+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taking one for granted

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Taking one for granted

Attention is also frequently related to contrast or change in stimulation. Put differently, unchanging people or things become less noticeable. This principle offers an explanation (excuse?) for why we take consistently wonderful people for granted when we interact with them frequently. It's only when they stop being so wonderful or go away that we appreciate them (Adler, Rosenfeld & Proctor; 2010)
    I read that in my Interpersonal Communication book, which is why I've cited it in the quote area using APA citation.

Anyway, it really got me thinking and caused me to evaluate certain aspects of my life and how I've been affected by others, as well as how I've affected them. Sometimes, I wonder why certain people hold me to such high standards or act like I'm the single most important person to them and then I see myself doing the same thing with certain friends. The book just explained a whole lot to me. As soon as someone who I thought was the greatest person in the world stops being so great to me, I cling. Apparently the same works in vice versa. I have a friend who was awesome in more ways than one (you know who you are) and I stopped being awesome to them. Shortly afterward, the reciprocal awesomeness was not longer shared with me and I immediately did everything I could to get this wonderful person back. Didn't happen, but we remained friends. Now, I find myself trying to maintain a friendship with said person and vice versa and we both wonder what happened to the awesome person we both once knew (mainly, I question WTF happened to me).

I dunno, it's weird...

I've impacted quite a few people like that and have been impacted in the same manner. My granny was so strong and full of wisdom, great person to spend time with watchin' TV and talking about "the old days". She told me stuff about my family that I had no clue about as a child. She was one of the greatest people on the planet to me... Then she died. The awesomeness went away and I was stuck wondering why I took her presence for granted in my late teens and adult years. I can't get that back, y'know.

I could go on and on about this subject. I won't though. I just wanted to share the concept with you all. It's really interesting. Especially knowing that it's actually true. It's a very important fact in everyday life and good to know if you want to communicate with others. Don't take what you have for granted, people. It may turn around and bite you in the ass.

Anywho, I'm off to listen to iTunes and download some anime or something. Anything to avoid homework for another hour. ^_^ (I'll do it at some point tonight, LOL.)

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Taking one for granted

As much as I don't want to go into personal detail I think this applies to both our friendship on both sides and the relationship we had as well.
    You know us cancers. We need to be needed.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bratling View Post
    As much as I don't want to go into personal detail I think this applies to both our friendship on both sides and the relationship we had as well.
    You know us cancers. We need to be needed.
    I agree. I think that's what I was getting at, for the most part, when I made mention of that earlier. I think it's a pro and a con at the same time. As Cancers, we love to have interpersonal relationships and want to feel like we're needed as much as we need the other person and hold some sort of significance with others. At the same time, we feel like crap when we don't get that but put in that same amount of energy in to a person. It's a vicious cycle. >_<

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Right. Lack of reciprocation seems to be a very big problem for me. I just wrote a lj about how I hate caring for people more then they care for me.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

+ Reply to Thread