+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Members-only gallery and more thank yous needed

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

Members-only gallery and more thank yous needed

It might not be my place to say this, but...isn't it a bit dumb to open the scans section up to non-members? Sure, you mightentice a few to actually join and contribute to the community, but 95% of them are just going to shrug and continue leeching if nothing is done about this.

Most forums not only make their gallery and scans section (and if they have it, multimedia section) not only members-only, but those members have to post at least 50 or 100 posts in order to gain access to the gallery. Why isn’t that being done here?

Moving onto the second topic.

In the Female Scan section:
    Legend posted "Yuffie 2" on 12/17/2007. 67 views, no comments.
    Tsurara posted “Nagasarete Airantou: Swimming” on 10/14/2007. 357 views, 1 comment.
    Waaay back to the first image ever uploaded in that gallery; Kasai posted “Depth Fantasia: Relulu” on 7/21/2005. 4390 views, 1 comment.

These lovely members go through the pains of scanning, resizing, and then uploading images for everyone to share. It’s tedious, takes time, and requires a lot of generosity. The least we could do is comment with a “Thank You!”…just to show that we’re grateful for their hard work. Isn’t there any way we can show them how much we appreciate their efforts?

Also, if someone takes the scans and decides to make a wallpaper, ava, or sig out of it, and then decides to post it up in the AO gallery, it’d be really nice if those members would credit where and from whom they got the picture from.

e.g. Wow, this wallpaper took me FOREVER! Done on photoshop 7.0, used 923475 layers and did this and that blah blah blah worked so much I didn’t even take a break to pee and blah blah. Hope you guys like it! credit for picture scan: memberABC.

It’s not so hard, is it? But you couldn’t have made that wallpaper without the image, so it seems to me to be the most important part of the “photo details” section.
    関西は最高やねん

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sei-chan For This Useful Post:

cherrygayle (Dec 22, 2007), Dragon Ball (Dec 22, 2007), tsurara (Dec 22, 2007)

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Members-only gallery and more thank yous needed

The gallery team thanks you... for actually giving a crap about the gallery at all :P Much less coming up with all this stuff to improve it.

Seriously guys: the gallery is cool! More ACTUAL members using it would be nice *puppy eyes*

It's been suggested before that perhaps the thumbnails would remain open for all to view but actual downloads would require membership to view (other ideas, 10 dls per day to non-members, credits swapped for gallery downloads). Once upon a time, in old AO we required a comment before the image could be fullviewed (though I didn't much care for it, since it led to poor commenting all around and inaccurate comments... since you had to comment on a tiny thumbnail before you could even see the thing full-sized).

Not sure what the best "solution" is... but maybe trying a few things as an experiement?

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ i think it'd be a good idea for the gallery to be member only!

after all, people post pictures on AO for AO members to see! especially when they post pictures of themselves! plus, it'd be that much more security for the great work that's being posted on AO!

^_^ just a thought though! great suggestion Mr. Sei~!

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with making it members only as well.

The scans in the gallery are always appreciated, by me and by a lot of other members as well, I'm sure. As for thanking people for the scan, to save having a million 'thanks' in a million different scans, I thank them when I post up the work in which I've used the scan and renders. Knowing nothing about scanning, I can't write any constructive comment in that section. Or perhaps the thanks feature on the forums should extend to the gallery as well?

and if that's not enough..I would like to personally thank everyone who has contributed to the gallery this year. Although I would have liked to have contributed a bit more myself, perhaps time will be less harsh on me in the new year!

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

I also like the idea of having the images show only for members. Am on holidays now til the 15th, but after that, I may take a look at your comments.

Thank you.

Lazy Ninja Puyo Champion Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan may be famous one day Sei-chan's Avatar
    Thanks

That's an idea, having a "thanks!" button for scans. That way if someone wants to show their appreciation without having to comment on the picture, they can just press that button. I agree that you can't really comment on scans, seeing as how there's really nothing aesthetic to it and it doesn't take skill, just lots of time and patience O_O.
    関西は最高やねん

+ Reply to Thread