+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the Members

:Yuki fan: Spider Jump Champion Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage is making a name for themselves Shinku no kage's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Questions for the Members

1. Why aren't most of you posting?
    -I do on occasions, when I find threads that catch my interest. Also to add I rarely make threads anymore myself either as since none of my past threads never really kicked off and also that when a topic I feel like creating a thread for comes up there is already a thread on it.

2. Why aren't any of you participating in contests?
    -I do...mostly

3. Why aren't any of you commenting in the gallery?
    -Again, I do. Especially since when you started the comment drive.
    4. Do you like the poetry section?
    -No interest in poetry myself. Sorry.

5. Do you like the RPG section?
    -Oddly I NEVER looked into it yet. (@_@)

6. Do you like the new credits system?
    -Sure, hope that we'll have more use out of it in the future.

7. Is there anything you HATE about AO? So much that it inhibits your ability to participate in the community?
    -Mmmmm...not really, nor I think is worth mentioning. Hell, AO is still my #1 frequented forum.

8. Is there anything you'd love to see and would inspire you to participate more?[/QUOTE]
    -Hmmmmm, not at the moment I guess.
    ->:Be descriptive in your posts or its like you didnt post at all:<-

|The "RULES" of AO|My AO Gallery|YouTube|AnimeSuki|

Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Thanks

I love posting, so I'll skip this.

I've just started to participate. Maybe it's because many people don't have the ability (computer wise) to do work of the caliber most of your repeat participants have. Maybe you could figure out a way to pull them in with contests geared towards them. I don't have anything special, I mostly use my paint, but I try anyway.

I actually just found the gallery, I have posted a bit. I need to take the time and figure out how to post things there. It is kind of overwhelming though, maybe many members feel that.

I like the poetry section, and I do enjoy reading many of them. However, one thing that does kinda bug me, is when I go to the new post page, and I'm looking for post, it seems like it's almost all poems. Even I do not want to read that many poems. Couldn't there be a way to separate the new post that are poems from the rest? Perhaps the new post poems could be at the bottom of the page. Then a person wouldn't feel like they have to wade through them.

Honestly I have not had time to find out. I spend much of my time making things for others on my computer, and what time I have left, I just want to post. I had several new members asking me why they can't get in it. Since I have not even tried, I do not know. That could be part of the problem. People are having trouble getting in.

Yeah, I like the credits system. It's like recognition for what you're doing anyway. It's like a silent pat on the back. Eventually I would like to buy colors or something. I'm not sure yet.

7. Is there anything you HATE about AO? So much that it inhibits your ability to participate in the community?

8. Is there anything you'd love to see and would inspire you to participate more?

I'll have to think on that tonight. I'll get back to you after work tomorrow. I have a couple of ideas, but I'd like to flesh them out a bit.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

I like this topic as my desire is to see AO grow and thus I will be speaking as a long time member, putting aside my staff position. Overall it is just my opinions.

I find it hard to post sometimes due to my busy schedule and things I am working on, when you have only a few hours a day of "free time" and many interests which mostly are non-AO related then it becomes difficult. I still try to post several times a day on top of mod duties. However I would like to be able to contribute more "quality" to the site in this area. It is also sad to hear people saying there aren't quality threads but not doing anything to make them. Even a "bad" topic can be made into a good one if the right poster gets in there and salvages it.

I do participate in as many as I can, either as a "host", prize contributor or actual contestant. I fear based on some responses that most aren't aware of some of the contests we have. Maybe we can have an announcement banner at the top of the page for the "main" contests. Much like the one that tells you to read the rules in the gallery. ALSO WE HAVE LOADS OF NON-GFX BASED CONTESTS! Look for them

This is a weak area for me given my time issues and browsing the gallery isn't big on my list of to-do's. I am trying to do this more and give people more than, "I love it" or "It Sucks" while at it.

I love to write poetry so this is a sore thumb area for me, most people spew out loads of "crap" poetry and aren't using the area as a place to grow their abilities. I mean, great your in love or your kid is the best or your just emo and want to cut yourself. That is a majority of the section and the poems that are "great" are few and far in between and quickly over shadowed. Then there are the comments...can no one critique a poem? No one needs a "It's great" it is fine to say so but expand on it...tell them what was great about it.

Yes, it is a great avenue for those who like to write, RPG and show their creativity. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actively participate and it doesn't seem many others are interested in it.

Awesome idea and I can't wait to see it expanded....soon.

The lack of community, I don't feel we are a community anymore. I don't see people trying to be friends or make the site grow, it is more this person has a "god-complex" this person is an "arse" that person doesn't care about you and wants nothing to do with you, this person thinks they have arrived, etc... There is no overwhelming respect for staff or even other members, when I was a noob or even a higher level member I wouldn't talk to others the way some do now and at the same time I felt people would respect your opinion even if they disagreed. Now it just seems people write you off as stupid or ignorant.

8. Is there anything you'd love to see and would inspire you to participate more?
    More people caring about the site and making it grow, forget how things "use" to be and realize it is what you make it. AO is a great place to be...make it that way and others will follow. Drive change through example. If you want more of something, provide us with the stuff to do it. Example, you want more GFX stuff...bring more GFX people here, produce more GFX content show us a reason to have the things you want.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

mainly because I'm busy, but when I'm on hols I try to be posting. I guess I post in 'bursts'.But I do have to disagree with 'there are no good threads to post in' because as aceman so wonderfully put it

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Well now, I got one solution that should solve that for you: Start your own threads on things you like. You won't see subjects about the topics you enjoy unless you get the ball rolling.

again the busy factor, but I do every now and then (includes SOTW, WOTF, some battles etc)

Again I probably do the burst thing and comment. But it does annoy me when people post crappy things like "OMG IT'S SO CUTE" I'm going to report the next one I see..sorry for my harshness

I'm not poetic, so doesn't apply to me.

Not really..it doesn't really seem to be working here, as much as I know people are putting in to get it to work, but it's obviously not working on this forum..

Yes and no. No because I don't see the point of it ( I don't post or participate in things just to get points I don't even use) but yes because I guess it motivates other people to participate, so it is a good thing.

8. Is there anything you'd love to see and would inspire you to participate more

For these ones, I agree with what Chief said:

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post

The lack of community, I don't feel we are a community anymore. I don't see people trying to be friends or make the site grow, it is more this person has a "god-complex" this person is an "arse" that person doesn't care about you and wants nothing to do with you, this person thinks they have arrived, etc... There is no overwhelming respect for staff or even other members, when I was a noob or even a higher level member I wouldn't talk to others the way some do now and at the same time I felt people would respect your opinion even if they disagreed. Now it just seems people write you off as stupid or ignorant.

More people caring about the site and making it grow, forget how things "use" to be and realize it is what you make it. AO is a great place to be...make it that way and others will follow. Drive change through example. If you want more of something, provide us with the stuff to do it. Example, you want more GFX stuff...bring more GFX people here, produce more GFX content show us a reason to have the things you want.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    These may seem like silly questions to ask, but they are very relevant at this particular moment in time. For a few months now, some of the mods have been making a HUGE effort to up traffic and participation on this site... but very few of the members are playing along. You tell us what we're doing wrong--

I do post, just that some of us have really busy schedules, jobs, senior years, or probably just the skin of AO. It's like, having a rainy day and you've had a bad day, you go to the site and roam around, and all you see is grey. Not that I hate it! And also, there is noting interesting to post about, really. Even if we start our own threads, only some of the members post quality posts, regardless of the number of sentences written. Most of the time, the members won't bother to READ the previous posts before posting their ideas, which really "turns" me off. I HATE REPEATING THE SAME FREAKING IDEA AGAIN AND AGAIN!
    You spend so much time researching, evaluating, thinking, writing and so on ... just to find that some meber posts: -
    "No, I believe ____________________________________ so ... yeah"
    "Holy crap! I agree! What's up with the __________________________?"
    I hope you get the drift. Sometimes, we also get lazy, or get a bit annoyed when some member starts an argument for an irrational reason, or the Mods get the wrong idea and give infractions. Dx WeeEEeeEEeEEEEe!

Some of us, are, some of us aren't. The thing is, the people who are new to graphic designing, poetry etc, they don't get much chances, or, some of us are too good, so that's probably the reason they might give up.

If there is something worthwhile, other than a plagiarized image, or a continuous spree of posting your pictures, the same boring [ideas] stuff shown, other than that, I gladly do.

Like Hassun once said: -

There is poetry here on AO?
    I mean, ask for tips and write something worthwhile, and express your feelings from the heart, not what just comes to your mind! It's great you're in love, I don't mind reading those poems, but the poems like, for example "Hell", "Hatred", "Pain" etc ... do something better, please.
    It doesn't matter what made you write that ... we just don't want to see a poem done in 10 minutes. Even if it is, and if it's intriguing and really deserves an applause, then .

Too long, and boring. Nothing interesting.

Nope, it doesn't make a difference. Only the posters which have 50&#37; or more spam in their posts ... get even more obliged to post. Just like
    "Ooooo o.o I agree ... so scary *shivers* thanks for the comment!"
    "Lol ^^ *hug him/her tight* Very well done, dear! Keep it up!"
    " ... That really touched my heart ________________________________"

All the crap, and to make their posts seem long, they just press the enter key a lot! Like a space between every sentence! Even if the post seems long, it's CRAP!
    And, if it wasn't for the credit system, most of us wouldn't bother to post, ne?

Will I get banned if I told you?

Not at the moment, however, I would like the hosts of the contests to start contests for the people who are new to a particular field, in order to give them some confidence.

EDIT!~
    Note this; If you have nothing better to post, restrain yourself from giving unecessary pity, comment, useless shit, advice when it's not needed, or say that "If that's so, you have no pity from me". Didn't ask for it, don't give it or anything which is not related to the topic ... kay???!?!

EDIT 2!~
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post

Last edited by Rave_Grip; Nov 09, 2007 at 01:22 AM.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

#1: I do post but some days there are just to little interesting topics for me to post in.

#2: I do not have the skills needed to enter in the contests.

#3: Well I have been looking at some of the pictures and commented on one of two, I just don't get into the gallery often.

#4: yes I do like the poetry section of the forum, it lets us express ourselves to you guys and gals.

#5: Which rpg section are you talking about? the one in the top bar or the one in the forum area? I enjoy role playing games quite a lot, but there are just not enough people who are interested, due to the lack of imagination. as for the other rpg, in the top bar, never looked into it as such.

#6: yes I do like the new credit system, and I have stated that to DB.
    but there are so many uses for the credit system that have yet to be utilized.

#7: people who text type... I hate having to decipher what people are trying to say, because I am old school. everything was always written correctly.

#8: I honestly cannot think about anything that would get me to participate more.

Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    I try to post as much as i can ... cyber lounge not much of new subjects .. anime general forum filled with threads of particular animes which i didn't watch ... anime-sub-forum is filled with my answers in the animes sections that i've watched ... but yeah IT'S DEAD here all the last week ... i barely see 4-5 threads subscribed threads notification every time i come online which wasn't like that when i joined up this site ... plus most people spend all their time chatting with other members instead of posting ....

because i don't have particular skills to allow me do that at least for now ...
    because i don't go there ....
    i barely put one poem in and disappeared behind because there's a lot of people who make poems but very little people to see ....
    i have yet time to know ,since i put my first character in my first RPG(A Dragon's Tale by Overload) only yesterday ....
    i don't have any particular needs for it ... i can't use it in anyway (in my case) ...
    DEFINITELY NO ... i come here everyday and there's times that i come more than once in one day ....
    8. Is there anything you'd love to see and would inspire you to participate more
    I would love to see people register here to become "real" member instead of just increasing the number of AO's members .... that's the most needed solution yet the most impossible to make ....
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Rawr~ :3 Boxteroid Champion, flyplane Champion, Home Run Champion, Bubbelfutsch Champion, Fire Fighter Champion, Brendans Soccer Champion, Movie Star Match-Up Champion, Total blackout Champion, Text Your Reflexes Champion, Scary movie Champion, Hulk Smash Up Champion, Star Wars Champion, Extreme Snowboarding Champion, Air Disc Champion, Action Fish Champion, A Game Of 3 Halves Champion, Battleball Champion, Hacky Sack Champion, FAD 2003 Champion, SQRL Golf Champion, Dr Yeckyl and Mr Ride Champion, Sky Glide Champion, Flyer Champion, Finnair Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, City Surfing Champion, Action Driving Game Champion, Extreme Rowing Champion, Kardahdg Champion, Acceleracers Track Mod Champion, Final Test Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Pedal Power Champion, Camera Killer 2 Champion, Bike Mania on ICE Champion, ATV Winter Challenge Champion, Caliber Dash Champion, Diesel and Death Champion, Snow Ride Champion, Camera Killer Champion, Pepsi Jet Ski Champion, Bumper Cars Championship Champion, Drifting Champion, Get A Grip Champion, Rooney on the Rampage Champion, Death To Ninja Champion, Kung Fu Hustle 2 Champion, Muay Thai Champion, Metal Arm FAWEGE Champion, Knife Champion, Classroom Fighter Champion, Nobuyuki Forces 3 Champion, Caddeva Champion, Sewer Dweller Champion, Angel Mart Champion, Snowy Champion, Bola Champion, Boiler Room Champion, Bobcat Champion, Amazon Quest Champion, Booty Champion, Five Errors Champion, Mind Your Marbles Champion, Angel Fruit Champion, Binggrae Champion, Candy Shoot Champion, Imperial tiles Champion, Himalayaya - Yeti Strikes Back Champion, Terrorist Attack Champion, Americas Army Champion, Special Operations Champion, Destroy the robots Champion, Cubicle Warfare Champion, Battle Field Champion, Weapons Dealer Champion, Army Copter Champion, Flat War Champion, Terrorist Alert Champion, Bully Basher Champion, Reaktor Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, The Contraptor Champion, Boris Champion, Carling Cold Champion, Paddleball Champion RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe's Avatar
    Not somewhere I love but I am glad I have a home so far
    Thanks

Hmm....

1. You could see me posting around like crazy.. so it dont have anything to do with me xD

2. Hmmm...i participated in the poetry contests... i dont know about other contests.. @.@ i dont really understand much about others...and im not a graphic guy as well

3. Hmm..i comment sometimes in the gallery..

4. I love the poetry section xD it's where i get 45% - 60% of my post counts.. xD and i love reading poetry..i want to improve more on my english and learn the way to play more with words and all..rhyming... and i write some poems too ^^

5. Hmm...RPG section is not for me.. first of all...i dont like RPG's much.. i play them on PS2 though.. and i dont understand how to play it and it dont seem that interesting to me ^^

6. Yea...i like it ^^ and im still waiting for the vplaza and all the benefits from credits too "emerge"

-Hmm.. the slowness in AO sometimes? not many people post...how can i post? xD

-and this ^ i agree with you there man.. :/

8. I dont know... @.@ *bangs head to the wall*

Legion Ketsueki Lives on~!!
    I'm BACK AO!
    >>>facebook<<<

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast