+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Spell Check on AO?

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks
    Simply abbreviating or making a conversation more convenient is not something that is entirely or necesarrily seen as the depiction of intellect or grade. Yes, I know the importance of spelling, puncuation, and grammer in the business section of life, but referring or comparing casual and comfort almost seems insignificant.

Besides, expections are widely accepted more than you realise, and a perfectly incompetent individual can be as successful as the latter.

I stated before that the message is what counts and the spelling has no real merit. This same logic and reasoning was applied to all aspects of my previous comments.

What you took from it was an insult, but it is actually reasonable logic. You can't spell a word, you check it out. but on a spell check a definition isn't always prepared. For me, I know quite a few words but I don't know where they necesarrily belong. I have seen more than enough people here apply the word "right" instead of "write" and vice versa. A spell check won't catch that. You spelled the word correctly, you just didn't get the correct word.

It is merely an observation and a a simple one to notice in my opinion. Since the error is present and in clear view, judging people is not. Since the statement was also retorical and was theoretically directed towards the major populace(I understand your taking offense)but, it was in fact something that others would consider a "message" that is understood under reading between the lines. You can figure this out if you read the comment as a whole really.

I stated before that simple spelling errors shouldn't reflect intellect or grade. Your whole sentence with the dude and the bomb written in numbers and such don't really help your cause. The sentence doesn't scream intellect even if you were to say it with correct spelling, so another example would be nice.

Conversations as the such would fall under the category of non intellectual or without contribuation correct? Why would you place simple spelling errors with that, or just spelling errors period? That doesn't make much sense to me. Since we are both in agreement at some point, clearification was needed to fill in the rest I suppose.

I haven't been on much or people just don't pay attention to my posts to an extent in which they respond to them, but I am constantly repeating the same old thing after every post I make.

I am here to write. My responses aren't any real secretive hidden Davinci code message in a bottle. The truth hurts and if saying things blunlty from a another perspective offends, well that is your problem. I don't do it to hurt others, so tough cookie if you refuse to re-read or take every little word into account without that deep breath beforehand.

If you care to respond as if I were talking to you solely or as a comment referring to your singular posts, perhaps another good read of mine will clerify my absence of response to your future one.

Crap, I meant to cut out that quote to shorten my post but it failed..oops. Delete this plz, it is a repost when I was actually just editing a previous post.
    Last edited by Chiefblackhammer; Jul 24, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Spell Check on AO?

ok i undertsand that then i forgot it was mentioned
    a while back i will get IE7 i guess , and maybe this should
    be closed before someone get upset i got the answear i was looking
    for i was just thinking spell check would be handy on AO i
    didnt realise it slowed things down
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think its really that important. We know what you meant. The worst is when you cant understand what a member is talking about because its written so poorly. Ill take a spelling mistake over that anyday.

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    Simply abbreviating or making a conversation more convenient is not something that is entirely or necesarrily seen as the depiction of intellect or grade. Yes, I know the importance of spelling, puncuation, and grammer in the business section of life, but referring or comparing casual and comfort almost seems insignificant.

Besides, expections are widely accepted more than you realise, and a perfectly incompetent individual can be as successful as the latter.

I stated before that the message is what counts and the spelling has no real merit. This same logic and reasoning was applied to all aspects of my previous comments.

What you took from it was an insult, but it is actually reasonable logic. You can't spell a word, you check it out. but on a spell check a definition isn't always prepared. For me, I know quite a few words but I don't know where they necesarrily belong. I have seen more than enough people here apply the word "right" instead of "write" and vice versa. A spell check won't catch that. You spelled the word correctly, you just didn't get the correct word.

It is merely an observation and a a simple one to notice in my opinion. Since the error is present and in clear view, judging people is not. Since the statement was also retorical and was theoretically directed towards the major populace(I understand your taking offense)but, it was in fact something that others would consider a "message" that is understood under reading between the lines. You can figure this out if you read the comment as a whole really.

I stated before that simple spelling errors shouldn't reflect intellect or grade. Your whole sentence with the dude and the bomb written in numbers and such don't really help your cause. The sentence doesn't scream intellect even if you were to say it with correct spelling, so another example would be nice.

Conversations as the such would fall under the category of non intellectual or without contribuation correct? Why would you place simple spelling errors with that, or just spelling errors period? That doesn't make much sense to me. Since we are both in agreement at some point, clearification was needed to fill in the rest I suppose.

I haven't been on much or people just don't pay attention to my posts to an extent in which they respond to them, but I am constantly repeating the same old thing after every post I make.

I am here to write. My responses aren't any real secretive hidden Davinci code message in a bottle. The truth hurts and if saying things blunlty from a another perspective offends, well that is your problem. I don't do it to hurt others, so tough cookie if you refuse to re-read or take every little word into account without that deep breath beforehand.

If you care to respond as if I were talking to you solely or as a comment referring to your singular posts, perhaps another good read of mine will clerify my absence of response to your future one.
    Please don’t interpret my words within a context that I take things personally or that I pick apart your words with a biased close minded approach. Especially after I have stated that I wasn’t reading your statements as personal attacks. I did not take your comment as an insult, that would be personalizing the statement and that is not what I did. Likewise I am not saying this to imply your comments where directed at me. I speak this as just a clarification that I am taking this as a subjective conversation. Since I speak in terms of generalities myself, normally even if directly speaking towards someone else’s statement, that is how I am interpreting you above comments.

Now what I did do in my responses was take your statement as an indication that you applied the lack of an “ability to spell” with the “inability to understand” the meaning of a word without looking it up. That is what I am saying is a flaw in your logic. It is very possible and I dare say it is more the standard that someone may know exactly the word they want to use but not the proper spelling.

If I say: “The synaposis of the series is as so…” I in no ways need a dictionary to know that synaposis should be “synopsis” instead of “synapses” or some other word, the spell check simply allows me the opportunity to see a selection of words and pick the correct one from it. I do this so I can ensure the intended meaning is derived by my words, which I may spend a lot of time and effort into carefully selecting. As well, given I know that proper sentences are easier to understand, given a higher level of respect and much more appreciated…I make the effort to do so.

In the same respect I fully understand that there are cases where a person has no idea the difference between two words. I will use peoples’ application of “affect” and “effect” as an example. Likewise, I understand that spell check cannot fix this issues given they are not misspellings. That however is out side the scope of what a spell checker is suppose to do. It isn’t a grammar or word analysis tool, its purpose to check spelling.

Now your other argument is that the spelling has no merit as the “meaning” in most cases can still be derived. While I see the amount of truth to that statement, it fails to encompass the nature of speech and why we spell words a certain way in the first place.

Structure is the foundation of speech and it is that structure by which we can derive any “meaning.” Thus if we as a society embrace the whimsical notion that the biases of the predefined structure (spelling, semantics, grammar) is un-important then by what means can we ever truly capture “meaning.” Therefore my argument is if we make no effort to ensure the structure then you cannot be sure you are getting or giving the proper or intended “meaning.”

AIM and texting speech is only making the conversation more convenient for the speaker, allowing that person to be “lazy” at the expense of the reader. How can you say that is a justified course of action when the author of the message is saying they themselves don’t care enough about ensuring intended “meaning” to dictate a proper sentence? In course almost ensuring dis-communication occurs?

Granted with you argument context is also applicable, you implied this stating since my AIM talk example was of a personal nature, that it would fall under a non-intellectual conversation and therefore the rules of structure should be lax-ed or at least placed within a lower amount of contextual importance.

But is it? Do we have to be in a discussion of thermal dynamics in order to have a high amount of importance placed upon the structure of our speech? Maybe, but as a general rule the way we converse normally is the same manner in which we will converse explicitly. If you encourage or participate largely in poor grammatical practices in your everyday life will they not become exposed in your more “important” conversations?

Therefore to society spelling as well as an attempt to form proper sentences is the social norm.

I Hate Junk Posting AiB Champion, Typo Champion Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball is making a name for themselves Dragon Ball's Avatar
    Thanks

Just use Firefox or another browser with spell check built in. It's so simple, and when you incorrectly spell a word, it underlines it in red. Installing a spell checker on this forum would only slow things down and I think it's better to have a fast loading forum.

Cheers.

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

thats cool i will go with fire fox or IE7 for it buts cool that there are so many
    opinons though
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally, I like to type a little more properly on forums than on AIM, mostly because posts can be long and it is easier for people to read.

On AIM, I type in some weird ghetto sh** that I can't usually understand when I read it over again. lol

I think a spell checker isn't necessary for forums.

Most of the time, we know what you mean.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2