Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Plagiarized poems.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Plagiarized poems.

Plagiarizing poems is not the most terrible act, but it is to the person who the work was taken from & didn't get any recognition...

If a person keeps on doing it & showing no remorse or giving credit where it is due, then they should be able to take the consequences that is giving... You can't just take & not expect to be given repercusssion...

Rules are here for one to abide to them & I believe that the mods showed very leniency towards the person I think you are defending... It is just that the particular person kept on acting like a pirate... It wasn't like it was a Robin Hood story stealing from the rich & giving to the poor... It was something that person was taking credit for & just being complimented on for someones else work... Simple as that...

But I for one can see just banning for some months & letting them come back & trying to redeem themselves, but the mods probably don't want to have to go through the trouble to make sure that everything that person produce is quality work of him/herselfs' own work...

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Lord Katsuhito, Is also known as Sinistra.

And way to use my quote Tsu

Like Tsurara, I have an unbridled loathing of people who plagiarize.

When I discover plagiarism, the whole "100 posts gets a warning" thing gets ignored and they get a infraction for each and every instance for it, and then I do my best to make sure that there isn't anywhere else on the net where they are plagiarizing.

For instance, Just recently, a member posted several pieces of someone elses art work, I Infracted them for each of the pieces, then went to every art site they were affiliated, and 2 out of the 3 other sites they had posted it, and they are banned from both of them, one of them being DeviantART where they were 2 months into a 1 year subscription, and you don't get a refund if you get banned

Angelic Lasura may be famous one day Lasura's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it really that hard to give credit? It is just wrong to take someone else work!!!!! And I think that, if it has been done intentionally (sometimes people just forget to give credit) and meny times, he/she has earned to be banned. No one like evil, greedy people!!!!!!!

I would feel terrible if I'd know someone's stealing my work (highly unlikable though), so I'm glad to know that there is at least some chance that a mod will check out if the work really belongs to the person who posted it...

My recommended fanfic: "Dreamer" by Scourge

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Even giving credit, you still need permission to use it in the real world, so even that would be considered a violation of copyright law.

If i had it my way, even posting someone elses work with credit wouldn't be allowed.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

There's a really easy way to keep yourself from plagiarizing:

IF YOU DIDN'T WRITE IT, DON'T POST IT.

Simple as that.

The poetry section is intended for members to showcase their own, original works for feedback, critique and discussion. So there's never a need to post a poem that isn't yours. If you have a friend who wants to show off a poem, tell them to get an AO account and post it themselves.

As far as "unintentional plagiarism"...that really doesn't make sense. If you know the work belongs to someone else, and post it without credit AND permission, you already know you're plagiarizing. Let's say you just "forgot" to give credit to the author--after three or four replies of "You did a really great job on this poem", wouldn't you realize that you were representing the work as your own and make sure you let others know that it isn't? Sorry, I have a really hard time believing that any instance of plagiarism is accidental, especially when it's done more than once.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

From your first post I'm starting to feel like perhaps one of your friends was banned for plagiarizing and you are upset about it. Which would make this very personal for you. Am I close to the truth?

Basically, we ban people who plagiarize because it's so hard to dish out corporal punishment over the internet.

I believe people should be banned for plagiarizing, if it was done once it would only be a temporary ban. If it was done more than once a permanent ban is perfectly justified in my opinion.

Otaku fma1012 may be famous one day fma1012 may be famous one day fma1012's Avatar
    Thanks

Meh, the rules are pretty fair if you think about it.

There are people who really dont care if you copy all their poems,

but then theres those people who would get pissed off if you copy a couple of sentences.

Bottom line is dont copy or at least give some credits.

teachers make a big deal out of this for a reason.

Thanks lifeforce! (:

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The poetry section, the fanart section etc are made for you to post YOUR OWN WORK.

Don't post anyone else's. Credit or not.

If you so desperately want another person's work here, ask that person to make an account and post it themselves.

Credit does not exempt you from theft in the event that you do not have permission.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast