Closed Thread

Thread: APC-The Tournament

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

APC-The Tournament

This is meant to be an e-mail based RPG, similar to what is usually set up by fans of anime mecha series that want to do something cheap. In this game I propose, two players join together to make their own player characters, and serve as a two-man crew on their own APC (armored personnel carrier). The game is "capture the flag", with a twist-you're playing capture the flag in APCs.For the sake of simplicity and individuality, I have designed the standard issue APC for the game (all the way down to the gear ratios, brake lines, etc), rather than trying to deal with all the different APC makes throughout the world and quantifying their performance into some RPG scale.

This, however, will not be a complex game to play. Imagine playing something that will get no more complex than Dungeons and Dragons, if that. The detail is meant more for realism than anything else.

While a standard issue APC is purchased by everyone, there are several weapon options available (two pods that fire four laser-guided rockets each, twin .50 caliber machine guns, a solely reconnaissance and communications relay unit, and one which carries 4 150mm mortars). Also, I'm developing a design for a single-seater "mini-APC" for those who want to be really crazy (you won't be able to shoot and drive at the same time, but you'll be able to drive around faster than anyone else).

You can also choose paint schemes, from some basic camo patterns (those concerned with using a specific camo pattern, but playing in various battlefields, don't worry, camo nets can be purchased in this game for a wide variety of terrain VERY cheap compared to weapon systems), to-I'll even allow-hot pink, or whatever color you choose, as long as you can give me the HTML code for it (#000000 to #FFFFFF). Since identification is important, when you join, please include a small JPEG image (50x50 pixels) of your team's coat of arms/banner, etc.

Rather than being restricted to just what is equipped on your specific APC variant, other weapons that can be attached to hardpoints or used by player characters, tossed manually about the battlefield. The APCs use tires, so be prepared, you get to use spike strips in the game! Other weapons could include anti-tank mines, point-blank range EMP weapons to short out the weapons control system of an adversary, etc.

Game play will be the same as any e-mail based RPG, where I as the DM use dice or random number generators to determine if hits to other APCs are effective at crippling your adversaries or not. Note, however, the game will not involve killing the gunner and driver! I can't stress this enough. The most damage that will be allowed is for the APC to be damaged beyond repair. This is to avoid losing players and their player characters, which could cause a lack of game play. The idea instead is for the defeated player-characters to sell their scrapped APC for salvage value, acquire a new APC fairly quickly (salvage value of a fully equipped APC will be expensive enough to afford a stripped-down APC-as in no variant model selected), and get back in the game. This will encourage more people to stick around, and for players with far more experience to help newbies, maybe forming alliances and small assault teams with them.

The other option for players who have been defeated is to play as sniper teams with anti-material rifles, going around on foot. The motivation for this, of course, will be a bounty placed on each APC team in the game, based on that team's rank (the team with the most kills or flags captured, of course, will be worth the most). And of course, there will be those few nutcases, which will try to capture the flag on foot against all the APC teams playing. This, I WILL ALLOW, if only to keep things amusing.

Here's the kicker, though. Since I have Google Earth, anywhere I can get high-resolution satellite photos on this Earth can be our RPG battlefield! So, if you dislike your neighbors, and you send me the latitude and longitude, we can play in a 10 square block region of your neighborhood. Actually, for fun, there are tons of industrial and commercial districts in small towns surrounded by mountainous terrain that would be perfect for this game. Concerning this matter, though, for moral reasons, I will not accept staging a game in Baghdad or any region of Iraq. That just doesn't go over well.

Also, the game is meant to be highly customizable by the players. Players can contribute weapon designs, APC designs (having more than two designs would be nice, as long as they follow certain guidelines I'll discuss when someone wants to contribute), again, battlefields of your choosing, or even form your own groups of multiple APCs, and choose a squad commander to relay what your team does to me (as the DM).

Those of you who are interested, please contact me via PM or e-mail ([email protected]).

Otaku Toecutter may be famous one day Toecutter may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: APC-The Tournament

The game is now up and running. I'm looking for participants. Those who wish to play, there are downloadable Excel spreadsheet and PDF file templates for everything you need.

Here is the link.

RPG Lord and Master/Poet Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life may be famous one day Soldat of life's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: APC-The Tournament

This is a very interesting concept, but one that is quite demanding for those who wish to join. Yes it may seem simple for those used to RPing, but people on this forum are often here to have a chat. Yes there are quite a few interesting in posting a few paragraphs here and there and that's why this section isn't dead yet (and hopefully it'll grow!!!!), but I think you'll need to be ready to explain things and encourage your players to get involved in this if you want to get some people interested. I for one would be interested, but I don't have the time...even my own created RPG is somewhat active, but lacking a bit my presence.

Since your concept is in its final stages and seems very promising, I'll let it up, you can even create this very same thread in the OOC section to have a place to answer questions to those who would be interested to joining as this section is only to show your idea to others and see if others are interested to begin with in your story.

Write the same title + recruitment + you can always make a FAQ of things you think people would want to know to be ready to answer any kind of questions people may have. You could also give an examply of an APC for them to base theirs upon if they are completely at loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldat of life View Post
    My favorite philosopher:
    Hassun

Thanks to Xelhes for this amazing work of art ^.^
    Poetry Corner CLICK HERE IF YOU KNOW ME

Closed Thread