Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: thread starter

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: thread starter

Quote Originally Posted by PocketLint View Post
    I've been a guest here at AO for quite sometime, just never decided to join until recently. Ive seen people banned for breaking rules that could have easily been avoided had they just been REMINDED of the rules.

You White Wolf, should know quite well that in some cases by the time a problem gets to a mod the cosquences can at times be pretty servere.
    where as if you tell someone nicely about the problem , they can edit their post accordingly before a mod has to be bothered with it.

I can understand the point you make of PMing. but do you not think it would be helpful to others to see reminders? afterall I learned about the daily thread limit from another member who was reminding someone of it (*praying they werent given an infraction). Ive also seen members banned for ignorantly posting accsesive threads (poetry).

If AO is a community, then that is how communities work.
    If a friend were doing something wrong, would you call the police on them? Or would you first try to prevent them getting in trouble by reminding them of the law.

Lastly, as far as such reminders being "clutter".. would they be clutter if ~only~ followed by a members on topic opinion on a thread?
    Just report the post for whatever reason you believe they should be "reminded" of the rules, and a moderator will take care of it. I know you just want to help out, and there's no harm in that. But there are enough mods on this site to take care of a situation they feel needs to be handled. They give warnings and infractions, depending how serious the situation is.

Pocketlint, it's just one of the rules of this site. Deal with it.

Newbie PocketLint is off to a good start PocketLint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Just report the post for whatever reason you believe they should be "reminded" of the rules, and a moderator will take care of it. I know you just want to help out, and there's no harm in that. But there are enough mods on this site to take care of a situation they feel needs to be handled. They give warnings and infractions, depending how serious the situation is.

Pocketlint, it's just one of the rules of this site. Deal with it.
    well, dealing with it is one way to go about life. Just not one I prefer.
    I like to question things as opposed to just thinking "rules are rules".

Even if nothing changes due to my questioning I still believe my points are valid, and not yet have they been convincingly refuted (in my opinion). Or at the least I can say my questions have not been answered. Except only by being told basically to just be a sheep and abide. At the very least, I hope what im saying is food for thought.

In real world, much has come of people challenging seemingly unfair laws.

Thanks

well, dealing with it is one way to go about life. Just not one I prefer.
    I like to question things as opposed to just thinking "rules are rules".

Even if nothing changes due to my questioning I still believe my points are valid, and not yet have they been convincingly refuted (in my opinion). Or at the least I can say my questions have not been answered. Except only by being told basically to just be a sheep and abide. At the very least, I hope what im saying is food for thought.

In real world, much has come of people challenging seemingly unfair laws.
    Basically, it's a rule to reduce spamming. When you psudeo mod, you are only spamming the thread with a useless post that adds nothing to the thread subject. Also, let the mods do their jobs. No need to do it for them.

Newbie PocketLint is off to a good start PocketLint's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Basically, it's a rule to reduce spamming. When you psudeo mod, you are only spamming the thread with a useless post that adds nothing to the thread subject. Also, let the mods do their jobs. No need to do it for them.
    Not that I enjoy repeating myself. But would it still be spamming if a reminder were only said in a post which first had a valid, on topic opinion of the thread?

Example: (Thread topic: "what's your favorite restuarant and why?"
    Off topic poster: "I like purple unicorns!"
    Helful community member: "My favorite restuarant is Emily's Lebanese Deli. I like it because the food is flavorful, and its not your adveradge american burger and fries. I get sick of the same ol' same ol'. BTW, Off topic poster, your post was off topic. I'll PM you and tell you how to avoid an infraction.)

Now. A: Off topic user can now edit a post to suite the topic.
    B: Other members can see the reminder, and be informed of what they may have not understood.
    C: No harm no foul. No one got in trouble. And the helpful person did not just "spam", they contributed.

Seems like a win win to me.

If people said "Hey, Im not gonna call out that guy whos shoplifting, thats a police job."
    or "Gee, Im like 2 feet away from a mugger who stole a purse... but the police should be here any minute" The world would be far more chaotic.
    Last edited by PocketLint; May 20, 2007 at 11:14 AM.

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

You White Wolf, should know quite well that in some cases by the time a problem gets to a mod the cosquences can at times be pretty servere.
    where as if you tell someone nicely about the problem , they can edit their post accordingly before a mod has to be bothered with it.
    What you may not realize is that warnings, which do not result in any points against the member, serve as reminders. Infractions are received after multiple warnings have not changed the situation, and members who end up banned have generally been warned, infracted, and reminded more than a few times about rules they continue to break.

I understand your concern; opening a great thread topic and seeing it closed due to poor quality posts by other members. But if we let all thread starters post "reminders" of the rules, I forsee a LOT of spam, insults, arguments, etc; the thread would end up closed anyway. As the White Wolf said, you always have the option of reporting posts, letting a mod know immediately that there is an issue.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Reporting the post is the best thing to do. Pseudo modding can cause fights. Some members may get their feathers ruffled. May think the other members is out to get em.

Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Thanks

^ That's pretty much what I was trying to get across earlier. I've already seen people insulting other people who have pseudo modded them. And gren is definitely right about the warnings. Noobs especially get the warnings until we feel they should know the rules. I mean, most people who have been here for awhile know the rules, and if they should slip up at one time, it's not like one infraction is going to ban them. It would require a person breaking the rules over and over again in the week, which I would think a 4 day ban is justified at that point if they don't learn from the initial warnings. Right?

The rule helps keep this place organized and treats everyone equally. You break it, you get a warning/infraction. You continue to do it after countless infractions or warnings, you get punished for a set period of time for not respecting the rules of the site.

*Rules are there to benefit the community.

This is just my opinion of course.
    Attitude of AO MODS, according to beast
    Because they have obtained that level they are arrogant. You have to kep in mind when you talk about these guys they are kind of dorks who probably didn't excel at much and this is their only outlet to flex their muscles. Their egos would suffer no less so the the forum suffers some more. Watch one way or another they will probably repond to this post with a threat. But there are better forums out there. Private messege Zev.

Thanks

It would require a person breaking the rules over and over again in the week, which I would think a 4 day ban is justified at that point if they don't learn from the initial warnings. Right?
    Yes.

And as Deo said.. rules are here to benefit the community. Not just to be rules. The higher-ups already thought of this when they were making the rules. Preventing psuedo modding prevents flamming and unnecessary comments.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast