+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spell Check on AO?

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Spell Check on AO?

im sure im not the only one that
    is bad with spelling or punctuating,
    or maybe you have problems making a
    decent thread or quility post because
    of your spelling , why cant we introduce
    spell check for AO like an option alon with
    the wrap quotes or linking pics.

yes i know IE7 has it and maybe fire fox but
    what about those who might not have spell
    check , could we add that to the options
    you use when posting on a thread like i mentioned
    before?

and does anyone else think this would help improve
    spelling and make quality post's easier to make?
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

★~Ao's Irish Fariy ~★ equinn may be famous one day equinn may be famous one day equinn's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Spell Check on AO?

i think its a good idea i always have to go into msw to spell check

but i have gotten alot better at spelling on my own and like people do pont it out witch is very helpful i think

but yeah good idea ....

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry, it doesn't seem this is a feasble idea...I found this post on the subject matter in the vbulletin website

Quote Originally Posted by feldon23
    There is no spell checker built into vB.

Server-side spell checkers are fraught with problems:

* All practical spell checker plug-ins for vBulletin and other PHP projects depend upon either the aspell or pspell PHP library to be installed on the server. Neither aspell nor pspell PHP libraries are widespread/common enough to tailor to one or both of them. I believe pspell depends upon a MySQL database for the dictionary?
    * Server-side spell checking adds a significant load and memory usage to the server.
    * Significant development time would be required to develop a spell checker that is professional enough for Jelsoft to feel comfortable including in the product (a kludge-riddled hack isn't going to do it). No matter how well it's written, it would be almost unacceptably slow.
    The most feasible option is just to upgrade your browser to IE7 or FF2 as they have built in spellcheckers.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Or you could just not use IE7 and stop the spread of Spyware and Adware, but thats just my two cents...

Back when I was running a forum for a Chat site, I added a spell checker (We were using phpBB PLUS 2.0), and I eventually had to take it down because of the reasons mentioned above, it just used too much bandwidth.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Or you could just not use IE7 and stop the spread of Spyware and Adware, but thats just my two cents...

Back when I was running a forum for a Chat site, I added a spell checker (We were using phpBB PLUS 2.0), and I eventually had to take it down because of the reasons mentioned above, it just used too much bandwidth.
    I was curious.

Besides the whole bandwith problem(have no clue about the details), what would be the point of having a spell check anyways? You could spell a little better?

Since we haved shortened almost every word to the point of creating an entirely different language, would it really make a difference or matter then? Since a spellcheck just gives the best option and not entirely the correct one, again, I ask what would be the point. If someone can't spell the word in the first place, how are they even going to know which word would even be the right one? Ex. - Write, Right, Rite

Eh, I don't really care myself. From a spectator's view point though, I usually notice that the ones who can't spell all too hot, can't really use correct grammer either. Who cares about correct spelling when we know what you are talking about. If we can't even understand what you say with correct spelling, what did the spellcheck actually accomplish?

(I remmber in highsch ool the re was ths test showng h ow uniq ue the hu man psych wa s wh en it cam 2 understnding our langu age e ven whn it was this dis torted.) - What does this say?

Does it really matter that much? The above statement adds a little perspective on my opinion.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    I was curious.

Besides the whole bandwith problem(have no clue about the details), what would be the point of having a spell check anyways? You could spell a little better?

Since we haved shortened almost every word to the point of creating an entirely different language, would it really make a difference or matter then? Since a spellcheck just gives the best option and not entirely the correct one, again, I ask what would be the point. If someone can't spell the word in the first place, how are they even going to know which word would even be the right one? Ex. - Write, Right, Rite

Eh, I don't really care myself. From a spectator's view point though, I usually notice that the ones who can't spell all too hot, can't really use correct grammer either. Who cares about correct spelling when we know what you are talking about. If we can't even figure understand what you say with correct spelling, what did the spellcheck actually accomplish?

Please that is very poor logic, I am a horrid speller but that doesn't mean I am so stupid as to not know what word is what or that I don't understand the dynamics of proper grammar. I have 2 B.S. degrees and can speak 2 languages and yet still can’t spell very well in my native one, does that mean I don’t know or can’t recognize the word I wanted? NO, also I may say “typr” (clearly misspelled) instead of “type” does that mean I am an idiot? No, I just had a typo. There are millions of words and slang out there and you can’t expect people to remember how to spell them all. With the rate of speed in which people type you can't expect even great spellers to get them all right every time.

On a added note just because I cannot spell the best doesn't mean I care so little about the way my posts read as to leave misspelled words in them. Granted some of us really don't care for the abbreviated versions of words either. It is "you" not u, even if I can understand what you said it doesn’t mean I will consider what you said with a high level of respect.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    Please that is very poor logic, I am a horrid speller but that doesn't mean I am so stupid as to not know what word is what or that I don't understand the dynamics of proper grammer. I have 2 B.S. degrees and can speak 2 languages and yet still can’t spell very well in my native one, does that mean I don’t know or can’t recognize the word I wanted? NO, also I may say “typr” (clearly misspelled) instead of “type” does that mean I am an idiot? No, I just had a typo. There are millions of words and slang out there and you can’t expect people to remember how to spell them all. With the rate of speed in which people type you can't expect even great spellers to get them all right everytime.
    Even though you say my comment has very poor logic, you just about refrased it yourself.

I didn't realise that spelling and grammer was such a personal subject matter. Etiher or, what you have or what you know or what you supposedly or just can do, as your said yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    There are millions of words and slang out there and you can’t expect people to remember how to spell them all. With the rate of speed in which people type you can't expect even great spellers to get them all right everytime.
    Since we all make mistakes and have come across these errors frequently, it would be a waste to apply the spellcheck now or the act would simply be pointless.

We could nitpick about those simple little spelling or grammer errors you just made(or the little ones in my response for that matter), but who cares really and who points them out? It isn't as though some spelling is so atrocious that we completely lose sight of the message, and if we did, does a simple(refrase that plz) hurt that much?

It is amusing..the seriousness of this.

Oh yes, this wasn't a personal attack towards you, but a general accusation. Since we probably have people who learned English as a second language, it isn't unreasonable to assume that their grammer could sit right next to their poor spelling in situations.

Sorry that I continuously add on to my posts, but I am one of those people who can get the message instead of having to read every single word.(That is what edit means for me) Since we love detail though, and the follow up comments allowing us to pick and choose specifics...

It is interesting to know that some actually do consider spelling part of the "point system" in which we judge or appreciate dialogues/conversations. Personally I always left that out and kept peope in high regard whether or not they did spell correctly. Hell, If I were like that, I probably wouldn't even bat an eye towards half the people in the world, let alone here. (No offense, we all do it) The message certainly does fall short, and that is what I believed to be the only thing of actual importance.
    Last edited by Tbaism; Jul 24, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Thanks

You in no way offended me nor were you comments taken as an attack towards me. I am an objective person who can accept others comments as their opinion and not allow it to blind me with emotionalism. I trust the same is with you.

I did not re-phase your comments in the sense I was agreeing with them, I just used them to offer why it is important for some members to have a “spell check” and stated that just because you didn’t spell well didn’t mean you where dumb (since you implied that one couldn’t tell the difference or correct word if they could not spell). I used myself as a reference tool and not as a means to say I took it personally; I did this since I can do that without offending or embarrassing another member on the board who may be more sensitive to their faults. I know I cannot spell very well but at the same time I realize that it isn’t a reflection on my complete intellectual level.

It is interesting to know that some actually do consider spelling part of the "point system" in which we judge or appreciate dialogues/conversations. Personally I always left that out and kept peope in high regard whether or not they did spell correctly. Hell, If I were like that, I probably wouldn't even bat an eye towards half the people in the world, let alone here. (No offense, we all do it) The message certainly does fall short, and that is what I believed to be the only thing of actual importance.
    Yes society (everyone) does judge others on speech; written, vocal and body language. We are taught that all our lives and in a lot of cases it is a qualifier for your status in society. It affects all areas of your life, try submitting a resume, writing a letter to a customer, filing a document with the SEC that is caulk full of bad spelling and see where it gets you.

Now, you may say you don’t “judge” others like that but you did. Was not your initial argument that it doesn’t matter if we have a spell check since:

If someone can't spell the word in the first place, how are they even going to know which word would even be the right one? Ex. - Write, Right, Rite.
    Does that statement not judge them to say, if you can’t spell you can’t understand the meaning of the words or recognize the proper one when you see it? Is that not a judgment on their intellectual level? Did you truly take their comments at the same level as someone who can tell the difference between words?

No matter how you spin it someone that talks like this:

“Dude, i 8 SoMe susihi aNd it WaS tHa BoMb, u ShoLd geT SoMe 2, l8er”

They will never be considered with the same level of respect or regard as someone that takes the time to formulate their responses in the appropriate manner. Nor would anyone truly say they prefer the method above over a proper and grammatically correct sentence. Not to mention it takes longer to read and after seeing a whole paragraph structured like that…one’s brain may hurt too much to care what they said enough to read it.

I mean is this not a board dedicated to “intelligent” conversation…? Should we not all want to communicate intelligently? Can you say “AIM” or texting speech is intelligent conversation?

While I agree that we are more tolerant towards those who use English as a second language; I in no ways think we should say through out the rules of proper communication or think that it should be ok as long as the message is there. Why should I care what you have to say if you are un-willing to take the time to at least attempt to formulate the words and their semantics correctly?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast