+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to learn!

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

I want to learn!

to sew, to make clothes. I want to make dresses and other outfits out of some of my old "fat girl" clothes. There is a particular pair of plaid pants I want to take in or make a skirt out of because I love them so. And my old system of a down tee, that is totally going to be a dress or part of a dress. Thing is, I donno how to sew. I mean I get the basics, I can sew by hand a little, I learned in school. My grandma also taught me the very very VERY basics of using a sewing machine. I have a machine but I've never taken it out of the box. I don't really know where to start. Any suggestions?
    I also want to learn to make synthetic dreads. Yanno, the kind you would use to make falls? I just want to make extentions though. Because I really desperately want to do something new with my hair. And I think this is the least damaging way to add color and flair to my head. I'm scared to dread my hair cus I am partial to my hair. And I don't want to dye it (I mean I really do, bright ****in purple would be tops.) but I don't want to damage my hair to hell again. And I don't know how soon after the new baby I'm going to need to realistically think about a job. So I don't think perminent color is a good idea. I need something I can remove for a job interview. A plus is these would be washable and re-useable. But the idea involves money. Which I have none of.
    I want to learn to apply make up with some sort of skill instead of feeling like a retarded fourteen year old. I'm too old to look like I just learned to use my makeup kit. Even though I did. (Well sort of, considering I DONT know what I'm doing most of the time.)
    I also want to do some artsy fartsy stuff. Maybe I'll do some designs in my notebook or something. But that doesn't seem quite what I want to do. I want to do something bigger, more fun and more time consuming. But I don't really have space nor time.
    I need more ideas for crafty artsy things to do. When the girls are older I think I will make them each some rag dolls. Maybe I should make them a quilt. Or each of them a quilt. Since I know kids suck at sharing. I know I did. So maybe I'll just find some scraps and start sewing those togather. I know how to do blankets and pillows and such. It's clothing that confuses me after all.
    Any one have any good ideas for things I could make for the girls? I have all kinds of art supplies. I have paint, beads, yarn, paper, magazines, hot glue, tissue paper, and a number of other random items.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Slam Dunk Da Funk Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai is making a name for themselves Soshi Kitai's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: I want to learn!

Bellbottoms!

..........except I'm the only person in the world (other than Abu) that would admit that they actually like bellbottoms.

I dunno, I haven't sewn in years. Ragdolls and pillows sound awesome though.
    Scrap-frames? Dunno...

Hope you find something awesome to make~!

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

craftzine.com: CRAFT: Dedicated to the renaissance in the world of crafts.

that place has lots of good ideas and links! the magazine itself is pretty kick awesome as well!

as for the "fat girl clothes", start out with simple stuff like making a purse or a cell phone case, and then move on to stuff like A-line skirts!
    craft and fabric stores will be your best friend if you really get into it, and maybe strike up conversations with the regulars to learn some tips!

( ^o^)/ Church ladies are the best though, i will admit~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soshi Kitai View Post
    Bellbottoms!

..........except I'm the only person in the world (other than Abu) that would admit that they actually like bellbottoms.

I dunno, I haven't sewn in years. Ragdolls and pillows sound awesome though.
    Scrap-frames? Dunno...

Hope you find something awesome to make~!
    I admit to liking bellbottoms! They're relatively easy to make too if you just add to already existing pants. That is actually a pretty good idea for me. I can add some personal touches to some old pants and such that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dhabi View Post
    craftzine.com: CRAFT: Dedicated to the renaissance in the world of crafts.

that place has lots of good ideas and links! the magazine itself is pretty kick awesome as well!

as for the "fat girl clothes", start out with simple stuff like making a purse or a cell phone case, and then move on to stuff like A-line skirts!
    craft and fabric stores will be your best friend if you really get into it, and maybe strike up conversations with the regulars to learn some tips!

( ^o^)/ Church ladies are the best though, i will admit~
    THanks much for the link! I will have to check it out when I get back later today.

I have no use for a cell phone case, but a purse would be a definite good start. Thanks for the suggestion. And skirts were a definite next place to go anyways. I think even without a pattern I could make a skirt. Like I said my grandma taught me basics. And I can always ask her for help. She made all my mothers clothing as a kid and such. I already love the fabric and craft stores so that will be no problem. But checking to see if they maybe have some beginners classes might be a good idea too. There is also a "sewing circle" on one of my local EGL live journal communities, I bet they'd be pretty willing to help if I get to know them so maybe I'll frequent them more often. Lol.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Will you make me some pants? ^_^

I had a thing for making my own clothes for a while, when I lived with Matt. I made a pair of... Well, I guess you can call them bell-bottoms, using Dee's sewing machine. I took an old pair of Jnco Jeans and sewed some old winter fatigues in to the seam. I loved them!

I'd love to have time to do it myself, but I'd never get anything done with my lack of resources and short attention span.

...I'm serious about those pants, LOL. Will you sew them for me?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Will you make me some pants? ^_^

I had a thing for making my own clothes for a while, when I lived with Matt. I made a pair of... Well, I guess you can call them bell-bottoms, using Dee's sewing machine. I took an old pair of Jnco Jeans and sewed some old winter fatigues in to the seam. I loved them!

I'd love to have time to do it myself, but I'd never get anything done with my lack of resources and short attention span.

...I'm serious about those pants, LOL. Will you sew them for me?
    Gladly,but it will be a while before I have the needed materials, and I wanna do some stuff for myself first....D is a grand person to ask questions of though!!!

+ Reply to Thread