+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Avatar technically not anime!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Avatar technically not anime!

Then I pose this question:

What is Chinese animation? French Animation? Korean animation?

If it not "anime" because it's not Japanese, does that mean they're not "cartoons" because they're not American?

75% of Japanese animation is now animated primarily in Korea? Is that not anime? Is "Tenjou Tenge" anime in spite of being funded and written almost entirely by GENEON's USA branch with intent to export? Is the 2nd Vampire Hunter D film anime in spite of having been written for a US release and recorded in English? "The Last Unicorn" had a Japanese co-producer, animation studio, background artist and production designer... more than half the people in the credits have Japanese names (the movie even got a spread in Animage magazine), but it was never released in Japan ~ is it anime?

Is C.J. Michalski NOT a manga artist because she is not of 100% Japanese anscestry, in spite of having lived and worked in Japan all of her life and being one of the most popular mangaka working in her field?

We've created a distinction that didn't have to be made in order to market a genre that didn't really exist more aggressively under a more "exotic" name... but in effect, have created a situation where we've brought ethnicity and nationality into a place where it has no business.

The REASONS to exclude anime from "animation" or hold it up as this exaulted seperate entity degrade daily as globalization, international cooperation and outsourcing make animation projects more international affairs in general.

I think it's a retarded argument, either way. And I'm still convinced that the only people eager to make a distinction between what is and is not anime are the same people harboring the belief that "Japanese" somehow equals "superior" and that the word "cartoon" is an insult.
    Last edited by tsurara; Sep 26, 2007 at 10:34 PM.

syd
    Otaku syd is off to a good start
    Thanks

tsurara you got a good point there.

So according with most people here series like Robotech, Taiyō no Ko Esuteban (The Mysterious Cities of Gold), Ulysses 31, Witchblade, Demashita! Powerpuff Girls Z, Ōban Star-Racers, and many others wouldn't be call anime.

These series are either co-produce with frech and american companies or have been based on american material.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The point is that we shouldn't be arguing about what to call it ~_~; We should just enjoy it...

I recognize that the usage of the word "anime" is different depending on your location: but language isn't static. It changes. And the current American definition of "anime" is both too fuzzily defined to be conclusive about what is and isn't anime and too narrow to fit the actual landscape of modern animation. People apply it mainly as an exclusionary term: and most of them are incurable Japanophiles who think that in something that originates in Japan, it's somehow superior to something that doesn't.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

The definition for Anime that I personally use is "Animation written and targeted for a Japanese Audience", as there are aspects of Anime that are traditional/cultural that makes this style unique among the world. This will cover all the Anime features with in-between work done in Korea, China, and India, and would cover outside of Japan works, (such as the recent 'Highlander' Anime feature, which was made in Hong Kong, but produced by a Japanese director), though even this definition would have trouble with features such as 'Afro Samurai' which written, directed, and animated by Studio GONZO, but ordered and paid for by a US cable company
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

I admit the borders are fading rapidly these days but I adhere to the "Animation written and targeted for a Japanese Audience" line mostly.
    And no I do not think the Japanese are superior in any way.

Newbie brandonheat is off to a good start brandonheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Either way I like Avatar, it's done in the "anime style" so to speak, irregardless if it's originating in Japan or not.

As far as sour cream in tacos, being "hispanic" and from Texas, I must tell you it is just how it's done lol and it's good too! Add some gaucamole in it and you are golden

Otaku Sasuke Is Emo may be famous one day Sasuke Is Emo's Avatar
    Thanks

... wow tsurara that was quite a mouthfull... good points good points...
    Love only if you are willing to hate.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke Is Emo View Post
    ... wow tsurara that was quite a mouthfull... good points good points...
    And you're not feeling like adding anything yourself?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast