+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: After the Virginia Tech tragedy, possible backlash?

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

After the Virginia Tech tragedy, possible backlash?

As you all know by now the shooter has been identify as Cho Seung-Hui, an English major that was soon to graduate from the school. From what I learned in the last few days, Blacksburg is said to be a very friendly and a very traditional American town. It is very welcoming to newcomers and because of the Virginia Tech that it has its share of students from all over the world, making it a somewhat diverse town.

While many of the people are still grieving, there is also the fallout to the tragedy. After the 9/11 incidents, there was a major backlash toward people of middle eastern descent in addition to those that were thought to be "one of them." As a classmate once recalled about the days after 9/11, despite being a Mexican American, his car was damaged and graffiti-ed with hateful messages.

Despite not having the same magnitude, there will definitely be an amount of animosity toward the Asians in the community. There are always individuals out there who will jump on every opportunity to commit hateful acts.

What do you guys think about this?? Will the people of Blacksburg be able to overcome their emotions?? What about the neighboring cities/states that have Asian communities?

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: After the Virginia Tech tragedy, possible backlash?

Looking at what you mentioned about the town...

I'm pretty sure there will be many, if not a handfull of people, commiting any hateful act/s. Since the guy was Asian [by name anyway] there are going to be chances that people would be like "Oi you Asian dude! **************************" and so on...

Yes there might be a backlash but on the other hand I can say that the town is open minded so... there might not be a backlash?

~ beri-chan ~ hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu may be famous one day hamu-hamu's Avatar
    Thanks

Although there is the possibility of backlash, people too, are aware that the shooting was commited by one person and it would be unjust to treat all other Asians in the community and surroundings, differently.
    True, there will always be a scar that this tragic event was caused by an Asain but people are open-minded and as Rave_Grip said, maybe there won't be any backlash.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

oh yeah...there's going to be one alright...especially your a loner type and asian...
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, from what I read in my local newspaper the boy was a South Korean.

I think there would be that much of a backlash though it might be bad in the town itself and those directly affected by the tragedy. It all depends on the people I suppose, whether they accept that it is the work of that one individual but I don't think many people are that forgiving when in grief
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

After a couple years maybe they will start to recover from that. Although....it is really sad to see how by a few bad foreign people.... some people judge us really bad....
    I am not saying is anybody's fault... but beacuse of a few, ppl judge the many....
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

God's Little Girl blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel may be famous one day blue_rebel's Avatar
    Thanks

There are loads of Koreans in America... hopefully they won't all be hated by people who can't bring themselves to be less racist about the incident. One of my soon-to-be coursemates at NYU is Korean, and she lives in VA as well. Apparently people have been giving her and her friends (especially the guys) funny looks, and avoiding them. Simply because they're of Korean descent. Now I think that's really ridiculous. Just because of ONE guy who had a problem, people now think that in every Korean there is a frighteningly vicious gunman waiting to unleash a barrage of fire on his/her classmates?

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but from the sound of it, my Korean friends in VA are feeling pretty miserable.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

according to his teacher, he was a very disturb individual who has has a lot issues socially. his english teacher was concerned that she wants him to go counceling but he refuses it. even in his works as an english major student, he displays very violent and very graphic content in his writings. the very reason why this kind of people came to be is because our society today.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast