+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Ball Z: Raging Disappointment

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Dragon Ball Z: Raging Disappointment

Been playing that new DBZ game... what was it called?
    Raging Blast, I think?

(The name isn't that memorable to me)

Otherwise known as Dragon Ball Z - Budokai - Tenkaichi 4.

It's okay. It's fun.. but...
    well...
    The lines on the characters are so thin. It's as if they were trying to show off the graphics to make the lines to its absolute minimum - - but they don't realize that the thick lines in the DBZ anime made it what it was.
    So a lot of characters look off.
    Let's not forget to mention how bright everything is.
    It looks TOO cel-shaded. As if the absolute idea has been thrown to the ground.
    I understand they were trying to show off graphics, but I seriously think the graphics in DBZBT3 were perfect, and DBZ:Burst Limit was the best you could get if you wanted to show off graphics.

This? ...eh... it looks kinda' ugly on it.

Gameplay? ...it plays EXACTLY the same as Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
    Good thing or bad thing?
    Both.
    Good because the controls in DBZBT3 were perfect with how they were.
    Bad because it's not on the Wii.
    In all honesty, mimicking kamehamehas made the game so fun. Being stuck to a controller, no less a single controller, feels not so fun.
    Let's not forget to mention the spinning of the joystick to battle in clashes! This form of clashing worked great when it first came out, but when I played it on the Wii - it was PERFECT.
    The Wiimote + Nunchuk separate was perfect for this joystick spinning.
    If you were really into it, you'd toss your Wiimote down and go as fast as you could on the Nunchuk. It was comfortable, it was perfect.
    Having the controls on two hands were perfect on their own as well for simple combos. I find myself having to resort to the "barbaric" ways of old fighting games where I have to reach one finger over to a button - a slight discomfort, but a discomfort nonetheless. When I played it on the Wii, having two different controllers with each hand doing their own thing worked perfectly. I never had to REACH OVER with a finger to get to a button. I could simultaneously prepare 3 attacks with how easy the controls were... this one, I could only prepare 2 attacks. Barbaric, in my opinion. For all you 360/PS3 fans that whine about motion controls: The Wii had a huge advantage - two separate controllers. You could be in ANY positions of comfort and still be able to play. A single controller has to keep your hands in one place, elbows bent in the same position, and constantly trying to encourage you to hunch over. ...two controllers don't encourage any of that.

So yeah, there's my beef with the game controls.

Another thing I've got a problem with is how limited this stuff is!
    I'm super special happy that the "What If" sagas are back (hell yeah, I love the What If sagas), but seriously 70+ characters only?
    I know most people didn't care about Frieza Soldier and little Chi Chi, but it gave the DBZBT3 SO MUCH MORE replayability, as every added character added a different challenge whenever you battled them or as them.
    It was unique. It was fun.
    70 sucks. It's still cool, but hardly any variety...

They tried to bring back the whole "ultra-customization" thing that Budokai had, but they screwed that up too. Sure, you could power up your characters, but the powers you could choose from were the most basic of the characters' powers! Their costumes don't even vary that much here either!
    For moving onto a next-gen system, they screwed up every chance they got at making this game great!
    You'd think with the added next-gen power they'd make the arenas super-huge or build up the graphics beyond phenomenal, or even add tons of characters or costumes! Or even THE MOST ASKED FOR THING FROM ALL BUDOKAI TENKAICHI FANS: Chracter creator!

BUT NO!
    The stages are bigger, but not that much bigger from Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
    The graphics are easily beaten by Burst Limit.
    There's LESS characters than Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
    And the costume choices are pathetic in comparison to BT3!
    And no surprise: No character creator. (that option would be "too good" for a dbz game apparently... :/) ...stupid thing is, they actually said they were going to add it for DBZBT4. And this IS DBZBT4. I don't care if Bandai Namco bought the rights for the game, they should still try to hold up to fans' expectations!

In fact the only great thing about this game is are the online matches. They're perfect.

I am also glad there's more varied music to choose from... the English version of DBZBT3 had obnoxious rock and obnoxious rock for its choices... they were good, but got very tiring after a while.

Oh one more huge problem I've got: The Ki blasts have degenerated back to Budokai blasts. The stupid looking wisp-shaped pew-pew blasts that barely dent or flinch each other.
    HEY! BANDAI NAMCO! TAKE A LOOK AT DBZBT3!!! The ki blasts in those were PERFECT! They don't look like p***y blasts that barely do sh**. They look like the actual blasts from the show that do DAMAGE.

...geez.

And so, I leave you with three videos for you to stare at:

Raging Blast
    Tenkaichi 3
    Burst Limit

(yes I know the video for raging blast video is still from its early development: funniest thing is- IT HASN'T CHANGED SINCE)
    Last edited by Soshi Kitai; Nov 19, 2009 at 04:20 PM.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Raging Disappointment

This is exactly what I mean, all the games after Budokai 3 have been the same fighter. They've used all the characters they have in the series so I guess that's what you get for ending a great show. Sorry that you wasted your money.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw the commercial for that game last night and said to myself, "Why are they still making DBZ games?!"

I like the 'Dragonball' series, but nobody even watches it anymore, LOL. I guess whatever makes more money for Atari, or whoever is responsible for this game. ^_^

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Anarchy View Post
    This is exactly what I mean, all the games after Budokai 3 have been the same fighter. They've used all the characters they have in the series so I guess that's what you get for ending a great show. Sorry that you wasted your money.
    Nah, wasn't a waste of money for me. It's just a disappointment that I waited so long for this game.

Budokai 3 was okay... it was great in its flashiness, but wasn't that varied in battle-styles.
    Tenkaichi took it to a bigger step by allowing much more varied styles of fighting.. there were tons of combos people could pull off that weren't shown.

However, this Tenkaichi 4 is...... sad.
    Tenkaichi fans such as myself have been waiting too long for a Tenkaichi 4. Tenkaichi was the best representation of the series for us.
    The only thing that would've made it perfect was if Tenkaichi and Budokai fused themselves together. Budokai 3 had the best variations in powers and editing. Tenkaichi 3 had fighting that was closest to the series, plus larger arenas, and tons of more characters.

We were kinda' hoping for a FUSION of the two. But nope. This game has less features than Tenkaichi 3. It's still good. There's still tons to do. And fun can still be had. But I just feel cheated out of it.

And no, not all games after Budokai 3 were the same.
    The Dragon Ball games for the Wii and DS are both amazing games nothing like the other games.
    The Dragon Ball Z RPG for the DS is also pretty good, classic RPG - nothing like the other games.
    Also, that rather "bad" DS card-game style DBZ game was OBVIOUSLY nothing like the other games.

Ever since Bandai Namco got their hands on the DBZ/DB/DBGT license, they've been changing the style of DBZ games...
    ...but when they got their hands on DBZBT4, which is what Atari's been working in "secret" over the years, it felt like they just released it before it was finished... :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I saw the commercial for that game last night and said to myself, "Why are they still making DBZ games?!"

I like the 'Dragonball' series, but nobody even watches it anymore, LOL. I guess whatever makes more money for Atari, or whoever is responsible for this game. ^_^
    Nah... Atari's been going downhill for quite sometime... DBZ games always saved their butts from going completely bankrupt more times than anyone can count.
    But sadly, Bandai Namco now owns the DBZ franchise in gaming.

Why's that a bad thing?
    Because Atari TALKED TO THE FANS and PROMISED US a better DBZBT4... Sadly, t'will never be the case.

...why do they still make them? Because they're fun.
    They're a break from all the other types of fighting games out there. Not much fighting games where you can fly around, blast each other, go into clashes, or do sweet finishing moves on each other.

If they stopped making DBZ games, I'd be a sad man.
    I like my pow-pow bam-bam games.

... If you have a DS or Wii, try out the DragonBall games for them. They're pretty good.

Otaku POOHEAD189 is off to a good start POOHEAD189's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

actually I know a ton of people who watch it. In fact you might call the time period we are in as the "dragonball renaissance." A few years back I thought I was its only fan, but then last year I found out I wasnt a whale in the ocean, I was one of many MANY fish.

As for the raging blast game, It was actually pretty fun to me. It may not have been "shiney new" gameplay, but I still enjoyed it.
    Crazy people don't know they're going crazy. They think they're getting saner.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Another thing I've got a problem with is how limited this stuff is!
    I'm super special happy that the "What If" sagas are back (hell yeah, I love the What If sagas), but seriously 70+ characters only?
    I know most people didn't care about Frieza Soldier and little Chi Chi, but it gave the DBZBT3 SO MUCH MORE replayability, as every added character added a different challenge whenever you battled them or as them.
    It was unique. It was fun.
    70 sucks. It's still cool, but hardly any variety...
    i whole heatedly agree! i DBZBT3, it felt like you had all these choices for characters, becuz they had a boat load from every saga. in this reiteration, it feels like you can choose the Z fighters (Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien, Chiao Tzu, Vegeta, Trunks) and then a couple other people, that one guy, and that other guy. Oh, and that other guy who was in it for a while. no variety!

i prefer Burst Limit to this "DBZBT4" becuz it was trying to be its own game, with its own sets and stories and relative use of characters. however, since "DBZBT4" is trying to be part of the series, it really just highlights what they could have done better, and the spots fans wish was filled with their long neglected requests.

one wish i would have, is for the little Indian girl, the one from that tribe in Dragon Ball, i'd like to see her in a game. they could make up her moves, i don't care. but that would be awesome~

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    Nah... Atari's been going downhill for quite sometime... DBZ games always saved their butts from going completely bankrupt more times than anyone can count.
    But sadly, Bandai Namco now owns the DBZ franchise in gaming.

Why's that a bad thing?
    Because Atari TALKED TO THE FANS and PROMISED US a better DBZBT4... Sadly, t'will never be the case.

...why do they still make them? Because they're fun.
    They're a break from all the other types of fighting games out there. Not much fighting games where you can fly around, blast each other, go into clashes, or do sweet finishing moves on each other.

If they stopped making DBZ games, I'd be a sad man.
    I like my pow-pow bam-bam games.

... If you have a DS or Wii, try out the DragonBall games for them. They're pretty good.
    Despite my last comment about DBZ games, I've been meaning to try the DS versions. I still like the games and probably will like them when they make more. It had been so long since the last DBZ game, I was shocked they made another. ^_^

Like you, I'm big on my fighting games, so not playing Raging Blast--or any other 'Dragonball' related game after it's release--would be like not playing any new 'Street Fighter' or 'KOF' games upon their arrival. I suppose DBZ will live on through our home consoles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast