+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There was a time when...

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

There was a time when...

^_^ Just made a topic so I could post random things that I remember in the past (whether heard of, done, seen, or read of). I'm not as nostalgic as I used to be, and I do believe the future can bring betterment, but I will agree that there were many things in the past that were better.

You guys can post too, of course.

...anywho.
    There was a time when people didn't have the internet to look up game reviews and judge completely with what reviewers said on their sites.

Instead, they only had magazines and the back of the box to tell them whether or not they had to buy the game. ...so people bought more games and rarely were they horrible choices. Why?
    1. It was in earlier times, when fun meant something totally different... it meant "FUN".
    2. Magazine reviewers were more optimistic (while still trying to be mean and cool) about games back then due to the boom of the industry. That, and when readers didn't like their reviews, people would drop their subscription, so they often had to look at games optimistically. While in a video game website, a pessimistic review gets a TON of negative comments from trolls, fanboys, and rational gamers. And whether or not it's negative, a view and a comment raises the popularity of a website. Henceforth: An ---hole with a stick up their --- is a "better reviewer" and much more popular to the general public. Making every general public gamer become an ---hole with a stick up their ---. No joke.
    3. Parents had more money back then.

...I swear, these new gamers are making the video game industry make awful games. Look at what they did to the 360 and Wii. On the 360 side, they're losing a lot of creativity. Though there are a ton of great games on them, I still say "they CAN AND SHOULD BE a lot better by now". On the Wii side, children just don't have the same sense of "fun" as we did back in the day. They're much more gullible and susceptible to marketing than we were, when we were kids. So what do they do when they see a bright and shiny game with bubbly balloons / a game with a bunch of crazy objects doing awful kung fu? That's right, they buy it. Cuz they're retarded.

/end rant

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

Re: There was a time when...

As always, I agree with you on the fun part. Fun's good.

However I wouldn't compare those gamer generations with each other. Market has changed so fast, with the internet and the whole video game market growing like mad ...
    It's not that they are more gullible to marketing than you or someone of your age is. There simply is much more marketing. Nowadays, the gaming industry is huge compared to former times, which means the marketing section grew too. With so many more ads and other marketing stuff, they are of course more susceptible to buy games than you were back then ... So it's not done with calling them retarded.
    And the more games there are, the more bad games there are. Nowadays, from 10 new games, 9 are bad. So chance is high that if you buy a game without some research it'll turn out bad. I'd say higher than earlier, though I can't know that, as I wouldn't call myself as the old gamer generation ... (:
    Plus, I wouldn't agree to 100% on you internet reviewer statement either. Of course, all those bashers out there enjoy their bit of attention ... But I wouldn't say that every reviewer has a tactic like that.
    A friend of mine (who's in fact 29 ...) once told me something similar concerning the video game magazines. He said that he missed the time when there was no internet. Where he desperately waited for the new magazine to be released so that he can read it. With the internet nowadays, information leaks from every tiny hole. No excitement.
    Anyway, that's not the point I wanted to make. What I want to say is: Back then, you could count the videogame magazines on one hand (at least that was the case here in austria). Which means, no business competition at all. If someone was interested in video game reviews, he had no choice but to buy that certain magazine, simply as he lacked choices. It doesn't matter how good the reviewer and the article was. You bought it, because you had no other choice. Nowadays with the internet, it's completely different. Too many to ever see them all. Which means, to really stay on top and have many people visit your website, it sure is not enough to just rant about every little game. No, I think in fact it is much harder to have your visitors (although there are much more potential visitor) if you want to do some serious reviewing, as there are simply so~ many other different reviewing websites, so many other 'rivals'. To receive your attention online, you have to do some good reviews too so that you'll really be recognized ... So I wouldn't say quality standards are only going downhill on the net.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: There was a time when...

I understand what you're saying, but if you can tell from my last comment "Cuz they're retarded." : I'm just whining - not so much thinking rationally. Like an old man complainin' about the youngin's.

Anywho, getting my journal back in line...

There was a time when movie theaters in my area had great food and snacks.
    Now they dropped the quality just for profit.

...there was also a time when everyone agreed it was "theatre" not "theater"... *sigh* I miss spelling it as "theatre".

+ Reply to Thread