+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Do you think we could make a gundam?

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Do you think we could make a gundam?

At the current state of our technology i don't think we could make one. I mean, current robots have a hard time walking in two legs. Perhaps, in 200 years making a real Gundam will become a reality, for the meantime lets just wonder how cool would it be to own one of those cool toys

shite, i didn't noticed this thread was hella old. Damn it! i need to wear my glasses when surfing the internets i guess.
    Last edited by ketaro; Apr 22, 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Newbie Naissus is off to a good start Naissus's Avatar
    Thanks

Currently we just dont have anything powerful enough to make something that big move or operate like a Gundam. But I could see something like the mechs in Battlefield come out in the near future.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

the biggest problem facing anyone who would want to build a gundam is finding an alloy that could withstand the shock of a bipedal giant walking. design efficiency can only go so far towards reducing the shock of a footstep from a 30-50 foot tall mech. power is not really a problem (we could use nuclear power if nothing else), but we just don't have a way to absorb the shock damage. underwater gundam variants, totally possible (i think, there may be some other problem i don't know about).

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Newbie Xanosuke2 is off to a good start Xanosuke2's Avatar
    Thanks

I think that it's completely possible in the near future. They have already made an actual working Iron Man suit that works completely off of brain power.

HAL vs. XOS: Who Will Have First Iron Man Suit?: Science Fiction in the News

That's the link to where I found out they have made it. All they would have to do is figure out how to amplify the power and increase the size. Which with the current state of being able to use electric powered cars they could find a power source without any problem. And yeah finding an alloy that could withstand weights anywhere from 10-100tons would be tough...but I doubt it would be impossible to fuse some materials into the structure of let's say titanium, so that it'd give slightly on impact so it wouldn't destroy it completely. But as long as they go on the same concepts as the Iron Man suit, making it into an actual Gundam wouldn't be hard at all.

Erasing my past one bad memory at a time.

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Yeah, I've seen that thing before, while flicking through some mag talking about Iron Man. That would be a cool toy...

Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    first potlabor...then macross...then possibly gundam. it's just a matter of time.
    Add ATAT style machines first, like Ochi Gate said, & you've got a pretty good idea of how I see it going. Mind you, there are other ways I can see it going. With control methods a big issue, they could end up replicating our own body's movements, as in you bend your elbow, it picks it up & copies it. That's how the Landmates in Appleseed work, you put your arms & legs in armoured sleeves, you move & the machine replicates it.

It's easier to see with the arms, but you hopefully get the idea.

If they actually get mind control working, or a easier method than ten thousand buttons, then a Gundam could become a very possible reality...

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Considering the current level of technology in terms of Engines, Battery Capacity, and the fact that we have yet to even build a robot that can mimic the human stride correctly, I doubt that we can build something the size of a Mecha, least not in the next 10 to 20 years, hell, even 50 years.

You have to understand that a machine that size will require tremendous ammounts of power, and on that case alone, we do not have the technology to condense an engine or battery down to the size and weight needed to make a bi-pedal robot.

Newbie Orochimaru is off to a good start Orochimaru's Avatar
    Thanks

Have ya'll heard of the Gundam Academy? I've read from the Gundam wiki that a group of scientist have come together in Japan to design and build a working Gundam type Mech. Im not sure if there is any fact to this but if so than Japan will be the first to have MS Gundam types.
    Do you know the happiness and sence of accomplishment you gain when you have a chance to hurt the one you called "master"?

Otaku Nodes Champion, Flames of Fury Champion shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz may be famous one day shadowrulz's Avatar
    the sign says "in a black hole". Is that even possible?!?!
    Thanks

I believe that a fully operatable mech isn't too far away. Technology is advancing far faster than most people believe. Look at progression, TVs took about 5 years to become popular, and the internet took about 2 years. Before that, Electricity took about 20 to 25 years to really get started. More and more people are researching ways to make things similar to mobile armors and mobile weapons. The government also only allows us to see certain parts of technology we have. We don't have the most up to date equipment at our disposal.

A mech has already been created. In that, it's a gigantic leap. Of course it only scoots along the ground, however, that alone is cause for more people to work on getting on to work perfectly like we want them too.

Beam weapons aren't entirely too abstract anymore. The military has dabbed into developing energy weapons, utilizing electricity and photons as a destructive force. It's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a way to harness that power into a single beam type weapon.

As for the power source problem, that's probably the least of anyone's worries. Energy has an unlimited amount of ways to be created, or obtained rather. We already have plenty of ways to power machines in everyday life. So by the time everything else is ready for use, the power supply will most likely also be ready.

All in all, I for see somewhere between 15-23 years before everything is compiled together.

A big thanks to Renn for the sig! THANK YOU!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast