+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does Anime Online Allow Contention?

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Does Anime Online Allow Contention?

In my opinion, contention is fine. That's the whole point of a debate, to see an argument from opposing sides. What isn't okay is baiting/harassing/belittling other members for their beliefs and opinions, which they have as much right to as anyone else. There's nothing wrong with being civil to someone even when you disagree with them, is there?
    sig by Pyro Psycho

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    The two week rule has been around a hell of a lot longer then you've been a member here, long before Dragon Ball came around, and dates all the way back to the golden age of Anime Online.
    Just because it's been done for longer than any of us have been here doesn't mean it's not silly...

I mean, they've been burning witches MUCH longer than our 2 week rule (which, as far as I know, is only hindering potential traffic and giving the mods more excuses to over-moderate... it's not like we're getting 100+ posts an hour anymore...)

If we want to phase out threads we'd probably be better off having an automatic system for closing and/or purging (like gamefaqs)... but I honestly don't see why threads shouldn't be active for as long as someone thinks they're worth posting in.

But that's just my opinion... it might be different if the community were as busy as it once was and the old threads were burying new ones.

But let's face it, there really AREN'T that many "new ones"...

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Just because it's been done for longer than any of us have been here doesn't mean it's not silly...

I mean, they've been burning witches MUCH longer than our 2 week rule (which, as far as I know, is only hindering potential traffic and giving the mods more excuses to over-moderate... it's not like we're getting 100+ posts an hour anymore...)

If we want to phase out threads we'd probably be better off having an automatic system for closing and/or purging (like gamefaqs)... but I honestly don't see why threads shouldn't be active for as long as someone thinks they're worth posting in.

But that's just my opinion... it might be different if the community were as busy as it once was and the old threads were burying new ones.

But let's face it, there really AREN'T that many "new ones"...
    Here's the flip side though, just because the rules says you can't post after 14 days doesn't mean they can't recreate the thread. Wouldn't that give the current members who posted their thoughts already to repost? By allowing the older threads to keep going on, I am pretty sure it is far fetched to let the members to repost their thoughts on the same thread.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    Here's the flip side though, just because the rules says you can't post after 14 days doesn't mean they can't recreate the thread. Wouldn't that give the current members who posted their thoughts already to repost? By allowing the older threads to keep going on, I am pretty sure it is far fetched to let the members to repost their thoughts on the same thread.
    1) We don't allow plagiarism. So copy/pasting someone else's post is out, obviously. Most users don't take the initiative to start threads AT ALL, much less revive others by rephrasing/rewriting their original posts.

2) What's the point? If a perfectly good thread with a perfectly good conversation in it already exists, we're only dilluting the quality of the conversation by asking people to have it all over again without all of the input already made... which lends itself to self-repetition/copy-pasting and self-referencing/linking from one thread to the other.

I'm not saying the rule is the most horrible thing in the universe. I just think it's a stupid rule to have on what is a more or less low-traffic messageboard. The rule made SOME modicum of sense when the board was flooded with posts hourly: but now it makes none at all.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

This rule always causes a division amongst members, some see the benefits others do not. Frankly there are a lot of variables, such as new members, people who have been away from the site. People who just haven't seen said thread, those who has posted their thoughts and are no longer interested, etc...

We don't want to hinder people from making topics by telling them they have to SEARCH OUT and post in threads that no one has touched in several weeks, months or years at the same time we don't want to be beating up someone who is "new" or has been gone on vacation for 2 weeks with a dumb rule saying they can't post their thoughts without creating a new thread.

But where is the line? Fact is most members do not browse forum sections beyond the first couple of pages of that section and God forbid they learn to use the search feature, that is a general rule...as always there are exceptions.

Given that, in most sections anything past the second page is older than 14 days. Thus it was always a good cut off. Don't believe me...go check it out. Not to mention if no one has talked about it in 2 weeks then they more than likely aren't going to find it (based on the general rule above) to do so and thus will create a new topic. Not to mention a new thread will bring new interest given those who were interested in the old thread are no longer interested in it...or the thread wouldn't be dead for 2 weeks.

I am not sure 2 weeks is the perfect time frame but it has worked fairly well since I have been here. The automatic close thing is a simple script if you know the table structure of the forums and it would help with the rule. The same goes for the double posting, it isn't hard to write some code to say that the post become merged or it just won't allow you to post again (we use to have that).

Maybe one day soon we can have those, till then the rules are the rules so deal with it.

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

I don't mean to waver from the subject while everyone is tossing rules up, but...

Is there not a rule about the usage of certain language?

Is there also not a rule about taunting?

I see both being done in the posts on this thread. If we are going to point at rules, should we not first lead by example? That's just my opinion.

I don't not agree with most of what Shodokan has to say, so I stay away from those posts. I believe I have only posted in this and the why don't Americans read manga post, and I disagreed with Shodokan then.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
    I don't mean to waver from the subject while everyone is tossing rules up, but...

Is there not a rule about the usage of certain language?

Is there also not a rule about taunting?

I see both being done in the posts on this thread. If we are going to point at rules, should we not first lead by example? That's just my opinion.

I don't not agree with most of what Shodokan has to say, so I stay away from those posts. I believe I have only posted in this and the why don't Americans read manga post, and I disagreed with Shodokan then.
    There is no rule about taunting others...only INSULTS towards others, and the profanity rule applies to excessive, very obscene, or harsh language DIRECTED at someone else...none of which has been done in this thread.

1 # Insults towards other members, Admins or Moderators, excessive swearing, cursing and foul language is not allowed. Any member seen behaving in an aggressive manner shall face an immediate ban. Members are equal and anyone with a 'god-complex' will not be tolerated.

In case you didn't know we DO a rule about pseudo-modding...

14 # Please do not pseudo mod. We have Moderators on the forums for a reason, it is not your job to correct other members.
    If there are any other rules you have question about please refer to our FULL and official listing of them:

http://www.animeonline.net/faq.php

If you think some isn't abiding by them then please use the report feature

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, for the love of god, use the report feature. When that feature is used, a thread is created in the staff section for Reported Posts and Infractions/Warnings, as well as an email sent out to all the staff (I get so many I set up a Gmail filter to herd them all into their own folder), so staff DO see the report.

The thread contains the following information:

1) The person who Reported it, and a link to the Thread/Post that was reported.

2) A note from the person who reported it explaining why it was reported.

3) The Original Reported Post with the user name of the person who posted it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast