Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Spellcheck.

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Spellcheck.

I don't want to sound Bi%8y, but I see that most people totally ignore the wonderful spell-check option on the forums. When I'm scrolling through post after post, I find some of the worst grammatical and spelling mistakes nonetheless. (I just used it to spell grammatical correctly!)

So why don't people use it? Maybe some incentive?
    would there be a way that if a post has no red underlined words in it- that it would give them some points or something?
    Something?
    Just anything. I really can barely read some posts, and am annoyed by others...

But for the most part, people are fairly decent.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

Re: Spellcheck.

most members of AO don't have firefox and are unable to use the spell checker option.

Although, i for one and not really very good at grammar and punctuation. So i am not able to post properly. I also know that there are some members who also find this difficult.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Youth-anime-fan View Post
    I don't want to sound Bi%8y, but I see that most people totally ignore the wonderful spell-check option on the forums.
    I don't give a care about whether they use spell check as long as they punctuate and use paragraphs. That's just because I like to be able to read it though.

Just keep in mind Y-a-f, there are people on this forum who don't speak English as their 1st language. Be kind and don't obsess about it.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

You got to keep in mind also, that a lot of these members do have Firefox 2. My point is... People are just lazy. Lazy and compliant. They don't want to learn to spell right. If they DO know how to spell right, then they're compliant with spelling wrong.

That said, it would disturb some if they were forced spell and write grammatically correct. Let's face it, this is the internet after all. People are going to want to type in "text" speech.

And yes, Arrianna is correct. Some members are from foreign countries, or might not know English as a first language. That being said, I do encourage everyone to not pick on any members in terms of grammar.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

What about a spell check hack for this board. For those who don't have firefox II.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

The spell check in Firefox isn't even that good in the first place.

you can have one letter wrong in a word, and Firefox will think its a COMPLETELY different word, while some times it can be dead on.

As for a Spell check in IE7/6, just install the google tool bar, and read this thread: http://www.animeonline.net/tech-cent...our-posts.html

Although I do have to say that if you don't have Firefox, you should do so now, your internet experience (And the safety of your computer) will drastically improve.

Otaku Youth-anime-fan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Hmm... didn't know that it was just a Firefox thing.

And yes, the people who have English as a second language, but most of them do know the correct spelling of simple words. I can tell between a typo type error and someone who doesn't know how to spell a word correctly. I'm not talking about their they're and there. I'm talking about some people who also might make a mistake, know its wrong, and don't bother to correct it anyways...

So then I doubt that there could be any sort of reward system for this, right?

[ps, thanks for the feedback.]

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

A reward system for typing correctly would be like a reward system for even posting. You also have to figure this is some of the way people talk. I mean on here we have some people that talk like gangster's so they talk how a gangsta would talk. We all know that they do not use correct english. The thing is if we can still understand them even though they don't use punctuation or correct grammar it's ok. Also as it has been said not even Firefox is correct 100% of the time. Then you have people that just type really fast and they don't notice the spelling before the submit the post. This is the least of your worries when your dealing with the internet. We have kids on this site to so it's like some of them haven't gone through school enough to know about everything. As Dragon Ball has said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Ball View Post
    The huamn bairn is acatully qutie celevr.

As long as you get the 1st and last character right, the human brain can understand. I actually put this theory to test with a group of Japanese and they could all read my sentence. But don't take this as a green light to start posting like this in these forums.

Just an interesting piece of trivia for you all.

Cheers.
    So if you can read that why complain about misspelled words?
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast