Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Character Limits

Newbie Lost Radiant Redemption is off to a good start Lost Radiant Redemption's Avatar
    Across that rainbow bridge over there, and behind that glass gate
    Thanks

Character Limits

I have no idea if this had been posted on before, but is there a possibility that the character post limits for thread starts, and normal posts can be increased??

By this I mean drastically. compared to other sites the limits are really low, and already when posting rps, and templates for rps, I have had to double post because a character limit cut off my template..........

This is sort of a complaint, but I feel that for experienced rps, and those with a lot of info, such a small limit can hinder any rpers fun, and more.

I sincerely hope something can be done about this.
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Sep 12, 2007 at 04:26 PM.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Character Limits

thats a good idea the 10,000 word limit
    does hender a story or rpg i think increasing
    it would be cool so you could put more info
    into what your posting.
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

As and experienced RPGer you should know that posts should be readable to those who are playing. A post that is too long is NOT readable and NOT what an experienced RPGers would do. Why? Because they would understand the game isn't about them, it is about all of the players and no one wants to read a 50,000 word dissertation written by someone else to play a game. With players ranging from no experience to "god" like abilities it is about balance.

The post should be short enough for the reading of the post by others to be wanted yet long enough to give depth to the story. 10,000 characters are more then enough for a decent RPG post. If you are posting more then that then your post is much too long for anyone (other then you) to care enough to read it.

It is fine to develop your aspect of the story to the point you have a lot of material but break your posts up. There is no rush to post the whole thing, allow a person some breathing room. I personally love to RPG but I am not going to read a post that is more then 3 to 6 short paragraphs. Neither is anyone else.

The same goes for the RPG theme, you don't need to give everyone every aspect of the story...give them a brief synopsis and let them have some creative input.

Here is an example of where a person posted a good RPG post, where she built on the story yet was concise in her posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Iseldis made her way through the crowded market in the west end of Rowle. Her dark green eyes showed her concentration as she did her best to slip through the mass without tripping over anyone. It usually wasn’t this crowded but with the Dollet soldiers back in town trade was up as usual.

“All the way up until the fighting starts anyway”, Iseldis thought.

That was the thing about Galbadia. When they decided to go to war they tended to walk all over anyone else whether they were in the way or not. This time it seemed that Dollet was ready for them however, or at least thought it was. Their military had tripled in size in the last 7 years and the officers Iseldis saw seemed to be on holiday rather then on forward post duty.

“Not that it’s to surprising considering all the mercenaries they’ve hired as well,” Iseldis thought as she dodged two mercenaries in SeeD uniforms. “They probably think it’s going to be a walk in the park. I just hope someone has thought to restock the mountain stronghold for the civilians. We’re going to need it before this is over.”

Through the crowd Iseldis finally spotted her goal. Darting past a few lovebirds she pulled up in front of the fruit stand.

“A basket of apples please.”

Iseldis tucked a strand of her dark auburn hair behind her ear and began pulling things out of the pockets of her black leather waist jacket. A spool of twine, two paint brushes, keys, a pocket knife, a pocket watch, a small bottle of turpentine... Iseldis paused. “There it is, my change purse.” Iseldis looked up to see if the merchant had her apples ready while stuffing the other items back in the various pockets they had come from.
    Also double posting isn't allowed here on AO, even in the RPG threads. I will work with you to fix the situation but please understand where I am coming from with this. From what I have read you have a lot of good ideas and will be a great asset to the RPG section...but it needs some refinement.
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Sep 12, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Newbie Lost Radiant Redemption is off to a good start Lost Radiant Redemption's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't agree with that at all. On other sites long plots for rps and such draw rpers in , and make them want to join. An example of this is on KHI. Simple because a post is long does not ever mean that someone else does not want to read it.

If an rper seriously feels that way, then they are not that experienced. It's not about the rp being about a certain character either. I was talking about a template, which is the basis for a character. It always makes sense for a template to be well put together, and have descriptive elements, such as a history, and appearances, along with other elements.

Not only that, but it is more than pathetic when any rper makes an rp, and the plot and such is short, and there in no story to flow on, and the elements that they have created are not descriptive, and/or well put together. Also your example of a post, is okay, but it is not that detailed, and numerous exampl4s cab be shown where more input is needed in a post.

I said this when I introduced myself, I am new to only this forum, and have been rping for years on end, and I have to say that when Xelhes called me up (literally) and asked me to join here, and help out because of how good I am, and the great rps I make(not bragging I was very pleased to hear this), after seeing what you have posted, and even the notion that rps here need to have 5 people join before they are even accepted, makes things a bit hard..........

There are times when a posy can be empty, mainly because there is nothing to post about, and even then there is no reason to make a meaningless post. It is times liked those when one incorporates a flash black, on another even, or simply doesn't post at all, but like I said before it is a rare occurrence that a post other than an rp that is posted, or a template needs to be more than 10,000 characters.

A perfect example of this is in Xelhes' guide to rping thread. I believe he had to post 6, or more times in a row because each area of his guide only could have 10,000 characters........
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Sep 12, 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Hard to read with your font colour

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

As a Writer, and a former RPGer whose run several successful RPG (Play By Email Star Trek RPG's), I have to agree with Chief on this.

Good writers can get the most amount of information in the fewest words possible. If you can get a point across with 10 words, why write 40 or 50?

10,000 characters is more then enough.

Thanks

Sadly you are not getting my point. What is the point of using 10 dull words, when to spice things up you could take a bit of extra space and use more. It's about quality, not just throwing out information in as much a cramped space as possible, and like I stated previously is the exact reason why tons of sites do not have character limits, or very high ones...........

A role play seriously is not about just getting a point across, and if as a writer, or an rper, you can't see that, then there is something wrong. Role plays are supposed to be fun, and open up new ideas, and ways for enjoyment for others. Many people rp just to get away from what is not real, and I am sure that they would rather see something like.

"Triston stared down at the crystal clear lake, smiling at his reflection as the water lapped the lake's edges." than..........

"Tristom look at the water of the lake....."

It's a matter of taking time to make things enjoyable and descriptive, and not being lazy, and not wanting to read, or make really small posts and paragraphs.
    Last edited by Dragon Ball; Sep 12, 2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: hard to read your font colour

Shake the Core. Xelhes may be famous one day Xelhes may be famous one day Xelhes's Avatar
    Thanks

Guys...im sorry but i have to agree with Redemtion on this one me and him have been in many rp's together and EXP'ed RP'ers need more space...if you seen the rp's we have been i nlatley its needed. and for those that say it shouldnt be you guys just dont want to read....and thats how i see it. for example in my rp guide i hade to post it in 4 parts on another anime forum i am apart of it was all posted in 1 post -_- more space is wanted and needed
    ..:Open Your Wings Evil Angel:..

Thanks

Thank you Xelhes, I just can't believe these guys don't see my point It's like they're saying that to be good, you have to be concise. Then why are all novels hundreds of pages long? because otherwise the story would be shit. 10,000 characters is nothing when it comes to RPing, and you and I know it, so should a lot of other people.

What is more even if they personally don't write that much, why stop others from doing it? If other people are too lazy to read long posts, it's THEIR problem, it shouldn't have to be mine, or anyone else's who is used to extravagant rps and massive and well needed character limits......

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast