+ Reply to Thread

Thread: September Potm

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

September Potm

Well, when I looked at that forum... Its looking a bit sloppy.
    I really enjoy POTM, both in reading and entering. So, I thought I'd offer a few sudgestions.

One of the bigger problems is that people are posting work that does not fit the guidelines of this months theme. Perhaps if the old themes were deleted it would lighten confusion? Aside form that... If you are going to submit an entry you should read the theme. (I'd like to think that'd go without saying but Im not so sure).

Also, There are at least 3 poems I saw that were last months entries, which are not closed threads like the other entries of last month (So they appear to be new submissions). I think that may be contributing to some confusion as well. If those were closed, things would seem a bit more organized. Infact, I wonder... Is there a way that the entries from one month could stand alone? Not combined with that of the previous contest?

Other than that its looking good!

Keep writing... make POTM a success!!!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: September Potm

It isn't our responsibility to baby people, if they don't read the theme they don't get credit. Easy as that. Also we don't want to close the old threads unless they truly are dead per the 14 day rule. Poets need their feedback and a competition entry is no exception.

We moved to the title including the theme and date of the contest entry (I.E. "Journey's End - September 2007) to help reduce confusion as to what entries are what...but again we aren't babying people, they will follow the rules or not be considered.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    It isn't our responsibility to baby people, if they don't read the theme they don't get credit. Easy as that. Also we don't want to close the old threads unless they truly are dead per the 14 day rule. Poets need their feedback and a competition entry is no exception.

We moved to the title including the theme and date of the contest entry (I.E. "Journey's End - September 2007) to help reduce confusion as to what entries are what...but again we aren't babying people, they will follow the rules or not be considered.
    I understand not wanting to "baby" people. Im sure if I was able to understand what was what, so is everyone. I was frustrated to see how many people have posted invalid work. People should know better.

I did find things to be a bit confusing and chaotic though. I was just wondering if some of that confusion could be eased is all. But, if you're telling me nothing can be done... So be it.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

It is just that I personally fixed 2 thread titles and posted comments in at least 3 others that their poem wasn't valid as it didn't fit the theme...I am not going to continue putting that kind of effort into something because they fail to read.

As far easing the confusion...I had suggested that we move all the old threads to the normal poem section and leave only current month entries in the POTM...it wasn't done due to wanting to leave the contest entries in the contest forum...but if it really is causing such confusion then I will PM the other judges again and see if that is something they will consider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    It is just that I personally fixed 2 thread titles and posted comments in at least 3 others that their poem wasn't valid as it didn't fit the theme...I am not going to continue putting that kind of effort into something because they fail to read.
    You did that?! I saw your comments... but you fixed titles too? Definately you have gone above and beyond your call of duty. I'd be frustrated too If I were you.

Well I appreciate anything you could do. (Sorry, seems you have already done too much).
    ... Not Ever Again...

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

As for poems not following the month's theme...as chief said, the warning was issued, not only in his posts in the first couple of entries, but also when I announced the winner of August's POTM. At this point, if people can't be bothered the read the general POTM rules/applicable theme, then their entries just won't be considered. This is stated in the POTM rules, so there should be no arguments on that.

I am going to add a rule that all entries for a certain month's POTM will be closed one week after the winner is announced (except for the winner, of course). This should give more than enough time for comments, and will make it easy for the judges to see what is actually being submitted for the current POTM.

Thanks for your questions, anything that can be clarified or modified to make this work better is definitely appreciated.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

+ Reply to Thread