Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Character Limits

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Character Limits

Maybe give their suggestion a try if it is a possible setting with the forums...

On hand we won't end up having two experienced RPGers being bitter, and on the other hand if it does not work out (drop in quality of the RPG or activity), then they will learn that their style does not stretch across the board. If it works out then great, but if it doesn't the ball is on their court, and it's their decision to decide whether they want to help us make this great with another style or not.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Newbie Lost Radiant Redemption is off to a good start Lost Radiant Redemption's Avatar
    Across that rainbow bridge over there, and behind that glass gate
    Thanks

I could cry after reading that. That is the best thing I have seen in this thread all day!!!!!!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to give you an Idea what 10,000 characters, or aprox. 1500 words translates into print: 4 8.5x11" peices of paper @ 12pt font.

The reason I'm so adamant about not having this happen is because writing such long posts just smacks of show-off-ishness. It also doesn't give much room for other people to get their hands into the molding of the story: You've already done that with a uber long post.

Newbie Domineuce is off to a good start Domineuce's Avatar
    The last place you would look, your sister's closet XD.
    Thanks

Lol wut?

I was under the impression that character limits did not exist. The only reasonable etch for a character limit is to protect against spam.

A minimum of 25 characters.
    A maximum of 10,000?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

What in some cases if you write fanfiction and you hella exceed that by like what...40,000 characters?

I had this same problem on a forum with only 40,000 characters...I happen to a an obsessed writing nut job. DON'T YOU DARE CONFUSE THIS WITH FLAMBOYANT BULL CRAP! I happen to like reading a mass load of stuff...pending if it's extremely dry and what not then of course the material will indeed get stale and people tire of exceeding the limit.

On the topic of Role-Playing.

Character Creation:

-Short and ill-explained counts as spam does it not?
    ^Variously no effort is being show so how do we improve?

-Some people just like to write a story, decent bio, get into the concept of their writing and making something completely from scratch.
    ^I happen to be one of these people xD

-Using your own template...
    ^Really now? Who needs to baby another person on how to make their own person when expressing your own imagination?

-THE BIO!
    ^every character needs a biography...this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be UBAR long or anything, but it at least takes 2 paragraphs to show your not some novice amateur newblet trying to J-walk pass the rules of good plot....srsli.

Eh...thats about all I have to say on the matter of the 10,000 Limitations set on to text going into these post that for all we know may end up exceeding the present limt giving that fact that everyone has there own amount of information that want to convey and THAT is something that shouldn't be restricted or limited especially on mass topics that arise in society.

~Dom

Newbie Lost Radiant Redemption is off to a good start Lost Radiant Redemption's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Just to give you an Idea what 10,000 characters, or aprox. 1500 words translates into print: 4 8.5x11" peices of paper @ 12pt font.

The reason I'm so adamant about not having this happen is because writing such long posts just smacks of show-off-ishness. It also doesn't give much room for other people to get their hands into the molding of the story: You've already done that with a uber long post.

It has nothing to do with showing off, and long posts do not do what you are implying. If anything it gives moire basis for other rpers to build off in a post they come up with. I keep saying this.........

Quote Originally Posted by Domineuce View Post
    Lol wut?

I was under the impression that character limits did not exist. The only reasonable etch for a character limit is to protect against spam.

A minimum of 25 characters.
    A maximum of 10,000?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

What in some cases if you write fanfiction and you hella exceed that by like what...40,000 characters?

I had this same problem on a forum with only 40,000 characters...I happen to a an obsessed writing nut job. DON'T YOU DARE CONFUSE THIS WITH FLAMBOYANT BULL CRAP! I happen to like reading a mass load of stuff...pending if it's extremely dry and what not then of course the material will indeed get stale and people tire of exceeding the limit.

On the topic of Role-Playing.

Character Creation:

-Short and ill-explained counts as spam does it not?
    ^Variously no effort is being show so how do we improve?

-Some people just like to write a story, decent bio, get into the concept of their writing and making something completely from scratch.
    ^I happen to be one of these people xD

-Using your own template...
    ^Really now? Who needs to baby another person on how to make their own person when expressing your own imagination?

-THE BIO!
    ^every character needs a biography...this doesn't necessarily mean it has to be UBAR long or anything, but it at least takes 2 paragraphs to show your not some novice amateur newblet trying to J-walk pass the rules of good plot....srsli.

Eh...thats about all I have to say on the matter of the 10,000 Limitations set on to text going into these post that for all we know may end up exceeding the present limt giving that fact that everyone has there own amount of information that want to convey and THAT is something that shouldn't be restricted or limited especially on mass topics that arise in society.

~Dom

Damn right...........

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Think of it this way, the current character limit is the default one for the vB forum software.

All text in posts is stored in a database, and some hosts put a limit on to the size of the database. (I don't think that AO has a limit on its database, but I would sure like to know how large it is )

Also, the larger the entry in the database, the longer it could take for the site to access the database, and when you get 11 posts, each one with aprox. 40,000 characters in them, think of the slow down that could happen, not to mention the extra bandwidth used, which costs money.

Now you've heard both Technical, and logical reasons why such an increase isn't feasable for the RPG section. It would work for the Fan-fiction section, but not for RPGs.

and Lost Radiant, the RPG section has been around on AO a lot longer then you've been around here, and whining that we don't have what other sites have, and not listening to Logical reasons why we don't have what other sites have, isn't going to to help your case.

Thanks

Don't be foolish, I am not whining, but stating, and I said this multiple times already. Why the h*ll would each and every post have as you say "approximately" 40,000 characters?? I gave reasons for what I said, and they are logical while for what it's worth yours are more lazy than logical.

The only times when 10's of thousands of characters might need to be used is (like I said already), in the creation of an rp, or a template, or what Dom said.

You are the one who keeps spouting things that don't make any sense, and not listening to the logical of not only me, but Xelhes, Dom, and Legend!!!!! On top of that this your post just now is the only one that doesn't give a pathetic reason for why you have such small character limits, and even so that is blown out of proportion, when I have constantly been stating the reasons for what I am posting, while once again, you ignore them, or counter with supposed "logical" reasons.......

Thanks

Legend said he'd take it up with the rest of the staff, but if my response, and Chief's response (Who by the way, runs the RPG section), are any indication, I doubt it'll happen.

I only said you were whining because you've only been a member here one day, and you're already asking for a radical change to one of our sections thats been working just fine for years with the current set up.

And if you don't understand the points that I've made, maybe you should do a little research into the technology I mentioned, or how proper writing process works.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast