+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Odd movies? Again?

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Odd movies? Again?

OMG....

I swear I have attempted to post this in my journal a gazillion times. Or in neodeath's journal (sorry Neo). (I tried to take tips from Rave and Sosh and give you kiddies something to do.)

Okay. This time its going to be a shorter post. What are the movies in your collection that are different and stand out? And I am talking movies that are so bad they're good. OR movies that really blow your mind. Or movies that are really visually profound. Movies with the off the wall storylines... ect. And I mean really try to push the limits and be original here. Feel free to find You Tube, or website blurbs to give us all a better feel of your flick.

Here's mine.
    Horror:
    "Masters of Horror: Jenifer": YouTube - Masters of Horror - Jenifer - trailer

Fantasy:
    "Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare": IMDb Video: Yokai Monsters: Spook Warfare [Y�kai daisens�]
    "Fantastic Planet": YouTube - FANTASTIC PLANET (MoC Trailer) René Laloux
    "The Dark Crystal": YouTube - The Dark Crystal (1982) movie trailer

As you can se I like Fantasy. Too bad I don't own The Labyrinth.
    Misc.:
    "The Wiz": (lmao) YouTube - the wiz
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Odd movies? Again?

Porkies 1, 2 and 3. They're classic raunch-fests. What makes them odd is that they're the only R rated movies my parents watch, so I at least get to enjoy them with my parents every now and then.

Not for the little, underage folk.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

...I... have no idea what's in my movie list right now.
    ...if I look into it later and find something, I'll post again.

For now, these may not be odd as they're pretty "current", but they're odd in the fashion of owning it despite situations... (+, it's the only ones I can think of right now)
    Final Fantasy Spirits Within
    Hook
    &
    Grave of the Fireflies
    (I'll add links later)

...yeah, pretty average, eh? But here's the odd part:

Many people disliked or thought "meh" about FFSW... In all honesty, if you ignored the "Final Fantasy" title, it was a pretty okay movie! In fact, it was kinda' enjoyable. I liked it. Don't know what people are fussing about. (Well I do, but you gotta' ignore the fans and crank up the AC )

Now, Hook is a classic for me. The reason why it's odd, is that NO ONE HAS IT IN THEIR MOVIE LIBRARY! O_o Isn't that odd? ...so they have Mrs. Doubtfire and The Mask, but no Hook? I find that VERY Odd.

Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece in my opinion, but many people around my area either disliked it, didn't "get it" (not sure what they couldn't get), or hated the living lights out of it.
    ... I liked it. In fact, I may have even loved it. ...but it's still impossible for me to make anyone watch it.
    Last edited by Soshi Kitai; Feb 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

these may not be odd as they're pretty "current",
    The great thing about using word's like "Odd"... Is that it is based on your opinion.
    I want to know what other people think is odd.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Newbie zefielyn is off to a good start
    Thanks

I think the oddest movie in my collection would have to be Cyrano de Bergerac, especailly since it's in French and I don't speak a word of it. I just enjoy how love is portrayed in this movie, so broken.
    "So take a piece, but not too much."

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

*rummages through dvds*
    Let me see here...
    12 swords, What Dreams May Come, Mongol, Zatoichi, Dragon's World, and Thank You For Smoking.

I know I have more, but that's all for now.
    12 Swords, because... well, this is the Chinese version, Cantonese. I often see people owning the Japanese version or even the old Chinese version. Maybe even some neo-interpretations within the American, Japanese, and Chinese versions.
    ...however, I rarely see anyone owning this (kinda' new) version.
    ...and a kinda' odd version in my opinion. But still awesome.

What Dreams May Come... owning it is odd that since I'm a Christian, I'm not supposed to own it. Most Christians find this movie not only offensive, but very misleading. ...I, on the other hand, due to many reasons, find it much more accurate than most religious-esque movies.

Mongol. A movie I wanted to see, but never had the time to go to that out-of-the-way theater. So I bought it. Nothing like I thought it'd be, but it's still a good'in. Abu seems to like it a lot, so it's a good purchase! Odd since, it's nothing what people thought it'd be.

Zatoichi (the new version)... why? Cuz most Zatoichi fans didn't like this version. I rather liked it. Nothing like the classic, but still coo.

Dragon's World... cuz I was on a shopping spree in the old Discovery store. ...wow, this thing was so badly made, but I found some of the ideas rather amusing, so I don't regret the purchase. ...odd cuz it's so bad (in my opinion).

Thank You For Smoking... why? Supposedly it's a really good movie and loved by many, but why does no one own it? O_o ... WHY does no one own it?

Thanks

What Dreams May Come.... That's a cool movie.

I am SO out of the loop. I never thought about this movie as a conflict of Christianity.
    I adored it simply because of its imagery. It's been so long since I've seen it though. I'm going to have to watch it again putting Christianity more toward the front of my scope.

Can I ask you a personal question? What does it mean to YOU to be a Christian?

The reason I ask is because I no longer considered myself a Christian despite being highly spiritual and in tuned with my higher power. Although I still attend Christian church form time to time. I have always felt like, my free thinking wasn't..... welcomed.

So I wondered if you had some air tight qualification. Or if in your mind, what defined a "Christian" was more open.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    Can I ask you a personal question? What does it mean to YOU to be a Christian?
    Christianity in all definitions is to believe there's a Christ and He sacrificed Himself for all our sins.
    Now what defines "He" and "sins" is where everyone splits themselves apart.
    I do believe there was a Christ, and I do believe He sacrificed Himself for our wrongdoings, but I also believe we misunderstood everything.

Free thinking never really is welcomed in Christianity. I find that rather odd, since that's what made Christianity different from Catholicism.
    Catholicism had so many rules and took so many things literally... sure they lightened up on some of their rules, but the fact is, Catholicism has completely blind faith. -taking no new ideas to mind. ...it's only when the Catholic Church is under direct attack that they reconsider their rules and ways.
    I mean I understand that faith should be without question, but I'm human and know history - The Bible has been changed over the years in order to better fit the powers that be. Many Catholics and Christians to this day believe that The Holy Bible has never been changed, but the fact is, time changed it so many times.
    ...I can't say that what I am defines what Christians are, since I know most Christians dislike me. In their words, I'm more of a spiritualist, since I can believe in things that Christians despise... things like reincarnation, "everything is God", other gods, "other powers aren't from Satan", and etc.

...in all honesty, my beliefs are true to the core-beliefs of God - but Christians don't want to listen to anything their preachers never preached. Christians act as if Christianity is the truest of true, yet the churches are so separate because of what a few preachers have said. All of them believing in the tiniest things to define Christianity. The Church is for God, but the people don't listen for God... they listen to the preacher and believe his/her imagery is what God truly is.

In all honesty, I believe most people believe in a false god. We constantly talk about how we can't imagine or even say who/what God is, since God is beyond all that. Yet in the same way, we claim we know what His love is, what He wants from us... and if you listen closely to what they claim, you realize that "God's ideals" are Men's ideals. Why is it that we humans are the only creatures that count on this Earth? Why is it that we must follow traditions made even before that of Christianity? Why is it that humans are given so much power or restricted so much through religious rite?
    ... so many atheists claim that Christianity is false. But in all honesty, it's more hypocritical.
    ... so many atheists claim that Christianity is brainwashing, and I agree.

I've been to so many churches and groups, and they all block out so many things from other beliefs and the real world - the ones who are learning from these areas have no idea why everyone thinks they're crazy.

If religions just listened to each other... If spiritualists would stop being so self-centered... they'd all realize there's something wrong with their specific beliefs.

What I believe in is GOD.
    Not some singular being who gave us humans rules to get into Heaven. But "an entity" (best way I could describe something that can't be defined) that gave us humans rules because we were a lost cause when left by ourselves.
    I do believe The Bible still has some truth in it, just in the same way that I believe that everything has some truth to it. And with the truth in the Bible, it's easy to see that we humans aren't as restricted as we believed ourselves to be.
    ...we were just given those rules because we were... well... unruly brats (just as we are today).
    Those rules kept us from wiping each other out with our own stupidity (though even that was short-lived).
    And by looking at other religions, we can see that things follow a pattern.
    Every creature needs one another, and some seem to exist as to humble the rest of us. Yet if we all worked together, we'd all understand why we're all here.

I can't fully express what I believe in, since there's so much things I can't explain in words.
    But in as simple as I can say it:
    • We're all connected.
    • God doesn't watch us. God isn't us specifically. God is. God is.
    • God doesn't watch and rule us. We do.
    • God is everything, singular, and nothing at the same time.
    • We humans aren't restricted, but for some reason there's a "right and wrong" that expresses itself through consequences.
    • There are other powers out there, but they are not God specifically.
    • God is mistaken for what we humans want.
    • We are here because Life is here. And where there is Life, there is... "something" I can't explain.
    • There's a consistency in this universe, and we can't break it through normal means.
    • There's much more to a body than flesh and bones - yet that's all that's left when we die.
    • We cannot "sense" everything, but we can be aware of it.
    • We cannot explain God, because God created every rule (and henceforth outside of it), including explanation.
    • And etc.

Though I suppose at this point, the usual person asks "Why do you believe that?".
    And the most I can really say is "Because I watched and listened." ... O_o

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast