Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Name changes

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Name changes

I have this on the drawing board, and also your sig size limit for LOYAL members only. The biggest prob with name changes is that somehow it doesn't update your name in the gallery. So all your work in the gallery would remain as your old username. I will have to look at a way to get that fixed first.

Both the name change and sig size are on the list and I haven't forgotten it. Just a bit swamped at the moment. Sorry.

I believe in you Indiana Jones In Odd-World Champion, Forest_Brat Champion, Jungle Dave Champion, Beer Dude 2 Champion, Fly Girl Champion Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho may be famous one day Pyro Psycho's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    I have this on the drawing board, and also your sig size limit for LOYAL members only.
    Elite members too? *squee* =D
    I thought after you reach 500 posts you could get a name change...but after each 500 posts.....

DeviantArt ll Livejournal ll Rainbow Flakes ll Gallery
    Feeling the beat of my heart ♥

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

There are 2 aspects to this, the front end and the back end. From the front end, complete username changes can confuse members who knew you by the other name. If you have been a user a long time it can be hard for the other members to adjust to that.

It could also allow members to “start” over in the sense that given they are no longer recognized by their old name they won’t have the harassment of people that didn’t like them. Of course this could be used in the same way if you wanted to harass someone it could be made easier if you changed your name. HOWEVER in that case the harassed member could notify a mod and we would crush them . Over all I see a greater benefit in allowing people the opportunity to change their username as we allow only 1 username per person here on AO.

From the back end, since I write complex queries all day, I will speak to the difficulty of this, there is none. If a database is set up properly (since AO uses a DB structure from Vbulletin it isn't the staff's fault if it isn't this way) then there would be 1 table with a person's username which would NOT be the primary key and all other tables would reference that persons unique "ID" which would be a number and not their username. Thus when you did the update you are changing 1 field and the corresponding tables never have to be touched as they store the unique ID.

If the normal tables for the forum are setup this way then I assume the gallery is a hack script and stores the username. Either way it is just a matter of finding each table where the username exists out side of an "ID" and writing and update table command to change the username.

If I had access to the DB then I would find all table instances of a person's username and write the script, that is the hard part...but even so still not difficult...maybe a tad bit time consuming. But once the script is written you would only need to change the person's current username and then the desired one and run it. It would take seconds to run each time there afterwards and really would not reek any havoc on the DB. I would suggest limiting the number of times a person can request a change and even then only doing changes once a week during low activity. The person will have to be logged off of AO to do the change as well.

Sample of a oracle based script:
    --this query is to check to make sure the new username is not already in use.
    Select [Column_Name] -- column name is the column where the username is stored
    From [Table_Name] --this is the table name(s) where the username is stored
    Where trim([Column_Name]) = 'New_User_Name' –- the new username is defined as the criteria
    ;

--this query is used to update the username.
    Update [Table_Name] --this is the table name(s) where the username is stored
    Set [Column_Name] = 'New_User_Name' -- column name is the column where the username is stored, the new username is set here
    Where trim([Column_Name]) = 'Old_User_Name' -- column name is the column where the username is stored, the old username is defined as the criteria
    ;

If there is an issue with Dragon Ball having the time and thus is needing someone responsible enough to do this then I will happily volunteer given my level of experience with databases. However that is up to DB

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

From past experience with someone changing their name it caused too much confusion for them to keep changing their name. So if we had a new name for all the members with 1000 + posts then it would pointless and no one would know your loyalty by recognizing your user name. Like Gren said, in her posts, It would be too complex and a new system that would only suite certain members.

I may not use my user name that much anymore but its the name I chose so that people could tell who I was from the name that is displayed. If one keep changing their name then no one would know someone as well as one would hope because they won't recognize the name. Anime online is a large forum and if half of the members decided to change their user name, it would damage the sense of community that Anime online is.
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Jul 26, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Dancy_Saz on this. Changing Username would actually work against you then for you. You would loose any reputation you had earned. Let me put it this way: Its like moving to a place where no one knows you, it'll be starting fresh, which would lead to confusion.

I also agree with Chief on the technical side of things, if the database is set up correctly, where each user has a unique ID number, then a Username is merely cosmetic. A good example of this is the Chat site Outpost10F (Linked in my Sig). Every member there has an ID number, and they have a Registered screen name, which is easy change, but this brings me right back to Dancy_SAZ's point: You change that registered screen name, you could confuse people, and since Outpost10F has a clearance level promotion structure, the people responsible for recommending promotions wouldn't know who you are, and you won't get the promo you might be deserving of.

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

I have found a way to ensure username changes flow on into the gallery. So if one changes their username, it will then be updated correctly in the gallery for all your images too. Good news!

As I test I have decided to allow ONLY 2 members to have their username changed. Please, no members ask me for username changes, as this is a test only.

The users selected are:

Naruto1988 --> Xelhes
    Pyoro-Pyoro --> Legend

Both these members will place into their user titles "aka old username" for about a month so members can get used to the idea.

Thank you.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Questions pretty much answered by DB, Closing.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2