+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insomnia and internet

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Insomnia and internet

Wow, I woke up at 7:45, which isn't early I know.... But I don't have an appointment to go to until 10:00... So, being that I was awake 'till 3ish in the morning. I expected I'd sleep in a bit longer.

However, the phone rang this morning, and it was my children... calling me to tell me that they loved me... and wanted me to pick them up from school later. (Instead of their normal transportation). I gotta admit, there's no better way to wake up.

I have these odd sleep patterns. Internet use makes things worse.

It started with me doing a bit of research for my topic for the theme of POTM. And, without leaking too much info.... I will just say..... I ended up on youtube. First looking at a victim of Kuru. And then, watching a documentary about a New Guinea Tribe. And.. that is pretty much TMI already.

My search then veered into "The man who never slept". Learning about FFI (fatal familial Insomnia). Here I thought I had it bad for not sleeping until 3am... Theres a genetic disorder that prohibits the brain from allowing you to sleep. Theres no cure. And no amount of drugs can sedate of victim FFI. you just die of sleep depervation if you're unfortunate enough to carry the genetic disorder. INSANE!

I went on and on, into related videos. Twins conceived at different times. Or twins that were different skin tones (one black, one white). Eventually I ended up watching about a couple of child murderers. An 11 year old who shot his dads pregnant girlfriend. He went to school and carried on his day as if nothing happened. And an 8 year old who confessed to killing his dad. And the 8 year old sounded so sweet and innocent. Much like my 7 year old son.

It wasn't the best note to lay myself to sleep on. Of course, by now, I was stirring in the craziness of the world we live in. How can there be a child capable of murder? And how can I be sure that I'm avoiding raising such a child? After all, I am a VERY imperfect parent.

Seems quite appropriate now. My fears are soothed. My kids calling me to wake me up, and tell me how much they love me. Still I'm reconsidering toy guns and violent video games.

But realistically I doubt I'll follow through. I was never censored. And I turned out ok right?

Moral of the story: Get sleep.

Im off to cancel a 10 o'clock appointment!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Insomnia and internet

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Wow, I woke up at 7:45, which isn't early I know.... But I don't have an appointment to go to until 10:00... So, being that I was awake 'till 3ish in the morning. I expected I'd sleep in a bit longer.

However, the phone rang this morning, and it was my children... calling me to tell me that they loved me... and wanted me to pick them up from school later. (Instead of their normal transportation). I gotta admit, there's no better way to wake up.

I have these odd sleep patterns. Internet use makes things worse.

It started with me doing a bit of research for my topic for the theme of POTM. And, without leaking too much info.... I will just say..... I ended up on youtube. First looking at a victim of Kuru. And then, watching a documentary about a New Guinea Tribe. And.. that is pretty much TMI already.

My search then veered into "The man who never slept". Learning about FFI (fatal familial Insomnia). Here I thought I had it bad for not sleeping until 3am... Theres a genetic disorder that prohibits the brain from allowing you to sleep. Theres no cure. And no amount of drugs can sedate of victim FFI. you just die of sleep depervation if you're unfortunate enough to carry the genetic disorder. INSANE!

I went on and on, into related videos. Twins conceived at different times. Or twins that were different skin tones (one black, one white). Eventually I ended up watching about a couple of child murderers. An 11 year old who shot his dads pregnant girlfriend. He went to school and carried on his day as if nothing happened. And an 8 year old who confessed to killing his dad. And the 8 year old sounded so sweet and innocent. Much like my 7 year old son.

It wasn't the best note to lay myself to sleep on. Of course, by now, I was stirring in the craziness of the world we live in. How can there be a child capable of murder? And how can I be sure that I'm avoiding raising such a child? After all, I am a VERY imperfect parent.

Seems quite appropriate now. My fears are soothed. My kids calling me to wake me up, and tell me how much they love me. Still I'm reconsidering toy guns and violent video games.

But realistically I doubt I'll follow through. I was never censored. And I turned out ok right?

Moral of the story: Get sleep.

Im off to cancel a 10 o'clock appointment!
    Dude. I do this to myself ALL the freaking time. I don't find such interesting topics to look at though! But the internet distracts me from sleep on a fairly regular basis (when I have access at night to the net.)

So cute that they called to wake you up and tell you they love you and wanna see you this afternoon. That would have made my day too.

Censors really only exacerbate the problem. I think as long as you make your views and opinions on such things known, and don't make a big deal of it otherwise is the best way to go about it.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Otaku Brandon Grave Heat is off to a good start
    Thanks

Insomnia and internet, the together like Soup and Crackers aleast in my view.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

i think kids end up that way not becuz of the movies or the video games, it really comes back to the parents. . .

It's important to speak to children like another human being, not like a doll or some stupid creature. working at an elementary school, i see that kids may not know how to spell "qualm" or when the Battle of 1812 was, but they know exactly why their parents got divorced and how irresponsible they are with money.

so, at the end of the day, just love your kids! really listen when they're acting all moody, and try to find the reason why! the more your kids can come to you with the problems, the less likely they are to bring a gun into the situation. . .

but that's just my opinion, and i have no kids. but i was a kid once and work with kids now, so hopefully that means something~

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Censorship CAN work if used correctly and the situation fits it finely.
    But that doesn't mean it's the best thing.
    It's much like how threats CAN solve problems, but you honestly shouldn't be trying to go down that road every chance you get.

Honestly, any form of introduction, restriction, and destruction can work to raise a "proper" child - but it always depends how one executes it, the other influences around them, and just timing and situations.
    In that form, there isn't really a "wrong" way to raise a child, just wrong execution, socialization, and environment. ...buuuuut that always makes me sound like an A-hole when I say those type of things, so don't listen to that.

Censorship is good in the form that it gives the child more time to learn the basics and to have a better chance at getting those basics right, instead of being allowed to try everything around them and fail at several of them.

Though trail and error is perhaps THE best teacher out there, it's a very VAGUE teacher. Much like those middle-school teachers that give all this information to children but never tell them WHY it's important.
    ...often times, children don't learn correctly from their failures. Many of them will see "loopholes" and "lying" as the best solution in many failures, and many of them share this information with other children - which creates a network that becomes the starting culture for that generation of children - of course, they wouldn't have come up with their conclusions if it weren't for our own mistakes and misteachings. In that form: "the sins of the parents fall on the children".

And heck, certain forms of censorship keep children grounded. And though I'm not discouraging the creative growth of children, I do have distaste of children who seem to not know their "true place" in this world in the arrogant form.
    ...many children don't see that they're just as screwed as everyone else, and that every choice they make can change the future, but more importantly: Most children don't get the idea that OTHER CHILDREN/PEOPLE and EVERYTHING ELSE affects their lives just as they affect them. AKA: A lotta' kids need to learn to respect people, nature, history, and even business... but without restrictions for most of their early life, they tended to see the world as their playground and find everyone else as "intruders" if they're not playing with them.
    Certain touches of censorship can go a long way, but it isn't meant to keep them locked up - it's SUPPOSED TO be used to slow down a child's movements and ideas so that they get a better idea to how everything reacts to one another within an "isolated environment" before risking it all out in the open. Once the basics are done, a "bar" is removed from the "prison" and the child sees more and more and learns more and more without having the high percentage of a sudden culture-shock (the nice ones aren't the problems, it's the negative ones that can be problematic). And eventually, the child is left with no more "bars" and now out in the open - and with the plus of: better knowledge, perception, respect, and understanding.

...however, that also means that form of censorship has to be heavily monitored and involving.

................. blahblahblahblahblah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah? Blah blah blah! Blahahahahahahaha! Blah!

Although, no censorship can still lead to amazing results in children. However, it needs A LOT of involvement of the parents in order for it to not have that heavy chance of backfire.
    Blah blah blah blah blah I talk too much.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

................. blahblahblahblahblah. Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah blah? Blah blah blah! Blahahahahahahaha! Blah!
    Dude I've been playing that Rabbids game all day and that's exactly how they talk.

And I know I wouldn't be able to stick to my guns when it comes to censoring. Thats why I failed the idea before it even left the ground.
    ... Not Ever Again...

+ Reply to Thread