+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Idea for Increased Forum Activity

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Idea for Increased Forum Activity

The problem is, if it's nothing but a single thread with stream of consciousness chat, you will have to have been there from the start to follow the conversation at all; people will be popping in to reply to things said hours ago; one or two users will dominate the conversation; post counts will soar for contributing absolutely nothing; those with slower connections or who idle the screen will chime in on points late or get lost quickly; people will be obnoxious and mods will need to intervene, etc.

There's a reason chats are generally done in real time.

And with incredibly easy programs to install that would enable a real-time chat, it seems kind of idiotic to go through the trouble of a huge spam thread every weekend when a chat would be better on all counts.

Make a channel on irc called #animeonline or make a temporary chat room through any messenger program. Either can be accomplished in about 20 seconds and will result in an easier-to-follow format for all minus the problem of a moderator needing to clean up after everyone constantly.

Why is everyone so allergic to having to download an incredibly basic chat client and schedule a time in which it's to be active?

If you're looking for more ways to screw up the post count/credit system: it's not going to happen. Even if you did get the thread: post count and credits would be disabled. So tell me, what's the point? O-o;

mIRC: Internet Relay Chat client
    How to Create a Chat Room in Microsoft Chat
    Chatzy - Create your own private chat rooms
    Chat: Create your own chat room with ChatCreator

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

..or there are the discussion feature on the profile pages, could be used to 'get to know' one another..

The thread sound like a good idea though, not so positive it would actually work in practice (the chat forum didn't..)

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The problem is, if it's nothing but a single thread with stream of consciousness chat, you will have to have been there from the start to follow the conversation at all; people will be popping in to reply to things said hours ago; one or two users will dominate the conversation; post counts will soar for contributing absolutely nothing; those with slower connections or who idle the screen will chime in on points late or get lost quickly; people will be obnoxious and mods will need to intervene, etc.

There's a reason chats are generally done in real time.

And with incredibly easy programs to install that would enable a real-time chat, it seems kind of idiotic to go through the trouble of a huge spam thread every weekend when a chat would be better on all counts.

Make a channel on irc called #animeonline or make a temporary chat room through any messenger program. Either can be accomplished in about 20 seconds and will result in an easier-to-follow format for all minus the problem of a moderator needing to clean up after everyone constantly.

Why is everyone so allergic to having to download an incredibly basic chat client and schedule a time in which it's to be active?

If you're looking for more ways to screw up the post count/credit system: it's not going to happen. Even if you did get the thread: post count and credits would be disabled. So tell me, what's the point? O-o;

mIRC: Internet Relay Chat client
    How to Create a Chat Room in Microsoft Chat
    Chatzy - Create your own private chat rooms
    Chat: Create your own chat room with ChatCreator

Tsu it isn't that hard and it would work very easily, I mean your talking about a variation of something we once had here and which worked rather well...all in a thread and not IRC.

Basically AO members don't do the IRC thing that well and a thread isn't much different. IRC requires extra work to setup so members can just click and log into it otherwise they have to download a client and that just doens't work for some people, as far as I know you can't limit the time frame people can be in it to just 1 day of the week but I could be wrong about that.

IRC still needs to me moderated for flaming and the likes, only with a thread we can issue infractions easier. With the IRC we "kick" them and then have to come way back over here and issue infractions.

Flamming, advertising and illegal content are the big no-no's and we moderate them but other then that it isn't that hard to keepup with, yes it is fast and sometimes posts can jump by chunks but members can go back and read the pages they missed. Having participated in them I didn't find them hard to deal with.

In terms of setup you create a spam forum, disable post count for it and remove credit increase for it. Then you turn the forum on and off or if an admin doesn't want to do that each time then you password protect it. At midnight on saturday you remove the password (which mods or at least supermods can do I believe) and at midnight on sunday you re-apply the password. Members wouldn't know the password and bam your done. I am up at midnight ever saturday night EST and could handle that easily if another mod could do the close up.

The point of the thread is getting to know people and having a place to unwind/kick back, which I admit worked much easier and much better in that chat forum then it has before or since for a majority of the current members here.

I like the idea of it being once a week so forum activity in the rest of the board doesn't suffer and yet members get a "perk" for once. I mean we did kill that forum off and nuke clans, they have little room on AO to just "scream".

Maybe it is just me but I rather like this idea and would help make it work.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ thanks Hammer~!

honestly, i don't really know much about forum or internet set up stuff ( ^o^ as you can tell), i'm just going on what worked in the past! there was a lot of jumping around in speaking, but in a way, that made it more fun! it was like being in a crowded room! there's lots of different voices, but you're only listening to the people you're with!

but... what does DragonBall think of all this?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

I still think people are just being lazy about downloading a program that requires very little effort and that a forum-based chat would be a pain in the ass to read, let alone follow.

You don't meet people in chat rooms by reading EVERY post by everyone and clicking refresh 6000 times for 12 hours. And I don't think it's fair to require mods to do that. Chat's are enjoyable BECAUSE they are realtime. Forum-based spamfest is just that: a spamfest. I don't want to read it and I don't want to have to enforce it. It sounds worse than passing a kidney stone.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

I would have to agree with Tsurara. IRC is an easy program to set up, even i can do it countless times. Its not that hard really. It would be easier to set up a simple chat room in IRC, that doesn't cost a thing and will also allow us to get to chat and spam AO.

Abu - are you saying it will be like the 5,000 post thread but it will moderatored so that spam posts don't arrise? It might be hard to full keep tabs on a big thread like that, having to keep refreash the page rather than getting it automatically updated as it would on IRC.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ if an IRC chat is better, that's fine! honestly, i just thought a simple thread would be easier to maintain. i mean, things went relatively well in the 5,000 post thread, so i don't see why it can't happen again~! it just seems to me that a thread is more simple and easy then having to log into an IRC account. especially for the new members. they seem to have a hard enough time finding out how to post, or even where to post.

but, in the end, it's all up to DragonBall and what he wants to do! it's his site after all!

Thanks

IRC doesn't even require an account.

all it requires is a point and click download which will auto-execute an install file. You then type in some information we'd give you about the server, choose a username and type "/join roomname".

It's not as hard as you're making it out to be.

You can even access IRC through trillian for heaven's sake (or you could, last I used trillian).

If you can't be bothered to learn a basic chat client, how the heck are you people going to survive university and careers? O_o; Survival of the fittest, my friends.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast