+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Semi-serious Romances like Zero no Tsukaima

Newbie Garothe is off to a good start
    Thanks

Semi-serious Romances like Zero no Tsukaima

I'm looking for some of the more serious romance shows that have episodes where things aren't just all slapstick. Also prefer a fantasy / scifi setting but am happy for any new good shows.
    A few examples of this are

Zero no Tsukaima
    El-Hazard
    Chobits
    Van Dread
    things of this nature

Also looking for straight romance shows as well comedy or otherwise that are good.

Clannad
    Love Hina
    Fruits Basket
    etc.

Also if anyone knows where i can watch the original El-Hazard online i would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Semi-serious Romances like Zero no Tsukaima

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Series that come to mind for 'romantic comedies' would be
    • 'Ah My Goddess': A college geek finds a girlfriend so perfect, she is literally 'divine'...
    • 'Hayate the Combat Butler': Poor teenage boy finds himself becoming the personal servant of a very rich young girl
    • 'Ouran Highshool Host Club': Poor Girl attending a elite high school finds herself blackmailed into joining the host club, who's membership is composed of the elite of the elite...
    • 'KenIchi the Mighties Disciple': High School wimp find himself dragged into a dojo composed of extreme elite martial artist masters...

For a more serious series, (And all three are significant award winners)
    • 'Eureka Seven': series starts off when a quiet mysterious blue haired girl (operating a sky-surfing mecha) crashes into the repair shop where a teenage boy works...
    • 'Macross Frontier' (original spelling, 'Macross Flontier'): 25 anniversery series of the Macross franchise, who's hallmarks include love triangles, and flying battling mechas fighting giant aliens to a rock music beat
    • 'The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya': High School boy finds himself sitting next to a girl looking for Aliens, Espers, and Time Travellers....

And if you don't mind a very long series, The Anime series with the definitive example of a high school girl waiting for (and in denial of) a long lost love would be Ran Mouri of 'Detective Conan' where a up and coming charismatic high shool detective is poisoned, and finds himself with the body of a first-grader. To find the organization that did this to him, he ends up in disguise, moving into the household of his high school girl friend, who's father is a Private detective... 15 Years and over 600 episodes and 15 theatrical movie releases, and has always ranked in the top 10 of anime TV series ratings
    Last edited by LenMiyata; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:22 AM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Euraka 7 I saw a couple episodes of and didn't look that impressed with, will have to try watching it from the begining. And I've seen Ah My Goddess, will definatly be checking out Macross(loved Macross 7), and the Melachony.

Also for anyone looking for the same, here are a couple i missed for the semi-serious romance genre, DNAngel and Mahou Tsukai Tai(English: Magic Users Club). But Magic users club isn't all the serious, but still a great series. Thanks for the recommendations, hope to get some more.

Newbie Alchemy Champion RebbieChan is off to a good start RebbieChan's Avatar
    Thanks

Semi-serious or serious?

Escaflowne is amazing just don't watch the movie, only watch the series. The movie was horrid.
    Midori No hibi is kinda slapstick, but it's really good and different
    You should check Haruhi out, it's really good and give Eureka 7 a chance it's incredibly beautiful
    "Is it alright for me to believe in a future that everyone can live in happiness?"

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Before watching 'Macross Frontier' try to get your hands on the short 4 episode prequel OVA series known as 'Macross Zero', as 'Frontier' has a HUGE reference to it at the start of the end story...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Thanks Rebbie will have to check Midori as well. I've seen Escaflowne and loved it. I watched a ton of anime in my highschool days, but haven't watched much in the last 10 years or so and am just starting to get back into it. Between me and my brother we had some 500 VHS anime tapes . So mostly looking for the newer stuff. But thanks this already gives me several new shows to watch as soon as I finish Uninhabited Planet Survive.

+ Reply to Thread