+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 33 to 40 of 51

Thread: More Freedom for Newbies?

  1. #33
    Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    I honestly don't know the old AO system maybe because I'm not old enough of a member but yes this topic was meant to help new users feel more at home.

    THE RULES!

    I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

  2. #34
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I honestly don't know the old AO system maybe because I'm not old enough of a member but yes this topic was meant to help new users feel more at home.
    I see what you are getting at. Though, i strongly doubt it if the AO staff comes out with a new newbie friendly system because it would create more work for the Mods and Admins. Unless, some comes up with a solution to the workload they want to avoid.

  3. #35
    Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Well shoot this site is a community, if you don't work will it get bigger?

    I know people have other things to do but with spare time you never know what can be accomplished till you try ^_^

    THE RULES!

    I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

  4. #36
    You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,293
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 38 Times in 36 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Well shoot this site is a community, if you don't work will it get bigger?
    Well in a sense no, but then again if you spread the word more people might come, join and best of all stay active. The system that is in place seems to be working. Only a few have actually complaint about it.

  5. #37
    Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 84 Times in 68 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Violent
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblackhammer
    Does it really do anything to attract and KEEP members active on the boards?
    Let me ask you a question back, does a site grow from leechers?
    No it doesn't as long as they stay lechers. My entire argument dealt with the fact that lowering the post count limit would do nothing but produce more lechers, heck if it only takes 25 posts and they can access the gallery forever what keeps them from spamming so and being lechers? So I am unsure of your argument towards me.

    Anyway, I can't speak for anyone other than me so I will explain what I remember and how I believe things to be.

    When I first joined this site I was a gallery lecher (due to being slammed by someone the one time I posted on the boards). However I was lucky enough to be here when the site crashed and came back up. This allowed me the opportunity to go back out on the boards as an equal to everyone, no one can really look down on you as a noob when their post count is the same as yours.

    Sure I had a benefit in feeling equal that a noobie these days just does, however I don't feel that we are as daunting a place as it was pre-crash where people had no issues throwing rank or post count in your face and calling you a noob. In fact I can tell you that as a staff member there are people I notice (in a good way) that have less than 100 posts. I know for a fact some of the other staff has as well. Some of those members Tsu has even recognized in an announcement thread praising them for their contributions...that never happened when I was just a normal member.

    Anyway from my current post count you can see I didn't stay a noob, the reasons I posted on this site was simple:

    1) I liked debating and discussions on the subjects I was interested in
    2) I had goals to reach...some in order to get things I wanted (like a special section of the gallery).

    Community Membership, Elite membership and Vet status all made me WANT to post more but at the same time I didn't want to just spam my way there. I wanted respect and acknowledgment from the staff and other members I RESPECTED.

    I never felt like the goals where insurmountable or unfair. If you wiped my post count out and reduced me to just membership status I would still feel this way and I would work my way back up.

    The problem I see today is that no one respects the staff, all we are seen as is a bunch of bullies when we put more into the site then anyone else to make it a clean, fun place to be. They don't respect each other either and they have a I "deserve" mentality. They think just because they exist that they deserve all of the hard work and perks others have put into it all for free with no obligations on their end.

    Maybe I just part of a dying breed but I really don't think that having a trade system where you post, upload and "give" in order get the things you want is unfair, silly or asking too much.

    I mean seriously is 1 post today not worth access to the gallery (hundreds of thousands of free pics), a flash chat area (where you can chat away and meet new people) and an arcade (fun fun)!? Is that really so much to ask? Out of all the areas on the boards, all of the topics you can't find 1 topic to post in?

    I have no problems saying that it just doesn't fly with me that it is unreasonable. To me it basically achieves everything anyone could want. It throws post count out the window and makes everyone equal, we all have to be active members of the community and no one person has more rights than any other. If you give you get, if you don't give your left out until you decide to participate. No lechers, no god-complexes, just activity.

    BTW spam isn't an issue, we will find it or it will be reported at which point it is handled.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chiefblackhammer For This Useful Post:

    Silverskater145 (Apr 19, 2008)

  7. #38
    Legendary Otaku Violent may be famous one day Violent may be famous one day Violent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,748
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Alright I just read your enormous post and I might say jesus its a killer on my eyes since I haven't slept for about 28 hours but here we go.

    What I was saying would be easier for a smaller board but I didn't think about it at the time, heres what I was saying

    " There would be a certain group ( mod / admin ) that monitored its new members for a minimum of 25 quality posts to gain access to the gallery, flash chat, and or arcade. "

    Although I didn't think about it at the time since I was extremely tired still I was thinking of the small picture and not the big then after so I posted

    " Why not have a span of time to see if a new member actually wanted to be part of the site ( 1-2 weeks ) also with a minimum of 100 posts. "

    I just thought it would be easier for a new member to get what they should deserve and not work to hard to get it ( 100 posts ) which isn't much.

    I didn't say spam was the problem rather it will happen soon if you don't prevent against it not everyone wants to be an active member, rather they want too leech is what I was saying.

    Sorry if it sounds like gibberish I'm about to fall asleep typing this message.

    THE RULES!

    I'm on my grind in search to find whats on my mind, its one of a kind!

  8. #39
    Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Right where you think I am
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    I had a bit of an idea. Why not use the system Legend posted but also add a certain number of credits you need to be promoted. (basically if you want to become a community member not only would you need 100 posts, 1 month of activity, but also a certain amount of credits as well) And have it where if the member doesn’t at least post once in a day they lose about 10 credits or maybe if you don't at least post once in a week you lose 100 credits. That way the credit system would have more of a use and it would persuade members to post.
    Last edited by Priestess Angel; Apr 19, 2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something

  9. #40
    Anime Online's Lesbian SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell may be famous one day SasuraiHell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    A very pink realm?....
    Posts
    1,424
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Priestess Angel View Post
    I had a bit of an idea. Why not use the system Legend posted but also add a certain number of credits you need to be promoted. (basically if you want to become a community member not only would you need 100 posts, 1 month of activity, but also a certain amount of credits as well) And have it where if the member doesn’t at least post once in a day they lose about 10 credits or maybe if you don't at least post once in a week you lose 100 credits. That way the credit system would have more of a use and it would persuade members to post.
    you can also argue that adding point limits will just be another confusing restriction to the mix. Seriously, i get enough pm's about "how do i gain [insert whatever]" i can say "read the rules" forever without lashing out >.<

    Though it would encourage larger posts.(you can get a lot from only 2 or 3 big posts) and MOST people hate reading such large beefed posts like Chiefs. ....hell i never read Soldats posts lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newbies every where
    By The GunGrave of Trigun in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 22, 2008, 11:25 PM
  2. BuBu.. Newbies!
    By annamanok in forum Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
  3. Here is a game for newbies
    By kimacademy in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 07, 2007, 03:38 AM
  4. This is to the newbies!
    By NevesElocin in forum Introductions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Nov 26, 2006, 01:59 PM
  5. G1 Newbies
    By teamautobot1 in forum Transformers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Nov 06, 2006, 01:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts