+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Anime Was Banned

Newbie The Great One is off to a good start
    Thanks

Re: Anime Was Banned

I think your father is very much overreacting!

He was either a soldier in the pacific during WW II or has some kind of jingo-istic hatred of the Japanese culture.

You do not state your age, so no one can advise you on wether to exert your independence.

If you are over 18, you haave the right to read, watch and study whatever you wish.

There may be consequences to this freedom, however, keep it "under your hat" until you are ready to live on your own or your old man grows up!

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ron119125 View Post
    Your best bet is to contact legal aid tell them whats going on and that you want to be emancipated. BE SURE you can support your self first also have your arguements all set up and explaine why you are intrested in japenese culture and anime ie. you want to be a translator or do voice overs for anime to be relased in the US. Good luck.
    Well he/she better have other good arguments beside anime. Dont think a judge is going to let you divorce your parent over not getting to see anime.

Newbie Jerunos is off to a good start Jerunos's Avatar
    Thanks

Well i think you should not give up your dreams or your like. First of all watching Anime is not a crime! If your dad don't like you to watch Anime then try to understand for awhile it will take time for your dad to understand what you really like. One day he will realize that is not bad to watch Anime or to learn the culture of other countries. Sorry if the advice is so late. I haven't check this site for more than four monhts. One day if you have your own life, you can do anything you want. No one will stop you watching Anime and learn Japan's culture so be patient for awhile. Well take care.

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Well he/she better have other good arguments beside anime. Dont think a judge is going to let you divorce your parent over not getting to see anime.
    He's right. Your case would be thrown out before you even get on the bus. If you really want to elevate the situation to a lawsuit you better have a good lawyer and a good case. If you live in a small town with big religious values (I usually attach those towns to be ignorant of outside cultures) your case is toast.

Just be very careful. Hopefully you have the means to support yourself after emancipation. And remember you are not doing it just for yourself. If you have siblings you are potentially putting them in a situation where they might end up in a foster home depending on your case.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku ILikeApples5520 is off to a good start ILikeApples5520's Avatar
    Thanks

Naomi, if this is truly serious and there are many other serious issues going on, then u should definitely consider emancipation.

If your father abuses you in any physical way (I hope he doesn't), then you already have a very strong case. Just make sure to contact a state child abuse department if this is the case.

Thanks to _gwenibe_ for this awesome sig!

Otaku Master_badger may be famous one day Master_badger may be famous one day
    Thanks

Don't worry too much. Your are in the age when you don't understand your parents and your parents don't understand you at all. More if them watch Death note or Bleach. For the major part of the parents on the world this things are bad, and they want the best for their sons. So, if them think this series are bad, well, you know the rest of the story.

Just give time to time. When you grew up a little and know more things and your dad's too, the things will be different. I grant you.
    "Knowledge is power"

Pro Utilitate Hominum LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator may be famous one day LordCastigator's Avatar
    You know that feeling, like you're being watched...
    Thanks

Finally, I found this again. Now, let's see what's going on...

Reading through all the replies, it's good to see people still wanting to help others out. There's a lot of good advice amongst these replies, though which is best you'll have to decide, since your the only one who knows the full situation. Going off what I've read, part of the problem could be the Animes you mentioned you like to watch. Bleach tends to show off a few monsters & deals with death from what I've seen, Death Note following similar lines. Mind you, it does also sound like he could be a bit racist, or at least stubborn, though I'll admit I don't know the whole situation.

I'd suggest talking to him, find out why he doesn't like Anime or Japanese culture to start off. I noticed someone mentioned you're about 16, is that about right? That is pretty young to leave home, so think carefully if you plan to leave. It's not exactly the nicest world out there, especially if your a teen. Plus if you have brothers &/or sisters living at home too, that's another thing to think about.

So yeah, the best advise I can give you is talk to him, then have a good hard think about why you want to leave home, why he doesn't want you watching Anime, as well as all your options. The last thing you'd wanna do is make some rash decision & find out the hard way how hard the world is. Things may seem rough when your a teen, but once you hit the real world, your teen years can be like silk compared. Usually parents are just trying to do the best for their kids.

Hope all this stuff helps.

The Madman previously known as Daniel219

Wish I could get on here more often. *Sigh* The down side to night shift...

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi, but isn't this a bit much for a reaction to his keeping you off anime? Perhaps you could talk things over with him and see if his reasons for the household ban are valid. If they aren't, and you can't sway him to your way of seeing things, your best option would probably be to just leave it at that till you get old enough to make decisions apart from him. So just bide your time, and wait till they send you off to college.

For now, why not see this as an opportunity to try out other things? Learn a new language. Read more about some other culture (I personally recommend French). Learn a new skill. Anime, or even Japanese culture in general, just isn't something worth dying for, so don't throw it all away just yet, 'kay?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast