Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rule issue.

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Rule issue.

I know there is a rule that threads are not to be revived after a period of two weeks of being idle, and recently I have seen a demonstration of a "no repeats" rule. To me these two rules in effect at the same time do not make sense. There are new members joining this site almost weekly who have yet to get their opinions in on certain topics, so of course there are going to be repetative threads because they aren't going to search through a hundred pages of thread history to check if the topic has been discussed before, and even if they managed to find the thread and post in it it would be locked becuase of the two week rule. So just becuase the topic being discussed isn't new to someone doesn't mean it's not new to someone else or a group of other people. So my suggestion is to get rid of one of these rules, preferrably the no repeats rule, so new posters will be able to get their opinions in. Also having a no repeats rule eventually acts to kill off a forum, becuase once a vast amount of subjects have been covered and there is a rule that restricts people to repeat old topics or post in old topics the rules will eventually lead to no new threads being created at all .

I can see the reasoning in locking a thread that's about what your listening to when there is already a sticky for it. However I don't see the reasoning in locking a repetative thread on suicide when there is already one but the new person is restricted from posting in it added the fact there are new people who also haven't talked about that particular topic.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Jun 01, 2006 at 04:56 PM.
    Death is your most loyal companion, for he will never fail you.

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Rule issue.

damn Exo! you beat me to it! But seriously. Can we get a mod to look into it. sometimes a mods job isn't fun. But he's right. Like killing the suicide thing. Obviously there were many ppl posting. why kill it?

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Revived idle threads that are more than 2 weeks old are closed as we speak, but I believe that if a thread is revived by a certain someone, and if that same thread continues to get more posts (^_^);, it might not necessarily be locked. However, if that thread gets just one new post, and not many others later, it will be closed.

~!!! Also, if there was a dead topic that cannot be revived, one can always start a thread similar to it. For example, I made a thread on suicide long time ago, which received more than 200 posties, but since it is very old, it cannot be revived, but then again (..^_^..), a new thread was made on the same topic in the debate/discuss section. ^_^

Sophist of Satire Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia may be famous one day Exoparadapsyphobia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kedar
    Revived idle threads that are more than 2 weeks old are closed as we speak, but I believe that if a thread is revived by a certain someone, and if that same thread continues to get more posts (^_^);, it might not necessarily be locked. However, if that thread gets just one new post, and not many others later, it will be closed.

~!!! Also, if there was a dead topic that cannot be revived, one can always start a thread similar to it. For example, I made a thread on suicide long time ago, which received more than 200 posties, but since it is very old, it cannot be revived, but then again (..^_^..), a new thread was made on the same topic in the debate/discuss section. ^_^
    Yes, that is mainly to what my argument pertains to. The thread was getting a decent amount of posts and yet it was locked, I find the action unessecary since it was obviously active, and I am sure some people feel the same.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

No, i would close that too. WHy talk about something that has already been talked about. We close simular threads here too.

Otaku zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix may be famous one day zeroenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    No, i would close that too. WHy talk about something that has already been talked about. We close simular threads here too.
    because with members who are new it wasn't talked about to them. Try to accomidate your new members. That's what keeps you going

+=My Space=+ Thanks zeroenix for the sig and avi... wait that's me. +=zeroenix.net=+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kastelic4444
    Having a no repeats rule eventually acts to kill off a forum, becuase once a vast amount of subjects have been covered and there is a rule that restricts people to repeat old topics or post in old topics the rules will eventually lead to no new threads being created at all.
    That is why, and did you even read my first post? It answers your question more thoroughly. Also like Zeroenix said, to acomodate your new members.
    Last edited by Exoparadapsyphobia; Jun 01, 2006 at 05:53 PM.

Warrior Monk kedar may be famous one day kedar may be famous one day kedar's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia
    Yes, that is mainly to what my argument pertains to. The thread was getting a decent amount of posts and yet it was locked, I find the action unessecary since it was obviously active, and I am sure some people feel the same.
    Are you talking about my thread on suicide, Exo? If so, that has been dead for than 3-5 months, I believe, so it's far for being even revived. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoparadapsyphobia
    That is why, and did you even read my first post? It answers your question with perfect clarity. Also like Zeroenix said to acomodate, your new members.
    ~I believe what Kastelic-Sami meant was, if a member starts a thread similar to an existing topic, it will be closed at once!!!!!! However, if someone decides to start a thread similar a dead one, I don't think it will be closed, unless it leads to spam. Example: I once made a thread on the topic of beauty, asking members to pick whether internal or external beauty (.) matters the most to them, but that thread got closed since was revived after being idle for a long time. ^^;; Nonetheless, I was allowed to make a thread on looks versus personality, which is very much the same as that beauty thread.

Anyway, I do understand your side of the argument here, maybe if the idle time-period limit was extended to like three weeks, I suppose it will be alright, but I don't really see any difference that can make.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast