+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Reply That Is Truth

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

A Reply That Is Truth

Original article:
    EEDAR: Blame low industry sales on casual gamers
    EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich recently told Industry Gamers that the low sales reported by NPD in October can be attributed mainly to casual gamers. Specifically, he placed the blame on "non-traditional and casual gamers who have failed to make follow-up purchases." Conversely, Divnich said that core game sales have been "quite healthy" throughout 2009. So, what can drive casual gamers back to the cash register? "it will take the introduction of some new style of gameplay or peripheral before we see a resurgence in the casual and non-traditional markets," said Divnich, noting that his company expects a new DS to arrive in 2010 (presumably a next generation model, not another redesign). In addition, Divnich believes that Microsoft's Project Natal could reinvigorate interest in motion-controlled gaming among both core and casual gamers.

Divnich also reiterated his belief that the Wii will remain on top for the rest of the year. He also thinks the PS3 could outsell the Xbox 360 over the holidays. He did note, however, that PS3 sales are "declining much faster post-price drop than the Xbx 360," suggesting that it's too early to claim any definite winners in the long run.

Reply:

BPMOmega [XBL, PSN, Steam] @ Nov 13th 2009 9:55PM

I think part of the problem is the lack of originality in the game industry, the fear of trying anything new, and the massive ammount of "me, too" games. I mean, how often do you buy a game that was similar to another one you already had? Maybe if it had some really interesting gimmicks or interesting characters/story... but that doesn't really apply to "casual" games.

If you already bought "Brain Age," then why would you also want to buy "Brain Challenge?"

You have here a market of people who do not normally buy video games (for one reason or another), and yet you're trying to shove 50M+ different games at them that you think they should buy. And why? Because they already got, and liked, "Wii Sports?"

And, dear Lord, how many music games did we have this year alone? If anything's killing the "casual" game scene, it's the flood of peripheral-based games. Guitar Hero, DJ Hero, Rock Band, Rock Revolution, Scratch... and I'm sure there's more small-time games out there, just taking up shelf space in an ignored corner in GameStops everywhere.

You can blame low industry sales on "casual" gamers because of there simply being too many "casual" games. Instead of trying to take a slice of the same, ever-shrinking pie, they should try for something new instead. Wii was a hit because it was something refreshing and different, not because it specifically targeted "casual" gamers (despite what the console fanboy, blog dwellers may cry out). Natal and the PlayStation Motion Controller are going to fail to reach the "casual" crowd like Microsoft and Sony are hoping for, because most of them are going to look at them and say, "I already have the Wii, so why do I need this, too?" It's a rush for fool's gold.
    Much Truth In That.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: A Reply That Is Truth

Amen, my friend.

+ Reply to Thread