+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hey Gundam fans. Where to start?

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Gundam fans. Where to start?

So I have never seen a single episode of Gundam and would like to check it out. Problem is I have no idea where to begin. What series/movies are "must sees" and what ones can be skipped?

Do they connect to each other or are they kinda like Final Fantasy where they are really only linked by ideas?

I am probably more interested in the ones that focus more on people/relationships then the ones that are just pure action, if there are any like that.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Who needs a signature.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hey Gundam fans. Where to start?

Most of the ones that have come out recently (Wing, Seed, G-Gundam, 00 ect.) are basically stand alone, and anything based off of Universal Century links to anything else in that, but only loosely.

Pick a series and watch it I say, but if you pick up Seed, watch Seed Destiny second.

Newbie MikePNL is off to a good start
    Thanks

I started to watch Gundam series at Wing and i tell you the idea is all the same with every serie but they are all different stories.

If you want to watch G Gundam that's a total other serie and different way of knowing the gundams.

I think you should start with Wing or Seed.

Otaku Halo is off to a good start Halo's Avatar
    somewhere in the darkness with the most beautiful vampiress in the world
    Thanks

Cool Re: Hey Gundam fans. Where to start?

well for me to start is gundam wing, instant action a some humor also the gundams are SOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOL!!!! i'm like watching the series on yahoo vidoes and almost to the final showdown called gundam wing endless waltz and it's going to be AWSOME!!!

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

I personally hate the new series(What? I do. Why? I hate full CG and fanservice in mecha. Get over it.)

So I'd personally recommend the original Mobile Suit Gundam, I grew up on it, just try it out. It's pretty entertaining and a good starter series.

If you like prettier animation, try Wing. Even though the pilots look like a boy band, they have their moments.

If you want something really action packed and entertaining, try 0083(my personal favorite). And for something more easy going, try Gundam G. Gundam G has a relatively simple plot and it's fun to watch. The animation gets better throughout the series, and it's cool to see all the different Gundams.

And if you must, you can get into the new series. The stories aren't bad, I just don't like em.

Newbie Skizzit is off to a good start Skizzit's Avatar
    Thanks

So I guess Mobile Suit, Wing, Seed and G Gundam are the 4 main story lines if you will? G Gundam sounds like typical shōnen fluff so think I will pass on that for now. Mobile Suit and Wing both sound like solid Millitary Sci Fi, but Seed sounds like it has a bit more of a human element and some romance tossed in as well. So I think that is what I will start with.

Thanks for the advice!
    Who needs a signature.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now you have to be careful, as opinions of Gundam Anime fans, vs. non-Gundam Anime fans do differ... As an example, 'Gundam Seed' is the only Anime TV series to take the Anime of the Year at the Tokyo Anime Awards at the Tokyo International Anime Fair, but many hard-core Gundam fans hold this series in disdain as a mere retelling clone of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series of 1979, (which was ended prematurely during its first run TV broadcast, due to poor ratings, but earned it's reputation during TV reruns...)
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Now you have to be careful, as opinions of Gundam Anime fans, vs. non-Gundam Anime fans do differ... As an example, 'Gundam Seed' is the only Anime TV series to take the Anime of the Year at the Tokyo Anime Awards at the Tokyo International Anime Fair, but many hard-core Gundam fans hold this series in disdain as a mere retelling clone of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series of 1979, (which was ended prematurely during its first run TV broadcast, due to poor ratings, but earned it's reputation during TV reruns...)
    i honesty say, the reason why seed won is because it basically copied the story of the original gundam from head to toe and not to mention, the hype. i'm not a hardcore gundam fan, but i am a fan and i have seen them both. and when i watch seed for the first time, i already knew what happened. honesty, it's like i've just watch the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Utena Tenjo View Post
    I personally hate the new series(What? I do. Why? I hate full CG and fanservice in mecha. Get over it.)

So I'd personally recommend the original Mobile Suit Gundam, I grew up on it, just try it out. It's pretty entertaining and a good starter series.

If you like prettier animation, try Wing. Even though the pilots look like a boy band, they have their moments.

If you want something really action packed and entertaining, try 0083(my personal favorite). And for something more easy going, try Gundam G. Gundam G has a relatively simple plot and it's fun to watch. The animation gets better throughout the series, and it's cool to see all the different Gundams.

And if you must, you can get into the new series. The stories aren't bad, I just don't like em.
    by the way, have seen some other uc gundams? like 0080 war in the pocket? just asking.

anyway, it depends on which gundam you will choose. as for me, i'm sticking to the old uc gundam. not just because they're the originals, but it's also an on going series, from anime, manga, and novels.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast