+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: AO's History

Otaku aeonking is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: AO's History

Quote Originally Posted by GallComp View Post
    Cibergig1 was the founder and leader of the community, then he had a partnership with Ewdi who owned the AnimeOnline.net domain. Due to health issues Ewdi sold the site to Spiderweb, After a few months the site was whiped out and had to re-start from scratch, Spiderweb sold the site to his partner Dan. After been less than active Dan sold the site to Spdude, and then it was sold to you DB....

Facts: Sinistra, Jaderabbit, or Cibergig1 have never owned the site...
    OK, so what your saying is Cibergig1 found the site but didn't own it but he was leader so wouldn't that make him owner?

Witch Hunter GallComp may be famous one day GallComp may be famous one day GallComp's Avatar
    Thanks

He founded the community using another board and name... Ewdi bought the AnimeOnline.net domain, the forum sofware and hosting. The community that gig founded was moved to AO, Gig remained as leader and Ewdi was the actual owner and all the bills were paid by him...

Retired frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta may be famous one day frr_Vegeta's Avatar
    Thanks

Back around the late 1990's there was a website (and still is actually) called Anime Wallpapers or AW for short. Sometime around 1999/2000 issues arose regarding the forums there and a few members banded together and created a new anime community known as Everything Anime on ezBoard.

This EA was founded by members such as Cybergig1, Cowboy Spike (Tychoides) and Oni Fenikkusu as well as several others. This site existed for a couple years and many 'Old School' members such as MoonUnit, K1, Zeroshen, Strongbad, Baron, Titan JW, Trunks, Tenma, and even myself posted there.

However, the community grew to the extent that it was decided it should have it's own website, so Cybergig and Ewdi created the site AnimeOnline.net and it was opened in the beginning of June 2002. Naturally nearly all members flocked over to it and anyone who was a member of EA and flocked to AO is an 'Old Schooler' in my book. AO was a spectacular success and in it's early days many more members signed up. Members such as Tse Lu, Caz-Chan, and Zui Quan joined in the first year, true Veterans of this community.

However the site changed hands several times since then and all but one or two of the dozens of 'old schoolers' and all but a handful of the 'Vets' have long since left. About half leaving when LK (Sinistra) and SW took over, and the other half at SPdudes idiocy. By the time DB got here this site was a new one entirely which is why I no longer post here unless something like this comes up.

So hat's off to Trunks, the only member besides me who has been with this community long enough to have posted this....and yet didn't -_- I don't like coming out of the woodwork.

And for the record, members like jaderabbit may seem old to you, but in reality he's still a new face in terms of the long history of this community.

One little note, go to this link which was posted earlier and scroll down to the bottom. You'll see "Retired EA posts" which was a section where we imported all the threads from the EZboard community and kept them. Surprisingly enough, the last post on the EZBoard was "EVERYONE MOVE TO OUR NEW FORUM"

Link: http://web.archive.org/web/200212011...ne.net/forums/

Thanks

Amazing so your like one of the oldest members of AO.

This just gets more surprising by the day.

So what was AO like then?

OH, and I worship you someone whos been on AO as long as you have desevres it.
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Nov 08, 2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Quote not needed

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    The mods here are great too... they all get along with each other and this saves me a lot of time.
    We get along? I'd say we have a begrudging respect for each other

If only the general community could see what goes on in the Black Mesa...

Kidding aside, I did mention that I remembered the 2002 skin, I can't remember exactly, but I think I either joined AO in September or October of 2002. This was back when a member actually had to prove themselves if they wanted to be a Community member, and it was only given on merit. I miss that

I left once SpiderWeb took over, and came back when DB bought the place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    We get along? I'd say we have a begrudging respect for each other

If only the general community could see what goes on in the Black Mesa...

Kidding aside, I did mention that I remembered the 2002 skin, I can't remember exactly, but I think I either joined AO in September or October of 2002. This was back when a member actually had to prove themselves if they wanted to be a Community member, and it was only given on merit. I miss that

I left once SpiderWeb took over, and came back when DB bought the place.
    Members had to prove themselves to become a Com member, Thats very fair and also a little bit harsh.

So aceman were their many Com members around?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

http://web.archive.org/web/200406120...ne.net/forums/
    http://web.archive.org/web/200503160....net/forum.php
    http://web.archive.org/web/200511241....net/forum.php

Now that's somethin' I haven't seen in a long time! ^_^
    Brings up some memories of living in a duplex with bratling and peach_follows and partying every weekend only to wake up with hangovers and a dirty house. LOL!

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aeonking View Post
    Members had to prove themselves to become a Com member, Thats very fair and also a little bit harsh.

So aceman were their many Com members around?
    Not as much as we do now

While it might be a tad bit "harsh" it was the right thing to do. I remember Cybergig sending me a PM telling me I became a comm member. Funny thing too, I am pretty sure that it was an automated msg looking back. Anyways it didn't feel like work to become a comm member. I had fun posting and next thing you know I was a comm member.

I didn't have to comment on a bunch of poems nor did I ever touch the intro section that time. There were many great topics.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast