+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Path to Sobriety

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Path to Sobriety

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    ^_^ We're all really proud of you, Sprout!

dunno if this applies, but read this today on a blog and it really spoke to me, maybe it might say something to you:

Psalm 18:19
    He brought me out into a spacious place;
    He rescued me because He delighted in me.
    I dunno why I didn't see your reply yesterday. My bad. But anyway, thanks Abu! That verse actually says a lot to me. Also, reading that verse reminds me of how I don't want to end up in the same position I was in this past weekend, nor do I want to put my loved ones in that same position ever again.

I was just talking to the pastor of the church I grew up in--which I rarely have attended in the past few years--yesterday and I was explaining to him that I wanted to talk to him for some sort of spiritual guidance. It felt kinda odd when I spoke to him, because I never really considered myself as a Christian after I graduated from high school. I wanted to be more 'Zen'; following most eastern and/or buddhist beliefs. I probably still will follow up on that, considering that a good portion of "The Big Book" has a lot in common with Buddhism AND Christianity. So, we arranged a meeting for this Saturday, which will be the completion of my first week of sobriety. ^_^

Anyway, now I'm rambling. LOL. I just wanted to make sure I got to thank you properly, as I have everyone else so far. ^_^

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Well as I said before Atomic, thats one of the cool things about having a faith regardless of what it is, even if its just a spiritual Buddest way which is all good, thats because you know you can talk and support each other, even if you don't find your self connected with that other groups faith, the fact that they are taking time out of their day and effort to give you strength and giudence to help and support you is a wonderfull feeling.

I remember when Frozenrose and I were talking and the two of us were having issues in our lives and were rather frustrated with a few things, mostly finding the right person to have a relationship with, that we prayed for each other to find that some one and to support and look out over each other through any hardship. It felt good. I am not a big Church go-er, I have my faith but don't really pray or anything like that, but it felt good to try and help some one and knowing they are doing the same for me. And Frozenrose is Muslim and I am Catholic, I don't believe in Isam but just like she doesnt believe in Christianity, but it made each other feel good to know that some one believes you are worth giving strength and happiness through their faith even if you are on completely different ends of the spectrom, and it does help.
    Last edited by Scourge; Nov 20, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scourge For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Nov 23, 2009)

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    So, we arranged a meeting for this Saturday, which will be the completion of my first week of sobriety. ^_^
    From what I've heard from you about your life. You were happier as a child despite the turmoil in your life (mom marrying and remarrying and such, school issues whatever.) And the only thing that has really changed aside from your independence, that I can see, Is your spirituality. While you may follow more "zen" practices, you don't really -practice- any sort of spirituality like you followed christianty as a kid. Maybe that's something you need to include more in your life and thus I think this is a fantastic idea. Especially since it's a church figure you know and trust to be open with you.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Otaku Utena Tenjo is off to a good start
    Thanks

I say good luck!
    I think this is a very beneficial challenge and I wish you the best.
    I..think I've told people I do drink and on occasion I have done marijuana. I think that right now I do it because I don't think it hurts anyone. However, seeing things like this open my eyes quite a bit, especially considering a loved one is having drug difficulty at the moment and it makes me wonder if I hurt people with my drug use as she does with hers.

And also, while I am a great believer in moderation, I think that in occasion certain things like sobriety are more beneficial when cut off completely. In a detoxification sort of way. Of course, this sort of thing is unique to the individual, and like Scourge has brought up, it is sometimes faith that helps most. And like others have also said, that faith doesn't have to be even a religion, sometimes faith and confidence in your self is what gets you through your roughest.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Utena Tenjo For This Useful Post:

atomik_sprout (Nov 23, 2009), Scourge (Nov 20, 2009)

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Utena Tenjo View Post
    I say good luck!
    I think this is a very beneficial challenge and I wish you the best.
    I..think I've told people I do drink and on occasion I have done marijuana. I think that right now I do it because I don't think it hurts anyone. However, seeing things like this open my eyes quite a bit, especially considering a loved one is having drug difficulty at the moment and it makes me wonder if I hurt people with my drug use as she does with hers.

And also, while I am a great believer in moderation, I think that in occasion certain things like sobriety are more beneficial when cut off completely. In a detoxification sort of way. Of course, this sort of thing is unique to the individual, and like Scourge has brought up, it is sometimes faith that helps most. And like others have also said, that faith doesn't have to be even a religion, sometimes faith and confidence in your self is what gets you through your roughest.
    You are so right Utena, faith helps, and so does confidence, some times it is faith that help give you confidence, and many times its just the people you seround your self with. Knowing that they care and respect you and are willing to go through any lengths, even if they are limited in what they can do for you helps greatly.

I am going to shair something with you guys. A friend of mine who we call "hat" SImply because he ALWAYS has a hat on, use to do pot, and a few other things, don't know what those were but he kick those quick. Any way he did pot for years, and iventually had not one but two exstramly bad heart attacks which were related to him using pot. Now, he had kids at a young age while he was a seniour in highschool. All our friend tried to help him kick his habit but he wouldnt buddge on it untill after his two heart attacks. Fearing that he wouldnt be around to see his kids if this continued, he effectivly stopped it and we helped give support through his tough times.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bratling View Post
    From what I've heard from you about your life. You were happier as a child despite the turmoil in your life (mom marrying and remarrying and such, school issues whatever.) And the only thing that has really changed aside from your independence, that I can see, Is your spirituality. While you may follow more "zen" practices, you don't really -practice- any sort of spirituality like you followed christianty as a kid. Maybe that's something you need to include more in your life and thus I think this is a fantastic idea. Especially since it's a church figure you know and trust to be open with you.
    Not really. It's one of those, happy on the inside, miserable on the outside kind of things. I never really noticed it as a kid but, my mom was tellin' me yesterday that she knew I wasn't as happy as I led people on to believe. Sherm can tell you that I was far from happy when my mom remarried. I wanted Phillip dead at a certain point in my teenage years and it wasn't until they divorced that he and I buried the hatchet and became closer. When my mom was married to him, we had our bonding moments but, those were outweighed by our fights... Massively outweighed.

You are right to a certain degree about church and spirituality; I'll give ya that. ^_^ However, happiness was starting to become out of my reach the more my life had changed or took turns for the worse. I was never good at talking to people about my feelings when I was younger, so I would just bottle it up. Sometimes bottling it up meant drinking (yes, pun intended!) and sometimes it meant smoking up to forget my troubles. In fact, in my early twenties, Sherm was the only person I really spoke to about ANYTHING on a deeply personal level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2