+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Thread: After the Virginia Tech tragedy, possible backlash?

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: After the Virginia Tech tragedy, possible backlash?

Quote Originally Posted by Shodokan View Post
    Choi had mental health issues that were beyond the scope of a counselor. He needed psychological and pschiatric treatment. Not someone who would just pat him on the back when he was feeling down. Choi did not suddenly just become angry or upset one day he was suffering from mental illness for quite some time before this happened.
    It was not just counseling. He voluntarily went to a mental health facility, where a doctor diagnosed him with being Cho was mentally ill, but not an imminent threat to himself or others.

My point was the media is feeding of of this man's mental illness. They are not giving enough attention to the innocent lives that were taken that day, nor are they trying to highten school security systems. They are drowning us with video tape recordings and pictures and whatnot of this guy. And it's making me sick.

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

He really went to a mental health faciltity? That doctor's fired.

They're feeding off people's fear not his mental health issues. Perhaps we should honor the fallen.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

I think we should. And yeah, Choi had been suffering from mental illness for a long time, not to mention what his horrible works show.
    And as Shudokan said "neglected by society"... which might not be entirely true. But how many times was he offered help?

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    Eh, I doubt we'll see any Korean stomping from this.

I think society plays a part in the development of someone like this but not as much as you'd think. Once we reach the age where we can defind good and evil, right and wrong it's all up to us to choose how we act and what we do. This kid just couldn't handle the shit going on in his life and decided to cop-out like a child instead of acting like an adult and dealing with it, honestly sounds like he should have been 14, not 22 or w/e.
    I was curious about this one. Maybe he just really really really wanted to do some detruction? Hate so deeply imbedded that he wanted to take out all he could, the way he wanted? Like you said, we choose how we act and what we do, so couldn't he just seriously hate people and want go out with a bang?

Not against you, just contemplating really.

Hmm considering backlash. I already posted what I thought of it, having no fear myself. Just wanted to add, that even if there was some bashing van traveling the streets in the near future, it would be against the Asian community as a whole, definentally not a single race. I have lived in plenty of places, and once.. only once in my life have I ever come across someone who actually guessed I was from South Korea.

It should be safe to say that backlash will prob never happen for SK's because most Americans can't figure out where we are from unless they have it written on paper; even then it isn't a gaurenteee they will remember.
    (No offense)

This sounds ridiculous, but since we are a growing community and are numerous, not knowing who anyone is will keep quite a few people in check.

Being arrested for beating a person to a pulp and then being called an ignorant moron for the rest of your life, because you couldn't even figure out that this person was from an entirely different country.

Kinda like those hillbillies harrassing the girl from India just weeks after 9/11.

Newbie Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi may be famous one day Linren Seishi's Avatar
    Thanks

It is pitiful though that people still think of others in terms of races. If a backlash does occur, it just shows you that the world has a long way to go to deal with the problem of racism. It's to the point that the fault of one person becomes the fault of all who share his race and homecountry.
    I personally find it a little depressing in that way.
    Sorry if I went off topic with this post
    Dreams of snow falling softly in the dark-filled night,
    Dreams of wings and stars and endless light.
    I'd live a thousand years and wait a thousand more for you,
    I'd dream a thousand dreams and hope that dreams come true.

Otaku Tavrail may be famous one day Tavrail may be famous one day
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7