View Poll Results: Should we abolish the 2-week dead thread rule?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 38.24%
  • No

21 61.76%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dead Thread Rule

Otaku Laharl ex may be famous one day Laharl ex may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pyoro-pyoro View Post
    Dragon Ball, I would say that the rule is useless if people oftenhave something good to add, but unfortunately that is never the case.
    Or you can do something to have the 'trusted' members have the ability to post in them and not other usergroups.

Oh wait...that'd leave me out. T_T

Often times we have new members, or people that want to just access the gallery quickly, and ends up posting stuff that is not interesting content.
    I'm sure people still do that...

And my last point is, most of our REAL members (even if they're busy with work and school) will at least come in once every week and will not miss a thread. So the two week thing is reasonable.
    I know, I'm not a real member, just like the majority of other members. o.o

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks
    Laharl, if we do that then people going to start to cry foul about bias this and favoring that. So yes it is our job to close threads, and unneccesarry changes are well, unneccesary.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

M A S T E R Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan may be famous one day Zui Quan's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was on the staff when the 2-week rule went into effect. If it was only an occasional thing when a thread got the Lazarus treatment, there would have been no rule added. Unfortunately AO was infested with "necro-posters" and something had to be done.

We went through periods when the rule was strictly enforced and then there were times when we let it slide. Perhaps this is one of those times when you should keep the rule on the books but slack off on the enforcement and see what happens.
    Clan? What Clan?
    I'm the Master. I need no Clan.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zui Quan View Post
    I was on the staff when the 2-week rule went into effect. If it was only an occasional thing when a thread got the Lazarus treatment, there would have been no rule added. Unfortunately AO was infested with "necro-posters" and something had to be done.

We went through periods when the rule was strictly enforced and then there were times when we let it slide. Perhaps this is one of those times when you should keep the rule on the books but slack off on the enforcement and see what happens.
    I have to agree with this, but I think the whole thing boils down to this, how relevant is the material that is being posted in a dead thread and what are the circumstances around the thread.

Take for instance a thread created for the Anime "Ergo Proxy" this anime has not released in America. It has been released in Japan and fun-subbed. Thus a topic may have been created 3-4 months ago and has been dead for say 3 weeks now. "Ergo Proxy" has recently been licensed for release in America, so if (for sake of argument) it was released today and I went out and watched it I may have questions and comments now that I couldn't have had previously.

If the thread has only been dead for 3 weeks...I don't see that someone should be punished for rekindling that conversation...it just isn’t that old of a subject BUT if that thread has been dead for a month + then it just makes more since to create a new thread as everyone that had been discussing that anime has moved on.

There are also this to consider...for the most part I won't post in a thread that has 30 + posts if I haven't been active in it from the start...I just don't have time to read everyone's post and thus feel I can't do the subject matter true justice or that I will just be saying something that has already been said...so if a thread has a large following in the past and is now dead then sometimes it is good to have a new one created for people that may have missed out on the first thread.

Just my opinion.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks
    I'm pretty much a hardliner when it comes to the rules so I enforce it whenever I see a violation.

Cheetos Overlord jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit may be famous one day jaderabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    well we can prune all of the old posts and archive them in the vault like we use to...
    -Just another green eyed angel, distorted by mans love for hate-
    |THE INFAMOUS CHEETOS OVERLORD||IceNineKills|

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks
    As someone who has seen it both enforced and not enforced it is definately better when it is enforced. Occasionally when there is something that is just over two weeks and I really have something to say I have admitted it. However... I have yet to see a 2 week thread I have posted to go more then 5 more posts before dying again. If it hasn't been posted in for 2 weeks there is a reason.

I have to admitt making an exception for the one anime forum is something I agree with. It is the only circumstance I can think of where the 2 weeks rule has been irritating.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

S.E.L - sexy etna lover Baal may be famous one day Baal may be famous one day Baal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

With a Forum with as much traffic as Anime Online, the problem that we've found in the past is that if 'dead' threads are allowed to be brought active (like zombies raising from the grave...) the number of 'revived' threads quickly bury the current (and new) topic to the bottom of the pile, 3 or 4 web view pages from the top. Trying to arrange page views differently (such as sorting based on the thread start date instead of the most current posts) results in the long duration active topics being buried pages deep...

Even with the current '2 week & it's expired' rule, members always have the options of restarting a new thread with the same topic, and see if members want to contribute to it. Reviving a old dead thread (particularly if it has a large post count) gives the outward appearence of being actively participated in when in reality the previous post was made weeks or months ago...
    so reviving old threads might be useless and bring spam?

perdoname michelle!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast