+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: More Freedom for Newbies?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: More Freedom for Newbies?

The "system" I suggested was just a suggestion, and of course it can be changed around to make it work. One thing is for sure, that the system do need some changes. In many ways this change is not only for the new members, but as Tsurara once said that there are many gfx artists out there that contribute stuff to our gallery but does not get promoted. Adding credits to the mix, making people post once a day, decreasing ppl's credit will only add to the headache for the staff. And I don't think there's such a feature for forums to do that.

To address Chief's concern, we have two possible solutions. One is to take a page out of the site Nekio. Regardless of your membership level, you are only allowed to download certain amount of pictures per day. They achieved it by counting the times you enlarge a picture, and stopping you for 24 hours once you reach that limit. Not only is this way feasible it already exists so I don't think it would be hard for the admins to somehow implement that "add-on".

Another way is to put the credits to use. Member level users can still view and download pictures from the gallery. Until they reach community or higher, every pic would cost them 500 credits (which is around 5 regular posts). I believe someone mentioned that this was what AnimePaper and MiniTokyo do.

Honestly though, I love this site an all, but most of the stuff we offer can be found somewhere else. Our two aces in the rotation are basically the gallery + the contributors, and the flash chat. The arcade you can probably get on coffeebreak, and our discussions are hardly numero uno.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SasuraiHell View Post
    you can also argue that adding point limits will just be another confusing restriction to the mix. Seriously, i get enough pm's about "how do i gain [insert whatever]" i can say "read the rules" forever without lashing out >.<

Though it would encourage larger posts.(you can get a lot from only 2 or 3 big posts) and MOST people hate reading such large beefed posts like Chiefs. ....hell i never read Soldats posts lol

Yes, that’s true. I feel sorry for you guys because I know how annoying that must be. I mean is it that hard to read the FAQs???

The main thing is that the system that I stated earlier would promote activity in my opinion and as you said would promote larger and hopefully high quality posts. It would also give the credit system more of a use because at the moment they don’t really do anything except add to your reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    The "system" I suggested was just a suggestion, and of course it can be changed around to make it work. One thing is for sure, that the system do need some changes. In many ways this change is not only for the new members, but as Tsurara once said that there are many gfx artists out there that contribute stuff to our gallery but does not get promoted. Adding credits to the mix, making people post once a day, decreasing ppl's credit will only add to the headache for the staff. And I don't think there's such a feature for forums to do that.

To address Chief's concern, we have two possible solutions. One is to take a page out of the site Nekio. Regardless of your membership level, you are only allowed to download certain amount of pictures per day. They achieved it by counting the times you enlarge a picture, and stopping you for 24 hours once you reach that limit. Not only is this way feasible it already exists so I don't think it would be hard for the admins to somehow implement that "add-on".

Another way is to put the credits to use. Member level users can still view and download pictures from the gallery. Until they reach community or higher, every pic would cost them 500 credits (which is around 5 regular posts). I believe someone mentioned that this was what AnimePaper and MiniTokyo do.

Honestly though, I love this site an all, but most of the stuff we offer can be found somewhere else. Our two aces in the rotation are basically the gallery + the contributors, and the flash chat. The arcade you can probably get on coffeebreak, and our discussions are hardly numero uno.

Well, a lot of the reason I wanted to add credits to the mix was that I thought it would promote more activity. I believe that if we did something like make it where a member should aquire at least 1500 credits (too low??) and make it where a member should post at least once a week or they will lose 100 credits. Now that I look back on my suggestion on posting at least once a day or lose 10 credits that might not work out when our discussions are just not as active as they used to be. (At this moment in time, I think there has only been about 2 new threads made today that I know of excluding poems and introductions)

Of course that leads to more of a work load for the staff. If worse comes to worse you could assign a moderator(s) to do that specific job. But of course I have never been a moderator so I can only understand just how much you guys have to do by trying to put myself in your shoes.
    Last edited by Priestess Angel; Apr 19, 2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Wanted to clarify something.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

The once a day post is easy, you can write a php function to handle checking if the person has posted in the last 24 hours and put that on the pages that you want restricted such as the gallery, flash chat or arcade pages...that means 0 &#37; work for the staff in that regards and it opens all of the forum to anyone willing to participate. Likewise I didn't just limit it to posting, if someone adds content to the site such as uploading a wallpaper then that should count as well.

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblackhammer View Post
    Anyway, I can't speak for anyone other than me so I will explain what I remember and how I believe things to be.

When I first joined this site I was a gallery lecher (due to being slammed by someone the one time I posted on the boards). However I was lucky enough to be here when the site crashed and came back up. This allowed me the opportunity to go back out on the boards as an equal to everyone, no one can really look down on you as a noob when their post count is the same as yours.

Sure I had a benefit in feeling equal that a noobie these days just does, however I don't feel that we are as daunting a place as it was pre-crash where people had no issues throwing rank or post count in your face and calling you a noob. In fact I can tell you that as a staff member there are people I notice (in a good way) that have less than 100 posts. I know for a fact some of the other staff has as well. Some of those members Tsu has even recognized in an announcement thread praising them for their contributions...that never happened when I was just a normal member.

Anyway from my current post count you can see I didn't stay a noob, the reasons I posted on this site was simple:

1) I liked debating and discussions on the subjects I was interested in
    2) I had goals to reach...some in order to get things I wanted (like a special section of the gallery).

Community Membership, Elite membership and Vet status all made me WANT to post more but at the same time I didn't want to just spam my way there. I wanted respect and acknowledgment from the staff and other members I RESPECTED.

I never felt like the goals where insurmountable or unfair. If you wiped my post count out and reduced me to just membership status I would still feel this way and I would work my way back up.

The problem I see today is that no one respects the staff, all we are seen as is a bunch of bullies when we put more into the site then anyone else to make it a clean, fun place to be. They don't respect each other either and they have a I "deserve" mentality. They think just because they exist that they deserve all of the hard work and perks others have put into it all for free with no obligations on their end.

Maybe I just part of a dying breed but I really don't think that having a trade system where you post, upload and "give" in order get the things you want is unfair, silly or asking too much.
    Great post. You said so much, I'm not even sure what to say myself. But you hit the nail on the head.

Back in the day the site had an elitist feel to it. It worked beautifully. I remember I used to be so picky whenever I would lurk the Debate thread. I knew if I posted and said something stupid, I would be slammed for it, thanks to Tychoides and his Iron Fistâ„¢. Back in those days, it didn't matter so much how many posts you had, though, as Chief said, it served as an example of your time spent and it was, in a way, your rank.

What really mattered though was what you posted. Like Chief said, what anyone really treasured was to be respected. The posts were a close second. It meant a lot to have 500 posts and so on, but all I ever wanted was to be recognized. The last AO before the crash had such a tremendously close community. It was harsh on noobs and people who didn't respect that community. It was, essentially, elitist. But it encouraged, if not, forced people who really cared to shape themselves up. You knew that when you posted you had to post intelligently, or else not post at all. And hell, I'm not really sure when or how it happened for me, but when I slithered my way into conversation and the community, I was golden. My journal (as well as others' journals like Raven's, Trunks, etc...) back in the day was one of the more popular ones. The old journal system is one of the things I miss most since the crash. Trunks would be able to explain more.

Now, despite the fact that those days were epic. It doesn't mean that should be our system of today. New times new members new ways of going about things. I do think, though, the point me and Chief are trying to make is just this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    The problem I see today is that no one respects the staff, all we are seen as is a bunch of bullies when we put more into the site then anyone else to make it a clean, fun place to be. They don't respect each other either and they have a I "deserve" mentality. They think just because they exist that they deserve all of the hard work and perks others have put into it all for free with no obligations on their end.

Maybe I just part of a dying breed but I really don't think that having a trade system where you post, upload and "give" in order get the things you want is unfair, silly or asking too much.

Banned CTD High Jump Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Kill Time in Your Office Champion, Slow Motion Champion, Moodys Magical Eye Champion, The Fridge Champion, Dangerous Fishing Champion, Panda Golf 2: Christmas Edition Champion, Driving Mad Champion, Head to Head Champion, Super Headers Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Air Dodge Champion, Chopper Chase Champion, F/A-18 Hornet Champion, Snow Boarding Champion, Spaceman Bob`s Great Escape Champion, Space Cowboy Champion, Rons Free Fall Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Black Dragon Champion, Samegame and Champion, Mayan Mask Champion, 42 Games Champion, Cubedelic Champion, Smaugs Schatkist Champion, Python Champion, Thor Towers Champion Mini Dev is off to a good start
    Thanks

It's a perfect idea however i agreed with teh arcade selection but then i though, hey people would just join for the arcade like they did last time but thats completely up to the admins for what they change, but ... 50 posts sounds perfectly reasonable. So yeah thanks for this.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

I kind of agree of making 50 posts the post count needed for a newbie to become a community member ... because 100 post for a new comer is hard to be done for someone who isn't strongly willed to stay here just yet ... so that's what i think ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post
    I kind of agree of making 50 posts the post count needed for a newbie to become a community member ... because 100 post for a new comer is hard to be done for someone who isn't strongly willed to stay here just yet ... so that's what i think ...
    What? Your saying 3-ish posts a day is too hard to do for 1 month in order to reach community status? And if they don't have the will to stay here as an active poster why make it easy for them to turn into a gallery/arcade leech?

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblackhammer View Post
    What? Your saying 3-ish posts a day is too hard to do for 1 month in order to reach community status? And if they don't have the will to stay here as an active poster why make it easy for them to turn into a gallery/arcade leech?
    It depends on the what kind of topics are out there and what are you intrested in. Hell even I am having issues trying to get to 500 posts. Granted there are alot of topics out there but once I post say in the debate section after a while I start to get bored in the topic or the debates get boring because people are posting the same info/opinion over and over again..And to do it within a month or to wait for a month just so your member title to change is a little insane...

I think that Legend's system can actually work if we give it a try. A lot of the other forums use the same system that Legend did suggest. And it could possibly keep new and or old members to stay in the long run..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Descended From Darkness For This Useful Post:

Zerosan9000 (Apr 23, 2008)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast