+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: underappreciated staff?

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

underappreciated staff?

There was a thread I replied to recently, where a new member asked how this site was ran so smoothly. In response to that thread, a staff member referred to the job he and the other staff do as "often thankless"

well, I find that to be untrue. I believe AO holds a generally decent ratio of not only loyal, but appreciative members.

In September of '08. I made a suggestion in the following thread:
    In Mods we trust.

My suggestion was that we have an official thread, (stickied would be nice) for members to show their appreciation. Whether it be just a kind staff member they want to recognize. Or even just wanting to show when they've recognized a job well done.

At the time... and to my surprise and dismay, my suggestion was mocked by staff and members alike.

So, I'm bringing it to the table again. I'd like to suggest this thread be created. I've always been appreciative of the good things the staff do here. I'd like to be able to shout it off the roof tops. Plus, It sucks to be an appreciative member, but not have that appreciation recognized by staff.

Now, before anyone replies to this with a snide remark. I'd like to make it known that I'd like my suggestion to be taken seriously.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: underappreciated staff?

We see thanks as people following the rules, and listening to what we tell them when rules are broken and not doing it again

What I meant by thankless in the other thread was people flying off the handle and being abusive towards the staff when we give them a warning about their signature.

I honestly don't think a thread like the one you're suggesting is needed, considering the failure of the one you pointed out, which was along the same lines.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Well if it were an official thread, it would leave no room for people who just want to spout off how they feel about my suggestion. It would be a place ONLY for staff appreciation. After all, in real world workplaces... staff appreciation events are held all the time.

And, everybody makes mistakes... I was JUST infracted for making a mistake of posting in a section that was less appropriate than a different section would have been. So perhaps that makes me deemed unappreciative?

What I do know is, the lapses of time I go without making mistakes, doesn't make me feel as though I'm expressing my gratitude fully. It just means I'm complying... and there's a difference.

I'd actually like to have a place to SHOW my appreciation. And there were a few other members who seemed to like the idea.

Yanno. I would have to agree. AO is pretty great and although I tend to pay more attention to myspace cus I have all kinds of family on there. I too actually prefer the atmosphere here at AO.
    While I have had some personal bleh feelings for certain mods. Never anything serious, of course. And at the same time the experiences I've had with other mods were very helpful and fantastic in fact. So I feel like generally they're awesome sauce. And an appreciation system would be a nice idea.
    -bratling

I can't say that I have been here at AO for a long time but true enough it is a plesint place to talk and debate... and i agree at time the mods are anoying... but over all they should be thanked for the great jobs that they do everyday...

THANK YOU MODS!!!!!!!
    -basilisk888
    well this site has my attention more than my space or my blog site and have met alot of friends here. in other sites the mods or admins are like duh don't disturb but here ............................ approachable. and i promise am trying my best to behave.
    -PhoenixSara

And those were just a few. In between the spurts of mockery. And if were an actual thread I'd bet there would be even more positives (as the mockery would be eliminated)
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Jan 23, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

I think if you created a thread for it, that it might be full of empty or sarcastic comments. Just my thoughts. Besides wouldn't want to make Hassun blush from all the wonderful things people would say about him.

I am all for giving things a try though, if it means that much.
    Last edited by Zev; Jan 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zev For This Useful Post:

Peach_follows (Jan 24, 2010)

Thanks

Any sarcasm would be off topic to the thread right? I'd take responsibility to report it as rule breaking.

See, I sometimes feel you guys think we dislike you...

Its important to me... that the staff here recognizes that they are appreciated! What better way to do that than document such appreciation? Because quite frankly, I dont feel that those of us who do care... get any credit. Staff is quick to point out a bad apples. And its easy to make known when you're up to no good. But its not so obvious when you really want to show that you're thankful for a well run site.

We have gallery recognition now for people who do well with graphic\creative arts. Why not have a place to recognize the staff who make it possible for us to do such here?

I dunno, I guess I shouldn't press it if staff really doesn't care. But reading staff proclaim how "thankless" the job is, is daunting to someone like me who just wants to say "thanks".
    ... Not Ever Again...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't agree that sarcasm would be off topic, threads are suppose to be opinionated not controlled...well not controlled in the fact all of the posts should conform to the site rules anyway. If people don't like us then that is their choice, if they do like us..."positives" would be in the form of activity and following the rules which is what the site needs and obviously isn't always the case.

The reason the mods do what they do is because they care about the site, giving back to the things we care about it is the most gratifying way you can say thanks! Basically making our jobs on the site obsolete.

Sadly it doesn't work that way and we are needed...however I just don't understand people who break the rules...how hard is it to say...hmmm I am about to post a signature...is it conforming to the site rules? I am about to post a reply....is it relevant to the topic? Did I just reply to this and I should look to see if I can edit my last response instead of posting again? I am creating a new thread...am I in the right section? Is there a similar thread for this already out there?

The rules are common sense and take 2 seconds of thought to follow, why is that so hard for people?

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zev View Post
    I think if you created a thread for it, that it might be full of empty or sarcastic comments. Just my thoughts. Besides wouldn't want to make Hassun blush from all the wonderful things people would say about him.

I am all for giving things a try though, if it means that much.
    You hit the nail on the head there. I say in appreciation some one brings in the head of the hacker. It is a joke don't commit violence. I can understand why her thoughts were mocked and why they thought she was being sarcastic.

Thanks

I don't agree that sarcasm would be off topic, threads are suppose to be opinionated not controlled..
    Um, How is sarcasm showing appreciation? How exactly would being sarcastic in a thread meant for showing appreciation be on topic?
    The rules are common sense and take 2 seconds of thought to follow, why is that so hard for people?
    Sometimes when a person breaks the rules.. its not about lack of thought. Its more about difference of opinion between mod and member.
    You hit the nail on the head there. I say in appreciation some one brings in the head of the hacker. It is a joke don't commit violence. I can understand why her thoughts were mocked and why they thought she was being sarcastic.
    What? What did that even mean....? I know you weren't directing it at me (since you referred to me as "she" and not "you"). But still, I really didn't understand. What was the relevancy of the violence statement?

I understand what you staff are saying about the best way of showing appreciation being rule compliance. But uh, Do you really RECOGNIZE when that happens, that it means people do appreciate you? I see staff write all the time about how they perceive themselves as disliked, or unappreciated. I never really see any staff say how great they feel toward the members who are also working in tandem with staff toward a happy AO.

Yes, this thread was to be directed toward staff in appreciation... But its a 2 way street. It would also have been a way for members to be recognized as more than just good little thread starters. But also as members who would take the time to show that how much they appreciate their forum.

*sigh

Im sooo exhausted. Everytime I try to put this out here, I get shut down. Shut down by mainly staff at that. Yet, its perfectly acceptable to rant about the members who displease you. While you don't offer any place for members to establish a good rapport, other than the forums. But you never say how pleased you are, toward members who are doing the right thing. No wonder people break the rules.

My new suggestion is for staff to stop complaining so much about the lack of respect and appreciation they're shown, if they aren't willing to let members show them otherwise (in another way than just being productive and compliant which seems to go unnoticed).
    Last edited by Peach_follows; Jan 24, 2010 at 09:14 AM.
    ... Not Ever Again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast