+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taxpayers' Money

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Taxpayers' Money

Do you look down at someone because they live off of the government?

Well, Im one of those someones. One of those people who happily takes handouts. And its not even a handout really... because [you] paying taxes isn't an option. Yet, I sponge off of that which gets paid... because that IS an option for me.

Perhaps not everyone goes the route I go, because its against some moral code. Some core value. Some work ethic. blah blah blah.

I don't judge people who spend their lives busting their asses for less than what they are worth. If that's the choice you want to make... make it.

And maybe you're working, doing exactly what you think you should be doing. Getting exactly what you feel is sufficient in return... Once again, congratulations. But most people don't just land in that position. And believe it or not... that is a goal I too am working toward. Just taking alternative (and more comfortable) measures.

I sponge, I hoard, I scrounge, and sometimes even squander. But, I live fairly well. I educate myself... Intend on opening doors to learn even more from others if the universe permits. And when I do "work" it will be serving the purpose I feel I was meant to serve... No less. That is MY choice.
    Hitchhiker: I may live badly, but at least I don't have to *work* to do it.
    Today, I borrowed a friend some money... Gave her a ride to work, because she would have otherwise needed to take public transportation. How ironic. But I don't know that I should feel guilty for that. I take the easy routs. I get as much as I can with the least amount of effort. It has become a skill for me. I intend to use it to my advantage. So far so good. Someone has to be on this end of things. Maybe my moral pallet is gray.

Hitchhiker: Every single commodity you produce is a piece of your own death!
    -Quotes from the film "Slacker" (1991)

This isn't just a random rant. And I know its not my first time spewing my defenses on this issue. For some reason... this topic has come up in a couple conversations for me today. Its odd. So I figured an un-aimed rebuttal was appropriate.

After all, someones gotta stick up for us welfare momma's, Social Security Recipients... ect.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tax Payers Money

I think those who judge others need to look to their own lives first before criticizing the lives of others.

Honestly, I think it's poetic justice. Why not use the govenment like they use us?
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Tax Payers Money

Quote Originally Posted by TaurusDemon23 View Post
    I think those who judge others need to look to their own lives first before criticizing the lives of others.

Honestly, I think it's poetic justice. Why not use the govenment like they use us?
    To say "I'm better than that."

... but not all need to be good and righteous.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Taxpayers' Money

Better than what exactly?... I don't think I am ungood or unrighteous. If it wasn't me... it'd be someone else.
    I obviously meet some sort of requirement... I'm not stealing it.

I still consider myself goal oriented. Which is why I find no shame in easy routes.

There is someone out there... a lot like me. They probably have mental health issues, only theirs go untreated, maybe even undiagnosed. They have children too. And they are working hard, spending tons of time AWAY from their kids. Depleting the existing mental health they have. And getting very little to show for it. Like the cashier at Walgreens, a single mother of four. I was making small talk with her as I made a purchase with my foodstamps. I'm sure she isn't paid nearly enough. Perhaps it could be looked at as me taking from her, her children. But again... I made a choice. Id rather take... then be taken from.

I have made my mental health and parenting a main focus. The state funding has allowed me to do so. My youngest is still not school aged. So now I have tons of mental health help (for depression and ADD), and time with my kids. Even with mental health help, Im in no stretch the perfect parent. But I am AWARE of my issues and better equipped to change them.

Next year, provided I get the scholarship for my son to attend full day Kindergarten. Its off to full time college for me. With a degree, at least I can be underpaid to work at a career I find fulfilling.

BTW, all of my mental health endeavors have allowed me to know my brain quite well. Various psych evaluations... neuro-psych evals. I'm getting the knowledge of myself, and help, that I WISH my over worked, exhausted, and sometimes neglectful (and abusive) parents would have gotten. But they were to busy trying to be "good and righteous". I have a "high average" IQ apparently. And, while its nothing to brag about. I'm not stupid. It could be said that I'm playing the hand I was dealt pretty well.

OOOOOOH I ranted some more... Oh well... its my journal.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Mar 01, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

The options are out there for everyone, options that are designed to help those that are down and out.

Government programs have really helped my family get through tough times, especially brother. He has a learning disability that has affected every aspect of his life, and it's been the government's help that has gotten him as far as he has come.

so if you need the help, take it. that's what it's there for. but please, please, please use it for something good!

like you Peach~

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not like I was attackin' or anything. I was saying that to the statement:
    "Why not use the government like they use us?"

As that statement could easily be abused by people... or seen as the only/first alternative. An eye for an eye works in many cases, but it doesn't help the situation get better unless it really is ridding one side from the equation.
    ...so if someone were to use the government really like they used us, the government would complain, but not care enough to do more than what they do now - hence, it's doing nothing more than letting the cycle continue and not make a difference.

But when someone refuses to act in such a fashion (not bullying the bully), then they're better off, in at least a "spiritual" sense.

Speaking of phrases:
    "If it wasn't me... it'd be someone else." is also a risky phrase. As most times people follow it through their own definition and abuse it as well... a phrase that I honestly feel shouldn't be passed down anymore.

--
    "I obviously meet some sort of requirement... I'm not stealing it."
    You do, and you aren't. But the laws created by our government are so ridiculous that a killer can get away with something merely because he/she didn't have enough evidence to be jailed, and an innocent can be jailed for coincidental evidences placed on him/her.
    Not saying what you're doing is wrong, but to say "Well, what I'm doing isn't illegal." isn't the strongest argument for a moral-argument -- as our laws have less to do with morality, and much more to do with safe-patterns and tax-paying opinions.

Thanks

I can see your point Sosh. But I don't think a whole lot of immorality would lie in what it takes for people to receive help. Like here in Minnesota, they don't make it super easy... and requirements are pretty clear cut. Either one has kids, and little to no income. Or they have poor mental health that has prevented them from functioning well (including work). And have documented proof. Here in Minnesota, you don't receive MORE cash for having more kids either.

Where the abuse and immorality would come in, is what is done with the funding. Not everyone meets their, or their childrens needs with the money. So, yes Abu... I will do good things.

*Edit..

Just as I was posting this, I remembered a friend of mine... who is cheating the system. She was receiving money for her and her son. Then she got involved with a man, and had another baby. Now that man is receiving assistance for he and the baby, And they are lying and saying they live in separate households. Basically getting double of what they should.

So I guess it does happen.
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Mar 02, 2010 at 06:50 AM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh, i'm not into the idea of "doing the right thing". Usually, when someone does the "right thing", it costs them more than if they did "right" by themselves. Morality is overrated in my line of thinking anyways. All it is is mental enslavement. Right and wrong is all relative. My right could be your wrong and vice versa.

"Bullying the bully" is fine with me though, especially when one is merely trying to get by in the world. Especially when "the bully" feels that it's right to hook up the dirty jew bankers with fat amounts of cash while giving those that truly deserve relief the cold shoulder.
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

+ Reply to Thread