+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Wii Rant

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Another Wii Rant

It's that time of year again. The time of year where SK sits on his fancy pedestal and ponders about the video game industry and what he likes, doesn't like, and shoves it down your throat whether you like it or not...

You see, it's been a full year since I've been excited over the Wii... mainly because I wanted to give the other consoles a chance.
    And a fair chance I did give them, I bought more games on them combined to beat my Wii collection.
    ...I've played more hours on them than any single Wii game other than the "legendary" DBZBT3.

I've switched between my 360, PC, and PS3 back and forth - rarely even touching my Nintendo Wii this year.

I've given so much to these systems that I even bought a 2nd PS3... just for my girlfriend to play with me online!

I've put up with online-only games for so long that I even forgot the existence of split-screen games...
    I would desperately try to fill that split-screen void by trying to purchase random Wii multiplayer games, only to realize they only pleased one of us / were missing subtle things in them to make them perfect. ... I would then move back to the PS3, 360, or PC just to keep my brain occupied.

During this time, Abu's DS broke... making me have even LESS interaction with Nintendo-products.

At this point, I've been cut off from the casual gamers and fully immersed with the jerks, asses, and snobs of the "ultra gamer" category.
    I never became one of them, but I sure looked like one of them... my love of casual games hides my rather plausible skills in other games, often surprising "hardcore gamers" and "ultra gamers" that a happy player can actually beat their ass.

I spent so long on these "hardcore islands", I almost forgot what it was like to have full-on fun. The excitement I always had when I purchased a new Wii game, the endless fun in the simple WiiWare games, and the silly competitions with the DS games.

... but as E3 knocked on every gamer's door, I was forced to watch it... just like everyone else.

Though Nintendo wasn't embarrassing like they were last year for many, many still were disappointed this year.
    But... for some reason, I wasn't disappointed.

360 showed off their new "Project Natal", and PS3 showed their..... er......... motion control.......... that looks......... rather......... ahem.....

People exclaimed "Wii killer" all around.
    Many people believed that these proved that the Wii's a complete joke, and it's time that it fell...

But here's two odd things:
    1) Without the Wii, these creations would never have come into creation so soon. The gaming industry has shown through the years that analog controls are preferred, no matter how good other controls got.
    ...this became the dividing point for many gamers when the Wii was released. Many mocked and laughed at the idea of motion controls. Others embraced it and became excited for the future of gaming. I was part of that latter.
    ...and now this is really odd: Now people are exclaiming that this is the best thing to come to gaming now that they've reached the other systems? ...was it fandom? ...or was it their hatred towards Nintendo for not going HD/powerful like the rest?
    Either way, these people have become hypocrites.

2) As much as I see these new technologies...
    As much as people claim that these make Nintendo technologies look prehistoric....
    As much as people claim that they'll sell their Wii now and support the real gaming consoles...

............. I think it's nothing.

These technologies are great, but they're just as great as the EyeToy.

The EyeToy, as limited as it was, brought a lot of possibilities into the gaming genre. But because no one used it well enough, it never became huge enough to become game-industry-breaking.

It was because Nintendo based everything on their new console around it... forced it to become the main reason the games existed... did everyone try to do something with it.
    The motion controller is nothing new. Motion controlling and touch screens have never been anything new. But Nintendo did something with it. Truly did something with it.

They made it... fun.

Hell, it feels like the only one who could make something that ridiculous possible is SEGA. ...no one cared for voice-controls other than for the ability to talk to each other... but the instant you had the ability to talk to a manfish, it suddenly became cool.

... hell, I keep thinking if SEGA were still around, these console wars would be something totally different... it just kinda' feels like Nintendo's all alone here. Even PS3 and 360 fanboys talk to each other, Nintendo fanboys only have themselves.

Anyways......
    These new technologies are... kinda'..... boring looking........
    I see the ideas they're going with... but... it's still nothing...

And then what? What happens if they succeed in every manner that Nintendo couldn't with their Wii?
    People pretend that when that happens, the Wii dies, and Nintendo with it.

... but Nintendo feels so confident... like they're waiting for that to happen... they said it themselves that the new Nintendo system won't appear until they have a new idea. And if the boys up in Nintendo still seem as confident with those technologies in their competitor's hands, it just seems like they're fairly confident that their new idea's strong enough to at least keep their head above the water.

Anyways...
    Those technologies are cool. But for now, they're just as cool as the EyeToy. Even if big game names start coming from those things, the Wii's lightyears ahead of it in experience of marketing these things.
    And they'd have had enough experience with the Motion+ in order to make the other peripherals still seem like a prototype.

Video games aren't just about who has bigger and better machines... it's about the games... it's about what you do with the games... it's about the fun...

People can claim the greatness of God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII and etc... but it's like claiming the greatness of Unreal Tournament and Timesplitters and Crash Bandicoot and Rayman and Devil May Cry and Dynasty Warriors and Grand Theft Auto and and...
    *sigh* You can shed your tears with joy if you loved those games...
    But do you know what I remember?

Do you know what I think were great games?

Do you know what games I can't forget because of the amazing fun I had in them?

...Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat, GoldenEye 007, WarioWare, Street Fighter II, Super Smash Bros., Tetris vs Dr. Mario, Kirby Super Star, Snowboard Kids, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Killer Instincts, Star Fox 64, Power Stone, Rocket Slime, DBZBT3, and etc...

Do you know why? You can't claim nostalgia since Rocket Slime and DBZBT3 aren't old enough to cause such (and especially not since I actually still play them from time to time).

....... notice the pattern in them? : Multiplayer was THE MAIN REASON you should have played those games.

All those other games I can easily forget... I still remember my favorite RPGs, but only I remember them. My cousin doesn't remember it since she's never played it. I still remember my favorite adventure platformers, but only I remember them. My gf doesn't remember it since she's never played it. And etc.

The best memories I had about video games... is when everyone was in the same room... playing all at once... all that screaming and shouting and laughing... all the "calling turns" and the "time outs"...
    All that was so fun... and it still is.

Don't you gamers get it yet?
    Games are supposed to be fun.
    Games can be cool. Games can be theatrical. But if you doubt the idea of "just for fun" games/consoles, you're doubting what it means to be gamer. Gamers were never about being the best... the gaming industry is turning exactly like the sports industry: Turning things that are supposed to be about fun and socializing -- into a tedious competitive job.
    ...gamers stood for those who favored controlling a screen instead of just watching it. To control the story, and most of all: Having fun while doing it. Now all of a sudden, we're all hiding behind virtual masks and claiming we're kings of these virtual worlds? My God, just accept that you freaks want a .hack world already.

Gamers didn't become gamers just because things were addicting.
    If that were the case, being an alcoholic should be a hobby.

...doing things in these virtual worlds don't change who you are in real life...
    ...if that were the case, then movie plots should be written in our history books.

Gamers have turned into such crap now...
    They think the bigger the better...
    They think the more powerful the more fun...

God... these kids and "adults" need to get a grip...

Gaming has never been about upgrades and graphics! If that's the case, then f***ing get rid of Tetris already!
    I'm glad these creations have come, but they're practically heartless!
    Created only to beat the Wii, and nothing more!

There's no soul behind these beasts! No amazing ideas or inspirations are behind these things! They just expect to beat the Wii, and that's it!
    My God, at least the Wii promised fun when they made them - not like these promises "to get you to sell your Wii".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soshi Kitai For This Useful Post:

Abu Dhabi (Jun 03, 2009), fayt lingod (Jun 09, 2009)

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Another Wii Rant

I understand that Nintendo's turned into a marketing-fiend, but at least they did it the right way: They aimed for the gaming industry to change, to get their ideas out of their asses full of "power, graphics, power, graphics, power, and graphics make games"...
    And they did it. They scared Microsoft and Sony to finally try to bring gaming to the next level... to the REAL next level...
    But they're (sony and micro) doing it wrong!
    It still doesn't look fun!
    It still doesn't have anything!

....... my God, after beating Fallout 3 and inFamous, I felt that stupid empty feeling I always got after beating certain games...
    As if... no matter how many times I try to get back into them: these games have lost half of their charm.

It took me this long to realize that it was because these games weren't...... that...... fun.

........... they were cool. They felt like I was doing something. It was crazy. It was fun? ...no, it was "rad-cool". I had fun because parts looked fun... because parts felt like I was doing something... but... in the end, these games were just........ like some books: Where as good as the story was-- you didn't learn anything, your outlook in life hasn't changed at all...
    ...but no, that's not what you're looking for in a game!
    In games, you're not looking for something to change your outlook in life... you're looking to HAVE FUN. TO DO SOMETHING THAT YOU NEVER WOULD IN REAL LIFE. ... and when certain competitions and limitations enter that, it becomes more fun. ...but no...

...I remember GTA 3... I was a huge fan of GTA 2... during my "little punk" days, I loved games where you caused carnage...
    ...then GTA Vice and San came out... they were both awesome in their own ways, but they just didn't feel as "new" as GTA 3... even GTA 4 didn't feel that "new".
    Was it because GTA 3 was 3D compared to its previous installment? No... it was because GTA 3 created the first real interactive 3D world of which you could do almost anything inside it.

And that was just it! These games... they needed to feel "new"!
    And once that "new" feeling disappeared, these games had little meaning... they weren't fun anymore. They were still fun, but only slightly.

...................... then you have the "new generation" of multiplayer games... things like Halo, and Gears of War, and Call of Duty, and Tekken (yes, I said Tekken), and God of War, and etc...
    These games, they boast graphics and maps, and options, and capabilities, and and......... nothing.

I've played all these games... but do you know what's funny? They're nothing. They bring new ideas and amazing graphics and new forms of fun... but they all fall short......
    It's as if they tried to isolate themselves into something "so seriously gaming" that you can't really see it in any other fashion...
    I can't really explain it... It's like they're a douchebag of a game.
    They're jerks. And not just because of the characters.
    They're filled with so much testosterone-inspiration, it isn't even funny.
    In these games, it's nearly impossible to just have fun without getting pissed at the other players.

...the closest one to escape this personality is Halo... the random shits that happen in that game can make some people forget they're trying to get a highscore and just have fun.

...that's it! There we go!

These games are trying so hard to make gaming serious, getting rid of anything that isn't skill! And because of it, REAL fun flies out the window many times, and people just become angry.

Point is, fun is so distorted now. We think fun is getting the perfect headshot... we think fun is getting all the trophies... we think fun is awesome movies scenes... we think fun is pulling off the ultimate combo... we think fun is being the best.......

........ but I remember... when the family would be together... it felt like it was the most fun when someone lost.
    ...when someone screwed up so bad it was hilarious...
    ...when we didn't take things so seriously...

...why do we believe we all have a different definition of fun if we all can laugh at the same thing?

The Wii has the most games to produce this situation... and yet it's mocked for all its bad games...
    If that were the case, then we all should have laughed at the PS2. But we didn't, did we?
    We were still in awe of the PS2's great games.

No, the reason why we all mock the Wii is because the definition of fun... the definition of gaming... has changed.
    Ever since the "next gen consoles" became more like a computer, games have become more like computer games.

I don't know about you, but when I was young, I was a hardcore console gamer: fighting against PC gamers at which was more fun.
    Though their games had better graphics and more options and more customizing abilities, console games provided the entire house fun.
    PC gamers often stayed by themselves, playing with people from around the world they'd never meet, pretending as if they were someone important, and always complaining about technicalities in their games.
    They were the hermits of their time.

...we console gamers mocked them... they were practically friendless and only had technology and technical skill to brag about... we had ultimate-fun to brag about...

And now? ....... PS3 and 360 turned their fans into PC gamers. More and more do they beg for Online-only games... MMOs... more capabilities... more DLCs... more patches.... they all start complaining about the technical things..........
    ... back then, we just complained if something was tedious or slow...

... I gave the other consoles a fair trial. I tried their games, enjoyed them, got my money's worth, defended them, and agreed that they were superior to the Wii's library.

But now that I've looked at the Wii again... after just a few minutes of looking at the games... after just a few minutes of playing them again...
    I'm going back to being a Nintendo fanboy.

The gaming industry needs to change.
    Graphics, power, and capability isn't what make a game.
    A game is what makes a game.

I don't mind having games like God of War and inFamous and Heavenly Sword and Final Fantasy and Gears of War exist. They're "fun" in their own rights.
    What I DO mind, is people denying that games like Mario Kart Wii and Little Big Planet are prize-worthy too!

I'm tired of these goddamn metacritic-babies and technical-snobs!

Games should be about fun!

FÜCK your Natal and your dildo of a controller!
    They don't change a damn thing!
    Here's the fücking truth: It's not just about the controls, it's about the game!

SO BRING IT, SONY AND DICKHEAD FANS!!!
    You don't know what real fun is.

I'm going back to buying mainly Wii games again!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Soshi Kitai For This Useful Post:

Abu Dhabi (Jun 03, 2009)

Thanks

... maybe fanboy's too strong of a word. I actually hate Nintendo fanboys.

I'm going to be a Nintendo "fan" again.

..... but I'll still be an Kojima fanboy, and PeterM fanboy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Soshi Kitai For This Useful Post:

Abu Dhabi (Jun 03, 2009)

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

It seems I still don't really get on what a fanboy ultimately is. I know it's meant in a negative way, but how to describe a fanboy? What's the difference between a fanboy and a "normal" fan?
    In the end, both support and like the ideas the respective company stands for.
    Is it the not wanting to accept or open up for other things? The automatically disliking of the competitor's products?
    I would kinda like to know whether I am a Nintendo fanboy or not. I fully support Nintendo's ideas and I like almost everyone of their games and I stuck to them even on their darkest hours at last year's E3.
    I neither have a PS3 nor do I have a 360.

The reason is simple: I saw their conferences. I think it's partly what your rant was all about. Take sony's conference for instance. I saw the trailer of that Thief game, the awesome graphics in the game and the immense power behind it. Still, I am not in any way excited about it. For me, it doesn't look like fun. A "boring" shooter with extremely nice looking graphics. However, I am almost sure I wouldn't play the game much even if I could. I believe, I will much more enjoy playing even Galaxy 2, although I am not such a fan of its predecessor. First Mario game I'm NOT hugely addicted to and they bring a sequel ... I'd much more like a new Sunshine. I LOVED that game. Whatever.
    The same goes for MAG. 256 gamers online at the same time, multiplayer. Something I, as a Nintendo gamer, sure am lacking of. And I always liked the idea. But again, the idea of playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii with 3 friends of mine is much more appealing to me than playing MAG.
    Although I also don't really liked the idea of that "make-your-own-levels" race game, no idea on how it is called, so maybe I AM preoccupied with Nintendo after all ... Creating your own levels is awesome, don't get me wrong but I still do think that in the end, it won't be able to provide as much fun as Mario Kart does with its crazy drivers, levels and modes.
    I haven't seen much of it, so I am not sure on how I am right about this.
    Having said this, I gotta play F-Zero GX again, the ONLY real racing game from Nintendo ... made by SEGA.
    It was similar for me on Microsoft's conference. I am not really interested in the Final Fantasy games I have to admit. I'll stick with some other RPG's on Wii until DQ IX and eventually X comes out somewhen.
    The only game which kinda interested me from the conference is Modern Warfare 2, just because I heard that the first one should really have been awesome. Oh and I shouldn't forget Alan Wake of course! That one looked really neat.
    But other than that, I lost interest in the Halo games and since it's late, I can't actually remember more things that were interesting at MS. Or which weren't. :P

Anyway, I do have a Xbox and I was a REALLY great fan of the Halo series for instance, until I played the third part of the series on 360 and totally loved all BioWare games.
    I played WoW and BioShock on PC and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get Star Wars: The Old Republic.
    So it's not like that I refuse to play games not related to Nintendo. But for me, they are simply not as much fun as Nintendo's are. There are undeniably some games my heart bleeds for not being able to play them, like ICO's newest one (especially that one!) or Left 4 Dead and Little Big Planet. The list is rather small though.

So am I or am I not a fanboy?

About the motion controllers. Well, to be honest, I am not sure what I should think of Natal. It looks to me, like a little enhanced version of EyeToy. I think it's a little early to try it this way. That one avatar that crazy dude in the red jacket was controlling sure made strange moves ...
    Ps3's looks interesting, letting alone the design of it. I'm interested what's coming up with that one. Although it seemed to me, it was a VERY quick decision on showing it. Probably a reaction to Microsoft's press conference.

On a side note: How is it possible that The Grinder features 4 player co-op online and The Conduit 16 players online (?) while Miyamoto says it wasn't possible to add it to New Super Mario Bros. Wii due to the lack of Wii's power?
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lapislazuli View Post
    So am I or am I not a fanboy?
    You're not one.
    A fanboy foolishly throws other things aside for what they're a fan of.
    A fan can... just like a game.

A fanboy denies the competition and defends what they're a fan of.
    A fan can... just defend its valid points/possibilities.

You're just a fan.

However, to fanboys: You're either with them or against them. ...so Sony and Microsoft fanboys would consider you a Nintendo fanboy.

On a side note: How is it possible that The Grinder features 4 player co-op online and The Conduit 16 players online (?) while Miyamoto says it wasn't possible to add it to New Super Mario Bros. Wii due to the lack of Wii's power?
    Perhaps it's the idea of: It's impossible to do it smoothly in the fashion he wanted?

Miyamoto has been known for two things with "false statements":
    1) When he's proved wrong it's usually due to him lying in the first place... Miyamoto tends to prefer his fans to be SURPRISED when he dishes out a new idea. He tends to build up his ideas via game-creations. While completely possible to bring out the best possible Mario game ever: He tends to save it, making each mario game better and better. Not only does it save cash, it also keeps fans happy without expecting too much.

2) When he's proved wrong, it could also be for the fact that they didn't do it in the same fashion he wished to: Perhaps the online capabilities that one shares in their game may serve well with what they're doing, but compared to Miyamoto's idea of multiplayer -- it can't be compared. It's in the same fashion of apple's to oranges.

...oh, and #3 of course:
    Miyamoto's not a big fan of online. He tries his best to make Wii-owners not have to resort to online-gaming. I respect that.

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    You're not one.
    A fanboy foolishly throws other things aside for what they're a fan of.
    A fan can... just like a game.

A fanboy denies the competition and defends what they're a fan of.
    A fan can... just defend its valid points/possibilities.

You're just a fan.
    Alright, seems that I got it now. It's good to know where I stand now. Fan sounds good enough anyway.
    However, to fanboys: You're either with them or against them. ...so Sony and Microsoft fanboys would consider you a Nintendo fanboy.
    I did excpect that. I've already been called Nintendo fanboy once or twice for telling my ideas on some topics.

Perhaps it's the idea of: It's impossible to do it smoothly in the fashion he wanted?

Miyamoto has been known for two things with "false statements":
    1) When he's proved wrong it's usually due to him lying in the first place... Miyamoto tends to prefer his fans to be SURPRISED when he dishes out a new idea. He tends to build up his ideas via game-creations. While completely possible to bring out the best possible Mario game ever: He tends to save it, making each mario game better and better. Not only does it save cash, it also keeps fans happy without expecting too much.

2) When he's proved wrong, it could also be for the fact that they didn't do it in the same fashion he wished to: Perhaps the online capabilities that one shares in their game may serve well with what they're doing, but compared to Miyamoto's idea of multiplayer -- it can't be compared. It's in the same fashion of apple's to oranges.

...oh, and #3 of course:
    Miyamoto's not a big fan of online. He tries his best to make Wii-owners not have to resort to online-gaming. I respect that.
    Duh! Miyamoto's a liar! But I guess it's for the best, holding back a little bit, that is. Must have been along the lines of Nintendo's conference as well. I bet they could still show off megatons!
    I just couldn't imagine that's it's simply NOT possible to make New Super Mario Bros. Wii online. I didn't like the idea of it. I was like, try harder damnit! >_<
    It's not that it's that important for me though. I prefer playing it with some friends next to me. It's much more satisfying that way.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Thanks

And besides: You know how lag looks like in an online first-person-shooter...
    How bad would lag be in a Super Mario Bros. game???

Not being able to shoot at a lagger is one thing, but a player being eaten by the scrolling-screen due to a lag on their screen/falling to their doom due to a glitch while jumping/dying from a late reaction to fireballs is a whole 'nother story.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

kudos to you, Sweetie~

as for me, um... where is all the cute stuff?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast