use other tools to experiment with or to try something different.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast